Jump to content
X_Factor_40

The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I'd rather be paying Verlander to play for the Astros than Zimmermann to pitch for Detroit.

Those contracts really don't matter to us as fans though. Our farm is still so bad that we're nowhere close to competing, so it's not like we'd be using that money elsewhere anyway. 100 losses is 100 losses.

I just think it's funny that we are still paying Fielder after all these years, that was an awful contract. Also letting Scherzer walk then throwing 25 mil a year at Zimmerman the next year was terrible.

Cabrera's contract will definitely effect the team unless they don't plan on competing seriously until around 2025 which is possible I guess.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Miggy will probably retire before then, but I also think it'll be at least 2025 before we're competitive again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I think Miggy will probably retire before then, but I also think it'll be at least 2025 before we're competitive again.

I can't see it taking that long.  We are going to collect some top talent over the next couple of years in the drafts.  We need some positional players that have value but fully expect us to take one early this year.  I think we have some solid young pieces and should be trading off Castellanos and anything else that has any value this year.  Once we have some signs that guys are developing and Mize/Manning/Perez make it, we will pay to get people around them.  If those guys all flop we will be in trouble but I am assuming between them and faedo we will have a decent rotation.  I do wish we would have flipped Fulmer two years ago.  Could have got a huge haul for him given his years of control.  Now with the TJS and showing he isn't actually that great, we likely won't get much for him next summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I can't see it taking that long.  We are going to collect some top talent over the next couple of years in the drafts.  We need some positional players that have value but fully expect us to take one early this year.  I think we have some solid young pieces and should be trading off Castellanos and anything else that has any value this year.  Once we have some signs that guys are developing and Mize/Manning/Perez make it, we will pay to get people around them.  If those guys all flop we will be in trouble but I am assuming between them and faedo we will have a decent rotation.  I do wish we would have flipped Fulmer two years ago.  Could have got a huge haul for him given his years of control.  Now with the TJS and showing he isn't actually that great, we likely won't get much for him next summer.

I remember Avila saying 2021 was the year we start signing guys and truly start "competing". So hopefully with some solid trades and good drafting they can actually start focusing on winning in two years. Like  you said, if those pitchers flop though, they are in big trouble. We are gonna need them to win a lot of 2-1, 3-2 type games with the offense they likely put out there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, detroitlions72003 said:

I remember Avila saying 2021 was the year we start signing guys and truly start "competing". So hopefully with some solid trades and good drafting they can actually start focusing on winning in two years. Like  you said, if those pitchers flop though, they are in big trouble. We are gonna need them to win a lot of 2-1, 3-2 type games with the offense they likely put out there

Christian Stewart looks like he could be a good one.  And a couple of the kids they drafted last year have bright futures (Clemens and Meadows) and Castro/Paredes look like they have potential to provide a decent bat at SS eventually.  We don't have any star position players, but I think we have a few solid position players.  I am hoping either Witt falls to us this year or we grab a power college bat that should be ready in a year or two.  Then we can sign a piece or two to top it off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has to be the worst time to be a fan of Detroit sports that I can personally remember.

In the 90's we had Yzerman and the Russian 5. Also one of the most exciting players in NFL history to watch in Barry Sanders. Grant Hill was reason enough to tune into the Pistons as well.

The 2000's had Big Ben Wallace and the gritty, fun to watch Pistons. Historically stacked and dominant Red Wings teams. The Tigers going from laughing stocks to title contenders with the signings of Pudge and Magglio and the blockbuster trade for Miggy. The drafting of arguably the most dominant WR of all time in Calvin Johnson.

Now we have

Blake Griffin and the mediocre Pistons

Stafford and the chronically disappointing Lions

Dylan Larkin and the rebuilding Red wings

And the last hold out from the golden age in old man Miggy and the awful Tigers who are on there way to being laughing stocks once again

 

I'll always be a lifelong diehard fan of Detroit sports and hold out hope that things will get better, but man we are in a rough patch right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, davisblack said:

This has to be the worst time to be a fan of Detroit sports that I can personally remember.

In the 90's we had Yzerman and the Russian 5. Also one of the most exciting players in NFL history to watch in Barry Sanders. Grant Hill was reason enough to tune into the Pistons as well.

The 2000's had Big Ben Wallace and the gritty, fun to watch Pistons. Historically stacked and dominant Red Wings teams. The Tigers going from laughing stocks to title contenders with the signings of Pudge and Magglio and the blockbuster trade for Miggy. The drafting of arguably the most dominant WR of all time in Calvin Johnson.

Now we have

Blake Griffin and the mediocre Pistons

Stafford and the chronically disappointing Lions

Dylan Larkin and the rebuilding Red wings

And the last hold out from the golden age in old man Miggy and the awful Tigers who are on there way to being laughing stocks once again

 

I'll always be a lifelong diehard fan of Detroit sports and hold out hope that things will get better, but man we are in a rough patch right now.

I am at least excited for the Tigers rebuild.  I am glad they took rebuilding seriously finally and stopped trying to give cpr to the team while on life support like the wings and pistons have done the last few years.  Need to break it down and build it back up.  Miggy would be gone if his contract was tradable, and if he bounces back this year I wouldn't doubt we move him and eat a large chunk of the contract. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Gotta do it boys. Everyone knows it. Seen it. Heard about it. There hasn't been a rivalry in professional sports that reached the passion these two teams had.

Edited by SimbaWho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5:20 is my favorite thing in the history of sport. I love Darren McCarty forever. The fact that he even dragged the turtle in front of the Wings bench to paint the ice red was beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tigers are going to blow this year. If Cabrera continues to regress, Castellanos goes down for an extended period of time, and/or we lose another SP I would not be surprised to see early 00s Tigers all over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TimeForChange said:

The Tigers are going to blow this year. If Cabrera continues to regress, Castellanos goes down for an extended period of time, and/or we lose another SP I would not be surprised to see early 00s Tigers all over again.

Miggy has regressed, but more than anything he hasn't stayed healthy.  If he can stay healthy he will put up decent numbers.  Maybe not triple crown type numbers but still high.200/low.300 average with 25 HRs. 

As far as pitching goes, I don't think it can get much worse.  We don't have a pitcher that would be better than a 4th starter on other teams.  Not one of these guys would start for any of the top 10 teams in the league probably. 

We definitely are going to suck, but I am interested in seeing some of the young guys like Stewart get a chance and seeing how the guys in the minors develop.  Would be nice to get Manning, Mize, and maybe Burroughs and Perez some September starts and maybe next year have a solid enough rotation to sign some bats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Miggy has regressed, but more than anything he hasn't stayed healthy.  If he can stay healthy he will put up decent numbers.  Maybe not triple crown type numbers but still high.200/low.300 average with 25 HRs. 

As far as pitching goes, I don't think it can get much worse.  We don't have a pitcher that would be better than a 4th starter on other teams.  Not one of these guys would start for any of the top 10 teams in the league probably. 

We definitely are going to suck, but I am interested in seeing some of the young guys like Stewart get a chance and seeing how the guys in the minors develop.  Would be nice to get Manning, Mize, and maybe Burroughs and Perez some September starts and maybe next year have a solid enough rotation to sign some bats.

Funny part about Stewart is he is already 25 years old and turning 26 at the end of this year. Hes not even like a young prospect lol. I am looking forward to Daz Cameron and the pitchers because after them there really isn't much to look forward to. Sad really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, detroitlions72003 said:

Funny part about Stewart is he is already 25 years old and turning 26 at the end of this year. Hes not even like a young prospect lol. I am looking forward to Daz Cameron and the pitchers because after them there really isn't much to look forward to. Sad really.

Not much as far as 2020 goes but Meadows and Clemens have been given high praise.  Paredes could be decent.  We don't have a superstar bat in the minors but we have some potential.  And I hope they draft a position player in the first couple rounds this year to help add to that.  I think 2021 could be a decent year, especially if we can get some position player prospects for Castellanos and our pitchers develop as expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Castellanos has a good first half so we can get a decent haul for him at the deadline (I wouldn't hate if they extended him though). It would be nice if guys like Matt Moore and Tyson Ross aren't terrible and we could get a team to throw one of their top 15-20 prospects at us for them at the deadline.

I don't think our farm system is as bad as most people think, but we need to keep building it up over the next couple years and hope we can compete with home grown talent instead of giving out huge contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Not much as far as 2020 goes but Meadows and Clemens have been given high praise.  Paredes could be decent.  We don't have a superstar bat in the minors but we have some potential.  And I hope they draft a position player in the first couple rounds this year to help add to that.  I think 2021 could be a decent year, especially if we can get some position player prospects for Castellanos and our pitchers develop as expected.

2021 could be fun and the beginning of something. I just want them to be exciting with young guys even if they are not winning very much. Kinda like the Redwings. They are the 3rd worst team in the NHL by terms of points but they sure don't play like it and there is still a lot of enthusiasm surrounding them. If they can hit a top 3 pick next year this team could be built to win long term. Im with you on the position player for the Tigers. A top 5 pick and it needs to be so someone that is not a pitcher. Sometimes it feels like all they scout is pitchers in the 1st round though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×