2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Supposedly he doesn't interview well either.

It depends on what the context is. If it’s like Mike Zimmer where he didn’t interview well because he was blunt about what was wrong with the organization, then that’s fine. If he is just absolutely clueless about things like staff or situational football, then yeah that’s bad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I admired Aaron Glenn as a player and a leader. I would be thrilled to see him get a head coaching opportunity.

I think it's more likely someone brings Glenn along as a DC. Someone like Pete Carmichael taking a HC job and bringing Glenn as a DC makes a ton of sense.

Tony Pauline was on a recent podcast and said he heard that Robert Saleh and 49ers personnel guy Adam Peters were in strong consideration for the HC/GM combo in Detroit. Saleh is a Michigan native, went to college at Northern Michigan and coached at Central Michigan and Michigan State among others -  so it would make sense from that POV

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Tony Pauline was on a recent podcast and said he heard that Robert Saleh and 49ers personnel guy Adam Peters were in strong consideration for the HC/GM combo in Detroit. Saleh is a Michigan native, went to college at Northern Michigan and coached at Central Michigan and Michigan State among others -  so it would make sense from that POV

Would suck to lose Peters, but like Saleh, both have earned their crack at it. A lot of us figured that at some point we'd make Lynch president of OPs and given Peters the GM title in order to keep him. Especially since the GM personnel job is basically a group effort in SF in many ways, and Lynch is an excellent figurehead. 

42 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm still surprised Eberflus isn't getting more buzz.

Don't see the hype with Saleh.

I feel the opposite with Saleh tbh - I was a little skeptical about him last year because there was a way to interpret his performance as just getting to ride the coattails and cheerlead a defense that was completely stacked with blue chip talent all over the place. There have been some rough patches this year but all in all the way in which he has stabilized the defense this year despite being decimated from injuries points to a pretty high-level coaching performance on his part. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I feel the opposite with Saleh tbh - I was a little skeptical about him last year because there was a way to interpret his performance as just getting to ride the coattails and cheerlead a defense that was completely stacked with blue chip talent all over the place. There have been some rough patches this year but all in all the way in which he has stabilized the defense this year despite being decimated from injuries points to a pretty high-level coaching performance on his part. 

I really like Saleh, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out this was Patricia's EXACT narrative. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I really like Saleh, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out this was Patricia's EXACT narrative. 

Bit different being a DC under Belichek versus Saleh literally running the entire side of the ball. That, along with the way his players love him/talk about him, the adaptivility of his defense/putting guys in their best position to succeed, and all around persona screams HC.

Patricia was raved about too way back when. No HC candidate is guaranteed to have success as there's so much that goes into it, but Saleh is a legitimately v good HC candidate imo.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Think Jason Garrett's going to be on the table? Or are memories of The Clapper still too fresh?

He's done a pretty good job as Giants OC, I'll give him that, but I don't expect him to be a long-term fixture.

Given the disaster the Cowboys have been under McCarthy and Jerry's reputation for meddling, I think Garrett gets another crack at it pretty soon. 

I've personally never been enamored with the Cowboys or their roster the way some have. I always felt like Garrett overachieved almost as often as he underachieved when you take the goggles off. I'd like to see what he can do without Jerry Jones all up in his business. Not to come across as a Garrett mark or anything, I just feel like he's a hard one to get a full read on given the overall climate in Dallas. Usually, I'm not a huge fan of retread HC's who spent a long time somewhere, as that usually means they've gone stale (McCarthy, Crennell, Jackson), but there are exceptions (Reid, Rivera, Gruden). I think Garrett probably falls into the latter if we're being totally honest.

• Like 1