2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

22 hours ago, Forge said:

It feels like such a weird thing for him to pass on Indy, who had Luck at the time, to take on the Philly job with their broken QB and cap situation. Would seem like a McDaniels thing to do...knows Howie is going to be on the outs...bides his time...pounces when Howie gets canned 😂

Simply was a miscalculation I would wager. Now he's at the point where the clock on his viability as a HC candidate is ticking, Pats offense has declined every year since 2017 and hit bottom 10 this year. He's realized another stinker and he will be a few years removed from getting any HC consideration again.

4 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Simply was a miscalculation I would wager. Now he's at the point where the clock on his viability as a HC candidate is ticking, Pats offense has declined every year since 2017 and hit bottom 10 this year. He's realized another stinker and he will be a few years removed from getting any HC consideration again.

It's more fun to portray him as a Machiavellian super villain though

2 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Oh he definitely still is. Our building will be a full on Game of Thrones situation between McDaniels camp and Howie camp by midseason.

Hey. That's us, we've already got a claim on Littlefinger.

11 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This makes me wonder... has there ever been a year where a HC didn't get fired?

I can't really think of too many obvious candidates to get fired next year.  On the NFC side, the Cardinals, Bears, and Cowboys are the only teams who I think could fire their coach.  And even then, it's probably a stretch.  I think Kingsbury would get another year unless the Cardinals were terrible and Bears have made the playoffs in 2 of Nagy's 3 seasons there.  Cowboys should win the NFC East next year with a healthy Dak (assuming the Giants or WFT don't find a QBOTF this offseason), which would keep McCarthy safe.  Every other NFC team has either recently committed to a new-ish HC or has an established one that wouldn't get fired unless they willingly stepped down.  I guess there is a chance Zimmer is fired if the Vikings miss the playoffs again.

On the AFC side, there's the Bengals, Broncos, and Raiders.  Gruden is only a possibility because they might miss the playoffs again, but again, I wouldn't bank on him being fired mid-way through a 10-year contract.  I could see Zac Taylor getting a 4th year even if the Bengals do underwhelming, as long as the offense shows a lot of promise with Burrow.  Like the NFC, the rest of the teams recently committed to someone or have an established one in place.

It's the NFL/sports so I'm sure some HCs will get fired.  But I think more than any other season there aren't a lot of obvious candidates.  It wouldn't surprise me if there were only 2-3 openings next year and I can't remember the last time that has happened.

Edited by iknowcool

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I can't really think of too many obvious candidates to get fired next year.  On the NFC side, the Cardinals, Bears, and Cowboys are the only teams who I think could fire their coach.  And even then, it's probably a stretch.  I think Kingsbury would get another year unless the Cardinals were terrible and Bears have made the playoffs in 2 of Nagy's 3 seasons there.  Cowboys should win the NFC East next year with a healthy Dak (assuming the Giants or WFT don't find a QBOTF this offseason), which would keep McCarthy safe.  Every other NFC team has either recently committed to a new-ish HC or has an established one that wouldn't get fired unless they willingly stepped down.  I guess there is a chance Zimmer is fired if the Vikings miss the playoffs again.

On the AFC side, there's the Bengals, Broncos, and Raiders.  Gruden is only a possibility because they might miss the playoffs again, but again, I wouldn't bank on him being fired mid-way through a 10-year contract.  I could see Zac Taylor getting a 4th year even if the Bengals do underwhelming, as long as the offense shows a lot of promise with Burrow.  Like the NFC, the rest of the teams recently committed to someone or have an established one in place.

It's the NFL/sports so I'm sure some HCs will get fired.  But I think more than any other season there aren't a lot of obvious candidates.  It wouldn't surprise me if there were only 2-3 openings next year and I can't remember the last time that has happened.

Considering his contract and how cash broke Davis is, Gruden is probably the safest coach in the league. 

9 hours ago, iknowcool said:

There will be one or two shockers but I’d tentatively say the hot seat for next season is (in descending order of how hot their butt is):

Zac Taylor

Vic Fangio

Mike McCarthy

Matt Nagy

Mike Zimmer

Joe Judge

Brian Flores

Kliff Kingsbury

So that’s 1/4 of the league that I’d tentatively put at risk. The last 3 of those I would suggest will only be fired if there’s a 2-14 type implosion. The top 5 probably need to demonstrate improvement (either playoffs, or at least improve Burrow in Taylor’s case) to avoid the chop.

Also with the first year guys there’s always a chance that one of them is just completely out of their depth and ends up going 1-15 and losing the locker room. Maybe Dan Campbell could be that guy? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

There will be one or two shockers but I’d tentatively say the hot seat for next season is (in descending order of how hot their butt is):

Zac Taylor

Vic Fangio

Mike McCarthy

Matt Nagy

Mike Zimmer

Joe Judge

Brian Flores

Kliff Kingsbury

So that’s 1/4 of the league that I’d tentatively put at risk. The last 3 of those I would suggest will only be fired if there’s a 2-14 type implosion. The top 5 probably need to demonstrate improvement (either playoffs, or at least improve Burrow in Taylor’s case) to avoid the chop.

Also with the first year guys there’s always a chance that one of them is just completely out of their depth and ends up going 1-15 and losing the locker room. Maybe Dan Campbell could be that guy? 

Get Flores and Judge off this list. 

13 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

I remember after he turned down the Colts people saying that McDaniels would never get another opportunity to be a HC. I don’t know if they actually believed it, or they were just being bitter

Both? I mean honestly Eagles is the only one I saw having legit interest in him. He went from being one of the hot names to barely on the radar. So I definitely believe he sees this as one of the last chances to turn things around.

11 hours ago, iknowcool said:

its an interesting question for sure- here's a chart I found for 2005-2016 with (3) being the fewest firings in that range. And most don't last, with owners/fans getting impatient quickly

1*C0wo6yJeH2ZksXSYP-YsVg.png

• Like 1