2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Looks like Herbert delivered the kiss of death to our dream of firing Lynn and getting someone like Daboll. Rookie mistake unfortunately.

https://mobile.twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1344352760326590465

I really don't think a player liking a coach/backing them would do that. Most players do that every year. Myles Jack did the same for Doug Marrone.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:40 AM, soflbillsfan said:

My only thing with the Texans is the knock of not only draft picks but also cap space. While Watson is great and no question about it Trevor has been the most talked about qb since Andrew Luck came out. So the expectations of him being as good as Watson based on what scouts and media are saying will be done in year 1 with the right coach, whether that is true we will only see. jags have the mostt cap space the #1 pick and multiple 1st round picks on top of a young offensive core with Chark, Westbrook, Cole, Conley, and Shenault. Plus a rookie rb who had over 1,000 rushing yards in Robinson. I think texans job is super appealing I just think there is more worked to be involved even if they have a top tier qb in watson. 

Jags also have some good pieces on the OL and defense. Cam Robinson, Norwell, Jawaan Taylor all very solid. Guys like Chaisson, Bryan, Gotsis, JAck, Schobert on defense give some potential there too. Forgot about Josh Allen, Abry Jones, Linder and Sidney Jones.

Edited by scar988

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I really don't think a player liking a coach/backing them would do that. Most players do that every year. Myles Jack did the same for Doug Marrone.

It’s a cumulative effect more than anything else. Lynn pulling a 2019 Quinn and finishing the season strong. The fact that the players, FO, and most importantly the owners, legitimately like Lynn. They will also give him a mulligan for this year because of Covid. I would be pleasantly surprised if he does get fired after this season. But he and TT should be fired though. It’s just like them holding onto Norv Turner and AJ Smith a year too late in 2012 for the exact same reasons. With that it was the weird 2011 CBA offseason and Rivers plus others speaking out for Norv.

4 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It’s a cumulative effect more than anything else. Lynn pulling a 2019 Quinn and finishing the season strong. The fact that the players, FO, and most importantly the owners, legitimately like Lynn. They will also give him a mulligan for this year because of Covid. I would be pleasantly surprised if he does get fired after this season. But he and TT should be fired though. It’s just like them holding onto Norv Turner and AJ Smith a year too late in 2012 for the exact same reasons. With that it was the weird 2011 CBA offseason and Rivers plus others speaking out for Norv.

Yeah I mean they may but I don't think it'll have to do with that quote is all I'm saying.

Also, Jags and Texans are such dream jobs for HC’s right now imo. Jags have two 1sts, one being Lawrence, and a decent young defensive roster. Plus Florida is nice. 

Texans you have a Top 4 QB, and that defense really underachieved with BoB. Texans doesn’t need a rebuild. A one year reload with a Grade A draft and Grade A FA and they are 100% back in business. Texas also a nice place to live. 

Falcon job doesn’t look half bad either. You got Matt Ryan, and a young defense that looked tremendous the second half of the season, especially A.J. Terrell. 

IF the Chargers job opens it up (it should, keeping Lynn is a mistake), that also ranks right there with Houston and Jacksonville. You have Justin Herbert, a D that should be Top 10 easily but riddled with injuries. I mean that team is just an OL and great HC away from being a very good playoff team. And Los Angeles is a fun place. 

Jets is kind of a meh one. You get the #2 pick, but that team needs A LOT of work. Is the GM going to commit to you for at least three years? Cause the next two seasons for the Jets I see like 4-12/6-10 topps. 

Lions is the least desirable place imo. An aging Matt Stafford, and the team just has massive holes everywhere. They are a sleeper for me to get a Top 3-4 pick next season. 

Lions best bet is if Jim Harbaugh wants to come back to the NFL and wants to stay in Michigan. Because Detroit will probably be the least desirable Head Coaching job. 

Edited by BayRaider

I've never been a fan of letting the HC go but letting the GM stay, or vice-versa, etc. 

For recent examples, look at the Jets firing Mike Maccagnan but keeping Adam Gase. Or the Lions firing Jim Caldwell but keeping Bob Quinn. Or the Niners "mutually parting" ways with Harbaugh but keeping Baalke. 

Almost always, it should be a clean sweep. 

47 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I've never been a fan of letting the HC go but letting the GM stay, or vice-versa, etc. 

For recent examples, look at the Jets firing Mike Maccagnan but keeping Adam Gase. Or the Lions firing Jim Caldwell but keeping Bob Quinn. Or the Niners "mutually parting" ways with Harbaugh but keeping Baalke. 

Almost always, it should be a clean sweep. 

To be fair, the Jets fired Maccagnan after Gase was already hired and the draft was done. It was the same situation that happened when the Bills first hired McDermott, and the then GM Whaley was replaced by Beane.

Another example include Les Snead keeping his job after Fisher was fired. Now he’s forever linked with McVay.

Edited by Xenos

"The Jaguars haven’t made a final decision on coach Doug Marrone’s future, but he’s expected to be replaced in the days following Sunday’s finale against the Colts -- and they’re expected to make a run at least one possible big-name replacement.

The team has shown interest in former Florida and Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, who has been lining up a staff and telling people he’s close to in the football community that he expects to land in Jacksonville, per sources."

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/jaguars-expected-to-move-on-from-doug-marrone-with-eyes-on-urban-meyer-as-possib?__twitter_impression=true

Hello Urban...