2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

37 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Fichtner may well suck, but I remember Steelers fans crapping on Bruce Arians when he was OC too.

Because Arians was a terrible playcaller.  Indy fans had the same gripes.   He constantly called long developing pass plays even when the pass blocking sucked.   He would abandon things that were working, and keep calling plays that didnt.

He is a better head coach than he was an OC, but I would easily take him over Fitchner.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

Because Arians was a terrible playcaller.  Indy fans had the same gripes.   He constantly called long developing pass plays even when the pass blocking sucked.   He would abandon things that were working, and keep calling plays that didnt.

He is a better head coach than he was an OC, but I would easily take him over Fitchner.

That's my point, though. Well, that's part of it. The other part is that fans tend not to like their OC.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's my point, though. Well, that's part of it. The other part is that fans tend not to like their OC.

I agree on both statements.

Fitchner could certainly be a better HC than an OC.     I just want him gone as OC.   You are right that fans usually dont like their OC, but when an OC makes you miss Todd Haley, thats saying something.  😏

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

I agree on both statements.

Fitchner could certainly be a better HC than an OC.     I just want him gone as OC.   You are right that fans usually dont like their OC, but when an OC makes you miss Todd Haley, thats saying something.  😏

Speaking of Todd Haley, I was curious what he was doing (when I remembered he preceded Fichtner). He's now an OC for a Florida high school lol.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Speaking of Todd Haley, I was curious what he was doing (when I remembered he preceded Fichtner). He's now an OC for a Florida high school lol.

Ha....wow, thats a fall from grace.   Thought he could at least get a division 2 college job with his resume.     Sure, the only times his offenses looked good was with HOF players carrying it, but you would think it would be enough to get a better job.   

Regardless, Im sure that Florida team runs way too many horribly designed screens and runs the same plays that arent working over and over again.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I can’t believe the Chiefs had him as the Head Coach 😂

those were dark days

Edited by Chiefer

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

No, Trubs was hired during the John Fox era, I think...

Yep. Tru was picked by Pace and Fox had no idea what the pick was going to be. Nagy came here and he was charged with developing Tru, who he was apparently high on pre-draft.

Fast forward 3 years later and the offense and Tru regressed each year, can't make adjustments at halftime (unless Patterson returning a kickoff for a TD counts  lol) and now they traded a 4th for Foles because they had firmly placed the blame on Tru for the offensive struggles. Now we are offensively only ahead of the Jets, but they are looking at Lawrence in the draft while the Bears defense got them to a 5-1 start. Clearly Tru isn't absolved of being a mediocre QB, but Nagy compounded all the issues and has no one left to scapegoat.

He and Pace both need the boot, but Pace may get to scapegoat Nagy. Word is that Fox was pushed on him and the owners love Pace. Hopefully not though, he can't evaluate offensive talent and doesn't prioritize OTs.

• Like 2

Honestly, I think Saleh deserves more of a HC look this year than he did last year. 

A drunk panda could have coordinated the defense last year with that talent. This year the talent is gone but the defense isn't bad. They aren't good, but that's a current talent problem more so than anything else. But he's done a really good job of making what adjustments he can to compensate (more man coverages, mixing in cover 2 when needed but then flipping to a single high game against certain opponents). He still has his warts as a DC, no doubt...and I personally would never hire a defensive minded head coach in the current NFL landscape, but he's got a personality that players love, is intelligent, etc. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I think Saleh deserves more of a HC look this year than he did last year. 

A drunk panda could have coordinated the defense last year with that talent. This year the talent is gone but the defense isn't bad. They aren't good, but that's a current talent problem more so than anything else. But he's done a really good job of making what adjustments he can to compensate (more man coverages, mixing in cover 2 when needed but then flipping to a single high game against certain opponents). He still has his warts as a DC, no doubt...and I personally would never hire a defensive minded head coach in the current NFL landscape, but he's got a personality that players love, is intelligent, etc. 

He's such a prominent figure, its hard to imagine him flopping with more responsibility. I was honestly surprised he didnt land a gig last year. If I am Atlanta I have his number on speed dial 1 with my finger on the button until the minute the SF season is over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

He's such a prominent figure, its hard to imagine him flopping with more responsibility. I was honestly surprised he didnt land a gig last year. If I am Atlanta I have his number on speed dial 1 with my finger on the button until the minute the SF season is over. 

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

If you're going for the glorified OC of a HC hire with a bright young offensive mind to develop a QB then fine, but there's more to take into account for a potential HC than just how good he coordinates one side of the ball/whether they're around the top/at the top of the league on that unit.

Saleh just screams HC to me with how people talk to him/his leadership ability.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

If you're going for the glorified OC of a HC hire with a bright young offensive mind to develop a QB then fine, but there's more to take into account for a potential HC than just how good he coordinates one side of the ball/whether they're around the top/at the top of the league on that unit.

Saleh just screams HC to me with how people talk to him/his leadership ability.

A lot of times what happens is you hire a very good coordinator on either side of the ball, but they aren't great communicators and that becomes a problem. Saleh? Complete opposite. Very bright, well respected and good communicator. 

He's also going to bring Mike McDaniels with him wherever he lands and Shanahan swears by him. Hopefully he gets his shot this offseason and on a team that isn't a dumpster fire. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

That sounds silly, frankly. Limiting your pool isn't a good idea imo. Brian Flores, Bill Belichick, Sean McDermott, Pete Carroll, Mike Vrabel, and Mike Tomlin clearly prove that defensive coaches can win. Ultimately, the key is hiring the right coach. It doesn't matter if he's defensive, offensive, or special teams. You need a leader who will surround himself with the right people.