2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@ET80 any thoughts?

I'm half expecting this to be the case. If he's there and he's interviewed, I halfway believe Caserio/Easterby are just checking a box to tell Watson "see, we did what you asked us to do..." This also positions Watson as the "unreasonable" one, which is far from the truth.

• Like 1

If Bienemy doesn't get a job this year then I think his best bet is joining a new staff as an OC where he can prove his playcalling chops - maybe trying to land wherever Salah or another defensive coach ends up. Though I'm sure it's a bit of a hit to the ego to be trying to network with coaches you're theoretically competing for the top job for right now. 

I will say, gonna be a lot of eyebrows raised if Bienemy gets passed over and then Kafka gets the Eagles job. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, the league needs to fix that. 

Not sure what they can change. If you push all coaching and FO hirings to after the Superbowl you really handicap them even further i feel with how little time there is between then and the draft season. And for the teams still in there you want your coaches to be able to focus fully on the job they have to do and get paid for.

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Not sure what they can change. If you push all coaching and FO hirings to after the Superbowl you really handicap them even further i feel with how little time there is between then and the draft season. 

Teams are already making that timing work as is. I see no problems with that. 

Just now, Forge said:

Teams are already making that timing work as is. I see no problems with that. 

I am sure it can work but i also think if you only start the process for guys under contract after the Superbowl you start seeing hires two weeks after that at which point things like the Senior Bowl have already happened. And the combine is in two weeks. You could argue that the week of the Pro Bowl could be used for part of this for the few guys on the Superbowl teams that are of interest which speeds it up a bit but at that point what will happen with guys that aren't employed. And teams that aren't hiring have an even bigger head start on the draft then they already have right now.

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I am sure it can work but i also think if you only start the process for guys under contract after the Superbowl you start seeing hires two weeks after that at which point things like the Senior Bowl have already happened. And the combine is in two weeks. You could argue that the week of the Pro Bowl could be used for part of this for the few guys on the Superbowl teams that are of interest which speeds it up a bit but at that point what will happen with guys that aren't employed. And teams that aren't hiring have an even bigger head start on the draft then they already have right now.

If they are concerned about hiring timelines, then they have to start allowing for guys to get hired before their season is over. College does it. Sometimes they stick around and finish it out, other times they don't. But I have to believe that there is a better structure than what we currently have. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

If they are concerned about hiring timelines, then they have to start allowing for guys to get hired before their season is over. College does it. Sometimes they stick around and finish it out, other times they don't. But I have to believe that there is a better structure than what we currently have. 

Honestly that sounds like a terrible plan(for coaches for FO i think it doesn't matter as much). Imagine if Shanahan instead of having to wait till after the superbowl was hired after the first round of the play-offs and then leaving the Falcons without their OC. Honestly i think the current situation sure ain't perfect but with the things at stake at their current job i just don't see a way where you can do it differently. Like i said hiring starting after the Superbowl would make sense but then i also feel they have to push all the offseason stuff back which could be done for sure. If you push everything back a few weeks and start letting interviews for guys under contract happen starting the monday after Championship weekend you have a better situation. 

The Super Bowl timing/having to wait thing seems more like an excuse made up after the fact than a real factor tbh. I think everyone in the league understands that there's a lot of scrutiny around Bienemy in particular so we're getting all sorts of pre-emptive explanations for why he doesn't get hired ahead of time now that it's looking unlikely. 

I'm not really saying that as an argument for or against Bienemy, just that teams have and will wait for their guys (notice nobody is saying the same thing about Daboll right now) and are never going to let a difference of a couple of weeks get in the way of getting a guy that they are hoping to be the guy leading their organization for the next 5-10 years. 

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly that sounds like a terrible plan(for coaches for FO i think it doesn't matter as much). Imagine if Shanahan instead of having to wait till after the superbowl was hired after the first round of the play-offs and then leaving the Falcons without their OC. Honestly i think the current situation sure ain't perfect but with the things at stake at their current job i just don't see a way where you can do it differently. Like i said hiring starting after the Superbowl would make sense but then i also feel they have to push all the offseason stuff back which could be done for sure. If you push everything back a few weeks and start letting interviews for guys under contract happen starting the monday after Championship weekend you have a better situation. 

They are still under contract, so ultimately I think it's the team's decision on whether or not they actually leave...I don't think that is something the OC unilaterally decides. He would just have the job locked up. 

Ultimately, they won't do anything because what we are talking about more or less is just negatively impactful toward people, not teams, so it's not a big enough wart. But I do think its something that has cost people jobs in the past for sure. 

2 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

The Super Bowl timing/having to wait thing seems more like an excuse made up after the fact than a real factor tbh. I think everyone in the league understands that there's a lot of scrutiny around Bienemy in particular so we're getting all sorts of pre-emptive explanations for why he doesn't get hired ahead of time now that it's looking unlikely. 

I'm not really saying that as an argument for or against Bienemy, just that teams have and will wait for their guys (notice nobody is saying the same thing about Daboll right now) and are never going to let a difference of a couple of weeks get in the way of getting a guy that they are hoping to be the guy leading their organization for the next 5-10 years. 

Oh, EB has his own set of issues. The timing thing is about more than EB for sure. I believe that guys going for head coaching gigs in general are negatively impacted by their teams going deeper in the playoffs, is all. I feel for them as individuals because sometimes you hit that peak and then it comes crashing down soon after and you never quite get back up there. 

Obviously, teams will wait when they need to (the niners did with Shanny, for example), so it's not like it's something that completely rules someone out, which is why I don't think it's a big enough problem for the NFL to ever change the rules (along with it only impacting coaches, not teams). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

They are still under contract, so ultimately I think it's the team's decision on whether or not they actually leave...I don't think that is something the OC unilaterally decides. He would just have the job locked up. 

Ultimately, they won't do anything because what we are talking about more or less is just negatively impactful toward people, not teams, so it's not a big enough wart. But I do think its something that has cost people jobs in the past for sure. 

Sure but do you want a guy that is already with his head in a different place preparing for one of the biggest games in franchise history. There is such a fine line to walk for this between the present where teams are still fighting for the Superbowl where the other team is already gone ahead to next year. Which like i said is more on the coaching front then the GM one.

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Sure but do you want a guy that is already with his head in a different place preparing for one of the biggest games in franchise history. There is such a fine line to walk for this between the present where teams are still fighting for the Superbowl where the other team is already gone ahead to next year. Which like i said is more on the coaching front then the GM one.

Look at what Sark just did to OSU even though he was already hired at UT. Like anything, it can work and it can't. There are going to be different results...some of them will have nothing to do with anything (though the narrative will suggest otherwise). It's all situational with no locked in answer. Every option is on the table. One example wouldn't prove its right, one doesn't prove it's wrong. Its just about how people feel.

Some HC / GMs likely would go apoplectic if their OC got hired while they were still playing. Others may say, "hey, can you finish your job here? Cool, then I don't care". Some OCs could probably handle it, others can't. Its a full on mixed bag. I don't think that there's anything that is going to support one stance or the other