2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

I don't agree with KYDI as far as "puppet" goes. Urban clearly is "the guy" here just like Shanny was in SF, Carroll was in SEA, Rhule is in CAR, etc. but he isn't going to be BOB'ing this from anything I've heard or read.

The guys a program builder and knows it's not just him. He's delegated everywhere he's went. If you think he's going to be controlling the whole ship without guys at every level who have their job and helping him than who the hell are we talking about here? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He won't have total control.

For your sake, I hope so. 

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

How is this any different than Rhule keeping around Hurney who's been in the NFL forever last year to lean on for NFL experience/learning the ropes?

If this is what it is - then it's not a concern. But talks of "puppets" and "total control" don't really paint that sort of dynamic.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

For your sake, I hope so. 

If this is what it is - then it's not a concern. But talks of "puppets" and "total control" don't really paint that sort of dynamic.

I literally haven't read Urban having total control or any GM coming in being a "puppet" anywhere.

But will Urban be "the guy" here? Of course. You don't get a fish like that, just like Rhule in CAR, any other way. He's going to want to have his stamp on the team.

Not to mention, if he wanted a puppet at GM it surely wouldn't be a longtime NFL guy who's been a scout for a decade+ like every candidate linked. Even more so guys like Ireland/Pioli/Baalke who are former GMs with a strong personality.

7 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Alright i think i got my final 5 pairings i want for GM and HC based on all the people i've seen us interview for each. 

#1 - Rick Smith and Arthur Smith 
#2 - Brad Holmes and Nathaniel Hackett
#3 -  Rick Smith and Eric Bienemy
#4 - Terry Fontenot and Nathaniel Hackett
#5 - Terry Fontenot and Joe Brady

Thats all guys i think the GM would choose and the GM's i like in order based on the HC i think they would bring in. 

Brian Daboll would be #1 or 2 on my list but we haven't interviewed him so i don't think i have a chance at getting him so can't put him on list.  Arthur Smith and Rick Smith then are at the top of both my lists of each thing and i think both of them pair well with each other as a choice. 

The #2 selection i think might actually have my favorite group of guys that probably joins the coaching staff with the most upside.    I feel Holmes is a great scout for the draft from the Rams and he has ties to Hackett who we seem to like alot and Hackett imo would bring in McDaniels as OC and has ties to Wade Phillips as well  i think a  Holmes/Hackett/McDaniels/Phillip  grouping would be a hell of a setup for us moving forward and fits the players we have in a great scheme on both sides of the ball. 

Fontenot is a good pro personel guy and i think he brings a good bit to the table but i prefer  Smith and Holmes with their drafting background and expertise over Fontenot and i prefer Hackett over Brady if Fontenot is the choice. 

I wouldn't be upset with any of these 5 combos though and think if we got or nailed any of them we would have done well atleast somewhat and have optimism.

McDaniels isn't leaving NE. Unless you mean Mike McDaniel and not Josh McDaniels. 

8 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Jerod Mayo interviewing for Eagles HC job. Seems like a bit of a leap to me, but it's someone different at least. 

Nah. Its been him and Steve Belichick running that defense since Flores left. He might not have the title, but he has a large role.