2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

imo the funniest possible outcome here is they hire bieniemy at Watson’s behest and then he sucks

I mean Watson just had the majority of his season called by the thoroughly unremarkable Tim Kelly and still had a ~top 5 season, so frankly it'd be tough to even judge the impact that Bienemy would have on the offense unless he completely tanked it.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Lawrence is a generational QB prospect, let's not put down the prospects Fields and Wilson are just because they don't measure up to arguably the best QB prospect in 10-20 years.

Both have franchise QB upside and passing to "build it up", potentially put yourself in QB purgatory or force you to trade loads of assets in a future draft to get your guy, OR have a set of worse QB prospects to pick from in the future ain't it.

If you have a franchise QB caliber prospect available to you and don't have a franchise QB on your team, take them and don't look back.

I am not putting down Field or Wilson at all. I think both have the potential to be a franchise QB for sure. However if you put them in a situation where there is so little NFL-level around them i don't think they will be able to reach that level. Which then puts you in QB purgatory or you have the same situation again in two or three years.

I am not saying they are crazy if they pick Fields or Wilson far from. Just that i can understand them if they go with a longer approach. 

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

I am not putting down Field or Wilson at all. I think both have the potential to be a franchise QB for sure. However if you put them in a situation where there is so little NFL-level around them i don't think they will be able to reach that level. Which then puts you in QB purgatory or you have the same situation again in two or three years.

I am not saying they are crazy if they pick Fields or Wilson far from. Just that i can understand them if they go with a longer approach. 

They have the second most cap room and loads of picks the next two years.

Hell, it's not like you have to cut Darnold/have to even throw them in the fire immediately. But it's not like many QBs getting drafted top 5-10 go into great situations. 

Coming from a fan who saw us hold onto Bortles and try and build it up instead of replacing him in 2017 or 2018...I saw first hand how detrimental it is to sit on your hands and not be proactive when you don't have a franchise QB.

Just now, .Buzz said:

They have the second most cap room and loads of picks the next two years.

Hell, it's not like you have to cut Darnold/have to even throw them in the fire immediately. But it's not like many QBs getting drafted top 5-10 go into great situations. 

Coming from a fan who saw us hold onto Bortles and try and build it up instead of replacing him in 2017 or 2018...I saw first hand how detrimental it is to sit on your hands and not be proactive when you don't have a franchise QB.

Honestly the situation you guys where in back then is way different from the Jets situation now. You guys got to the AFC Championship in 2017 and while you argue that was in spite of Bortles(which is a fine take) its completely different to where the Jets are now. For the 2017 draft sure if you pick Watson or Mahomes then and they turn out what they are now you are in a completely different situation then where you are now. But the other side of the coin is my team that absolutely whiffed on the first round with Thomas and Foster and still got to the Superbowl in a few years (with a very average QB in Jimmy G.)

There simply is more than one way to get to the promised land and even then you have to have some kind of luck on your side. 

I am not disagreeing with you that if you think a guy is a franchise QB you should pass on him because you have Sam Darnold as your QB. My whole point isn't even that i think Darnold can turn it around and be succesful. Just that putting a guy like Fields in the situation the Jets are in in terms of talent(even if they spend a ton of resources on that offense) might make things worse and if you draft a QB 2nd and he doesn't play much or hit the ground running you get a situation like the one that is happening in Miami where some are already wanting to move on from Tua.

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly the situation you guys where in back then is way different from the Jets situation now. You guys got to the AFC Championship in 2017 and while you argue that was in spite of Bortles(which is a fine take) its completely different to where the Jets are now. For the 2017 draft sure if you pick Watson or Mahomes then and they turn out what they are now you are in a completely different situation then where you are now. But the other side of the coin is my team that absolutely whiffed on the first round with Thomas and Foster and still got to the Superbowl in a few years (with a very average QB in Jimmy G.)

There simply is more than one way to get to the promised land and even then you have to have some kind of luck on your side. 

I am not disagreeing with you that if you think a guy is a franchise QB you should pass on him because you have Sam Darnold as your QB. My whole point isn't even that i think Darnold can turn it around and be succesful. Just that putting a guy like Fields in the situation the Jets are in in terms of talent(even if they spend a ton of resources on that offense) might make things worse and if you draft a QB 2nd and he doesn't play much or hit the ground running you get a situation like the one that is happening in Miami where some are already wanting to move on from Tua.

Too each their own. I obviously disagree.

They pass on Wilson and Fields? Dumb decision and I'd want no part to come in as a coach to that situation unless no other HC gig is available and I just want to get one of the 32 spots regardless.

30 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Stefanski is the guy calling the shots, but Alex Van Pelt *might* get some discussion in 1-2 years.

He did an incredible job against Pittsburgh Sunday night.

Rodgers is a huge AVP fan, and he strongly recommended him for OC in GB. But McCarthy didn't want him for power/control reasons and so CLE is the winner on that one.

• Like 1

@jrry32 I'm going to hijack this thread slightly, but what are your thoughts on Brad Holmes? By all accounts, he seems to be a strong candidate to land the Falcons' GM opening. I get the feeling he's third behind Terry Fontenot and Rick Smith, but that's just speculation based on rumors.

There doesn't seem to be a lot out there on Holmes, but his background being college scouting is a plus. If all things are equal, that has more appeal than pro scouting IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, swoosh said:

@jrry32 I'm going to hijack this thread slightly, but what are your thoughts on Brad Holmes? By all accounts, he seems to be a strong candidate to land the Falcons' GM opening. I get the feeling he's third behind Terry Fontenot and Rick Smith, but that's just speculation based on rumors.

There doesn't seem to be a lot out there on Holmes, but his background being college scouting is a plus. If all things are equal, that has more appeal than pro scouting IMO.

We're stellar when it comes to the Draft. I don't know how much credit goes to each guy. If Holmes is a big reason why, then he's quite good at his job. We haven't had a first round pick since drafting Goff in 2016 (due to trades), yet we've managed to draft a number of starters and impact players over that period of time. And we've found a lot of contributors on Day 3.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Is this hiring process slower than usual or am I crazy? 

Don't think its going any slower. Usually this week the guys that had to coach in the first round could start to interview. I think the zoom thing makes it a bit different and the amount of coaches and GM's that got fired before season end felt higher than usual.