2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

Just now, Forge said:

Nah, they'll pass now and work with Stafford. 

Stafford is getting old, and his wife didn't sound too thrilled about remaining in Michigan, due to their Governor. So once he gets an opportunity to get out of there, he will. I predict Dak lands in indy, but if he doesn't, then Stafford may be intriguing there. Rivers is done. 

I think next year if Notre Dame fails again to win a national title NBC will give teams undergoing a coaching change for 2022 incentive to hire Brian Kelly - by promising the team that hires him will host the first SNF game of 2022.

This would open the door for Jim Tressel's redemption at ND.

3 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I think next year if Notre Dame fails again to win a national title NBC will give teams undergoing a coaching change for 2022 incentive to hire Brian Kelly - by promising the team that hires him will host the first SNF game of 2022.

Wait-say-what-GIF - VeryFilmi

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, brushmyhair said:

Stafford is getting old, and his wife didn't sound too thrilled about remaining in Michigan, due to their Governor. So once he gets an opportunity to get out of there, he will. I predict Dak lands in indy, but if he doesn't, then Stafford may be intriguing there. Rivers is done. 

I just don't think you'll do both. If you keep Stafford, I don't think you're drafting a guy. If you trade Stafford, then I do think you'll draft a guy. 

53 minutes ago, pf9 said:

fear+gif

11 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I assumed it was because of COVID protocol but I found it surprising we were a week and a half past the end of the regular season and no new HC had been hired. 

Now we we have 2 officially done and likely a 3rd by the end of the day. Will be interesting if teams get antsy after this weekends if certain candidates are still coaching in the playoffs.

I hope the Chargers stick to their guns and wait for Daboll if he’s their guy.

Urban Meyer: Jacksonville Jaguars
Robert Saleh: NY Jets
Arthur Smith: Atlanta Falcons

Bob Quinn: Cowboys DC
Gus Bradley: LA Raiders DC

Still open HC positions:

Detroit
Houston
Philadelphia Eagles
LA Chargers

Potential candidates:

Brian Daboll
Leslie Frazier 
Todd Bowles
Marvin Lewis
Eric Bieniemy
Joe Brady
Jim Caldwell
Doug Pederson

Potential college HC options:

Matt Campbell
Ryan Day

The Jaguars are the big winners so far, Urban Meyer is a great get and a super motivation coach and commands respect and gets it.  Only issue is his health and hopefully those issues are behind him.  Not a huge fan of a lot of the potential guys left, Bieniemy is fine but honestly he is not the main reason for that offense being successful, same with Brian Daboll for that matter.  Joe Brady to me has more cred for what he did with a much less talented Panthers offense and basically not McCaffrey all season.  Jim Caldwell I hope is hired again, that would be great.  And yeah Doug Pederson is absolutely an option for like say the Chargers or Houston, if not he will just be a OC next year anyway.  Would be surprised if Ryan Day is not a NFL HC at some point just a matter of if he wants to.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Urban Meyer: Jacksonville Jaguars
Robert Saleh: NY Jets
Arthur Smith: Atlanta Falcons

Bob Quinn: Cowboys DC
Gus Bradley: LA Raiders DC

Still open HC positions:

Detroit
Houston
Philadelphia Eagles
LA Chargers

Potential candidates:

Brian Daboll
Leslie Frazier 
Todd Bowles
Marvin Lewis
Eric Bieniemy
Joe Brady
Jim Caldwell
Doug Pederson

Potential college HC options:

Matt Campbell
Ryan Day

The Jaguars are the big winners so far, Urban Meyer is a great get and a super motivation coach and commands respect and gets it.  Only issue is his health and hopefully those issues are behind him.  Not a huge fan of a lot of the potential guys left, Bieniemy is fine but honestly he is not the main reason for that offense being successful, same with Brian Daboll for that matter.  Joe Brady to me has more cred for what he did with a much less talented Panthers offense and basically not McCaffrey all season.  Jim Caldwell I hope is hired again, that would be great.  And yeah Doug Pederson is absolutely an option for like say the Chargers or Houston, if not he will just be a OC next year anyway.  Would be surprised if Ryan Day is not a NFL HC at some point just a matter of if he wants to.  

I can understand the hesitancy about Bienemy but not so sure with regards to Daboll. He managed to mold a raw prospect like Allen into a potential MVP candidate. He deserves credit for adapting his scheme to help Allen as well as the talent around him. They went from a more conservative ground and pound team to being a prolific passing team. 

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I can understand the hesitancy about Bienemy but not so sure with regards to Daboll. He managed to mold a raw prospect like Allen into a potential MVP candidate. He deserves credit for adapting his scheme to help Allen as well as the talent around him. They went from a more conservative ground and pound team to being a prolific passing team. 

I would say Allen's development had more to do with getting Stefon Diggs and drafting Gabriel Davis than Daboll.  Sure he helped but the better receivers were the reason.  They still got Brown and Beasley who are good but those were the #1 and #2 guys before, and Duke Williams was a big receiver in that playoff game they lost last year.  He is a fine coordinator just not sure he is HC material.  

The scheme is basically go four wide most of the game, run them in a variety of routes along with the pass catching TE and backs coming out of the backfield.  If they are open get them the ball if not have Allen scramble and make plays with his legs.  And do that all game long, it is pretty damn hard to stop especially with burners like Gabriel Davis, Diggs and Brown all on the field and a great slot guy in Beasley.  

Bet most of those ideas came from when he was at Bama and had Calvin Ridley, Jerry Jeudy, Ruggs, Cam Sims, Robert Foster and DeVonta Smith all on the same team with Hurts and Tua.  Most of that season Hurts was the QB though and he had almost 1000 yards rushing in a spread system.  Shocking thing is how unproductive Sims and Foster where along with Jeudy and Ruggs.  But yeah Hurts was pretty bad passing the football back then.  Only receiver to do much was Ridley but it did provide Daboll a look at spreading out the defense and getting easy QB runs from that.  Josh Allen can do that and he has arguably the strongest arm in the NFL in terms of throwing on the move so win win.  

14 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I want the Bills to win the Super Bowl. But I also want this hire to be official. How do I have both?

Bills win today, release a joint statement tomorrow with Daboll saying he's accepted the job but won't be leaving until the season is over. Bills and Daboll crush future division rival, KC, next week and then win the SB after that.

• Like 1