2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/buzz-growing-that-prominent-college-coaches-could-make-jump-to-nfl-in-2021-amid-pandemic-fallout/

Names that we've all been thinking may make the jump to the NFL and never did, could actually be looking to do so in 2021.

Definitely interesting and thanks for sharing. I just don't trust anything La Canfora says lol

6 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I think Mike McDaniel deserves a mention as the run game coordinator for the Niners.

I believe Mike has some demons in his closet with regards to substance abuse, so I dont think he will get a shot as a HC right now. 

I think he will be an OC somewhere though, especially if Saleh gets hired 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, Gus was/is the same way. Didn't seem to ever adjust to what offenses schemed to holes in the defense nor altered the scheme to fit players strengths. Wash does the same thing now.

He is absolutely still the same way.

• Like 3

Shane Waldron seems very overrated on this list. McVay basically demoted him when he hired O'Connell.

10 hours ago, scar988 said:

There's a reason why it didn't work in Atlanta. Quinn never actually knew how to run that defense. He was a defensive line coach with terrible game management. Morris is showing just how much better the defensive talent was than the scheme by putting guys in spots to win. 

That's hard to believe. He was phenomenal as the UF DC.

17 hours ago, tannenballs said:

Yeah I have Urban in the long shot category for the NFL with the usuals such as Saban, Dabo, Lincoln Riley and David Shaw.

I think Urban is waiting for a blue blood such as Texas, USC or Notre Dame. 

I keep thinking Urban Meyer knows he needs the fundamental advantage. Conventional wisdom assigns that to a blueblood college program, like the ones you mentioned. But it could also mean the Jets job, if they qualify for Trevor Lawrence, and Lawrence does declare. 

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Shane Waldron seems very overrated on this list. McVay basically demoted him when he hired O'Connell.

That's hard to believe. He was phenomenal as the UF DC.

He wasn't running that Seattle C3 at UF. He was running a completely different defense.

17 hours ago, ET80 said:

Good.

On 11/18/2020 at 5:11 AM, tannenballs said:

7. Brandon Staley LAR DC

I really don’t want him to get a HC job that quickly. He is still so raw in the NFL that I would see him being a failure. In 2016, he was the DC for John Carroll, so he hasn’t been in the NFL that long. I remember seeing this guy playing in HS and was in his little brother’s class. I don’t want him to fail because of a lack of experience. Still think this guy is still a few years away. 

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

I really don’t want him to get a HC job that quickly. He is still so raw in the NFL that I would see him being a failure. In 2016, he was the DC for John Carroll, so he hasn’t been in the NFL that long. I remember seeing this guy playing in HS and was in his little brother’s class. I don’t want him to fail because of a lack of experience. Still think this guy is still a few years away. 

Good news is that defensive coaches aren't as popular right now. But he's been incredible this year as our DC. Absolutely shuts teams down in the second half.