2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

8 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

All Buckeyes. Ian Rapoport tweeting that Jaguars will make Urban Meyer a top target, but if he decides to stay retired the push will be toward Ryan Day:

Breer said Daboll yesterday.

Ultimately it sounds like it's Urban's if he wants it, and if not there's going to be a wide net casted.

8 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

All Buckeyes. Ian Rapoport tweeting that Jaguars will make Urban Meyer a top target, but if he decides to stay retired the push will be toward Ryan Day:

Fwiw, Day has history with Baalke if the latter stays.  Day was QB coach for chip with the niners the last year of Baalkes tenure

15 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I don't like the Urban idea. I think Ryan Day is a better choice.

I'm 100% here for Urban.

He has some things that worry me for sure, but he's a CEO type of HC that would establish a legit culture/vision here. We haven't had that since Coughlin. The staff he puts together is critical. I'd like to see at least 1-2 previous HCs on in some capacity.

As I said in other threads, hiring a hot coordinator like Daboll/Brady is just as if not more risky. They don't know what being a HC/being in charge of an entire team entails. There's risk everywhere. I believe in Urban's ability with all his connections (and he does have tons at the NFL level) to put together a solid staff.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I'm 100% here for Urban.

He has some things that worry me for sure, but he's a CEO type of HC that would establish a legit culture/vision here. We haven't had that since Coughlin. The staff he puts together is critical. I'd like to see at least 1-2 previous HCs on in some capacity.

As I said in other threads, hiring a hot coordinator like Daboll/Brady is just as if not more risky. They don't know what being a HC/being in charge of an entire team entails. There's risk everywhere. I believe in Urban's ability with all his connections (and he does have tons at the NFL level) to put together a solid staff.

Urban is a CEO type college HC. IMO, that's a problem. His skill has always been recruiting teams that are simply better than their opposition. I'm not saying the guy isn't a good HC. But I am saying that the NFL is a different beast, and if you're going to take a college HC, he should be a phenomenal X's and O's guy imo. That's not Meyer. And if we're talking culture, the culture he built at UF was toxic. I can't speak to Ohio State. It would worry me that you're relying on a CEO HC who has no NFL experience. There's a huge difference between leading college kids and leading paid professionals. Urban is a winner. This could pan out in a major way. But it could also very easily blow up in your face. And when things aren't going well, Urban's "medical problems" tend to flare up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I believe Nick Saban will become an NFL coach in 2022 based on where Mac Jones is expected to land in the 2022 draft. Unless Mac Jones declares this year, which would bring Saban into the NFL in 2021.

Jones will likely declare this year and I have no idea why that would impact Saban at all.

Saban makes 8+ million a year, owns the state of alabama, and basically has unlimited job security. He's already tasted the nfl doesn't appear to have liked it

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Urban is a CEO type college HC. IMO, that's a problem. His skill has always been recruiting teams that are simply better than their opposition. I'm not saying the guy isn't a good HC. But I am saying that the NFL is a different beast, and if you're going to take a college HC, he should be a phenomenal X's and O's guy imo. That's not Meyer. And if we're talking culture, the culture he built at UF was toxic. I can't speak to Ohio State. It would worry me that you're relying on a CEO HC who has no NFL experience. There's a huge difference between leading college kids and leading paid professionals. Urban is a winner. This could pan out in a major way. But it could also very easily blow up in your face. And when things aren't going well, Urban's "medical problems" tend to flare up.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. There's questions/concerns. But the man has won every single stop he's been on and been to the top of the mountain in college. He has a golden setup in JAX to build it how he wants it from scratch with a generational QB prospect and a coaching staff he's been working on/building for two years (there's been reports of him researching the move since he got into TV).

As far as medical concerns, his stops in Florida and OSU were 6-7 years. If he's able to get this organization going in the right direction/success for that amount of time and bolt so be it. If stress truly was an issue, than at least he won't have to do the 24/7 recruiting that college entails. 

Like I said, you gotta take some risks. This would be a fun hire.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Jones will likely declare this year and I have no idea why that would impact Saban at all.

Saban makes 8+ million a year, owns the state of alabama, and basically has unlimited job security. He's already tasted the nfl doesn't appear to have liked it

If Saban is given the right offer he will bolt to the NFL in an instant

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He had that while Zach Smith issue at osu

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. There's questions/concerns. But the man has won every single stop he's been on and been to the top of the mountain in college. He has a golden setup in JAX to build it how he wants it from scratch with a generational QB prospect and a coaching staff he's been working on/building for two years (there's been reports of him researching the move since he got into TV).

As far as medical concerns, his stops in Florida and OSU were 6-7 years. If he's able to get this organization going in the right direction/success for that amount of time and bolt so be it. If stress truly was an issue, than at least he won't have to do the 24/7 recruiting that college entails. 

I would just rather have Ryan Day in your shoes, personally. I think his system translates well to the NFL, he's a bright offensive mind, and he has proven at OSU that he can lead a team. It's a safer transition. Obviously, I don't know what type of leader Day is, but he at least has coached in the NFL and knows what it's like. Urban is a boom/bust hire. It could go very well, or it could end up like Bobby Petrino.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The stress of the NFL isn’t any easier IMO. It’s just as hard and time consuming in different ways. I would also worry about his health after every loss.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1