2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

32 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Their owners are horrible. Probably the worst owners in the NFL not named Stan Kroenke.

No. The Spanos are hardly the worst. Probably closer to middle of the pack. People forget that owners like Jerry Jones, Snyder, Mike Brown, Jim Haslam, and Mark Davis exist. Their main strength is that they rarely meddle and usually give a coach time. Weakness is that outside of the salary cap, they’re more hesitant to spend. Though I think moving to LA has helped a little bit in that regards.

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't understand the love for Meyer at the NFL level. He has never struck me as a great football mind coach but more of a brilliant recruiter at the college level. Some stupid team will give him a bunch of money though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I don't understand the love for Meyer at the NFL level. He has never struck me as a great football mind coach but more of a brilliant recruiter at the college level. Some stupid team will give him a bunch of money though. 

Won at Bowling Green, won at Utah, won at Florida, won at Ohio State.

Of course he was a fantastic recruiter. You do what you have to do at the level you're at. He's a great program builder and has won at every stop he's been. Think saying he hasn't been a good coach is a pretty wild take.

Not like there's not risk there, but that goes for any of these guys. He's also going to be able to assemble a great staff with his connections which will be important.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

No. The Spanos are hardly the worst. Probably closer to middle of the pack. People forget that owners like Jerry Jones, Snyder, Mike Brown, Jim Haslam, and Mark Davis exist. Their main strength is that they rarely meddle and usually give a coach time. Weakness is that outside of the salary cap, they’re more hesitant to spend. Though I think moving to LA has helped a little bit in that regards.

In-season, sure.  But have you forgotten that John and Dean made retention of the existing coordinators a contingency for the last two head coaches they hired?  They interfere plenty, it's just not to the level that Jerruh used to do.

8 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I never said this. I think he is a great college coach. I don't think he will translate well to the NFL however. 

Could be the case, we'll see. As I've stated before, I just don't see how hiring a hot shot playcaller who's never headed a team/program as being any more of a sure thing.

8 minutes ago, tannenballs said:

Allen's stint with the Raiders would give me pause if I were hiring, granted it wasn't an easy situation. If I were SD I would be setting my sights on Daboll, his work with Allen was spectacular and Herbert/Allen are physically almost identical only Herbert had a much better rookie season. He could build something formidable in LA.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Could be the case, we'll see. I just don't see how hiring a hot shot playcaller who's never headed a team/program as being any more of a sure thing.

I think its more just personal preference. I believe his best attribute is finding and recruiting talent. Something that is not transferrable to the NFL IMO. I would rather take a chance at a hot shot play caller. 

Edited by Spartacus

Just now, Spartacus said:

I think its more just personal preference. IMO I believe his best attribute is finding and recruiting talent. Something that is not transferrable to the NFL IMO. I would rather take a chance at a hot shot play caller. 

Like I said, that's what most top coaches in colleges do. You do what you need to get the job done and be on top. Bringing in elite talent is how you do that. Anyone at the top schools will have that attached. Ryan Day is now doing the same thing at OSU.

He won at Bowling Green and Utah prior to getting the blue chippers you talked about as well.

Definitely personal preference though.