The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

6 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Avila reportedly turned down a deal involving Fulmer + Wilson going to Houston for Alex Bregman.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/tigers-turned-down-deals-for-javier-baez-and-alex-bregman-at-2017-trade-deadline-to-keep-michael-fulmer-report-says/

So while there may not have been a better return to get on guys like JV, there have certainly been some incredible missed opportunities.

Now that hurts.  I get why they didn't trade Fulmer at the time, but it seems most would have seen his bust potential at that time. 

On 2019-08-15 at 5:43 PM, nagahide13 said:

Avila reportedly turned down a deal involving Fulmer + Wilson going to Houston for Alex Bregman.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/tigers-turned-down-deals-for-javier-baez-and-alex-bregman-at-2017-trade-deadline-to-keep-michael-fulmer-report-says/

So while there may not have been a better return to get on guys like JV, there have certainly been some incredible missed opportunities.

Wow. 

On 8/14/2019 at 10:09 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I am not sure I buy the shed salary/sell narrative.  They are doing the right thing by shedding salary in years they struggle.  They also are doing a good job of building a farm system.  They have a top 30 prospect in both the rotation and in the field, they will have the top pick next year which likely will add another top 30 bat to go with three other top 100 pitchers.  Once these guys get up to the bigs, the team will spend on free agents, which is when they should.  No point spending now when they are trying to rid themselves of bad contracts and build up some young guys.  The Illitch family saw how profitable and popular the Tigers are when they are good.  They want that again.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:39 PM, diehardlionfan said:

Well, I hope not all of that is true. If the family sells the team I hope another owner with deep pockets that wants to win steps up.

Yeah I mean that's the dream. An owner like Cuban or something along those lines comes in, steps up buys the Tigers and pulls the strings to turn things around.

I have no faith in Avila. His signings are crap, trades are pretty crappy, and he's not drafted/developed anyone really in-spite of whatever Sllim is saying. Guys come to the Tigers and they don't exactly become better hitters/players.

I mean If we sit and think, and keep the team out of the way. This dude traded away the best pitcher (arguably) of some of our life times ( Justin Verlander ), paid half his salary too, and essentially is getting crap for him...(Holding hope for Rodgers but hey... )

That's not even mentioning the terrible contracts, The Zimmerman signing and letting others go. Justin Upton, etc. There is a lot reason to question Al Avila. An I'm not even a big baseball dude. Like I look at other teams when they trade guys (White Sox/Tampa bay) and they get players/return for there really good starting pitching when they've traded them in the past. Tigers aren't doing too well. The best guys they've gotten in trades are Dawel Lugo and Candelario. Both of which have the ceiling of being average everyday players imo. Nothing great. Cats still out of the bag on the other guys we got this year. 

I just don't see them pulling out of this rebuild nicely unless they literally draft someone with real quality hitting. Who that is IDK but they need a Trout/Harper type player prospect to rise up. 

Edited by SimbaWho

8 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Yeah I mean that's the dream. An owner like Cuban or something along those lines comes in, steps up buys the Tigers and pulls the strings to turn things around.

I have no faith in Avila. His signings are crap, trades are pretty crappy, and he's not drafted/developed anyone really in-spite of whatever Sllim is saying. Guys come to the Tigers and they don't exactly become better hitters/players.

I mean If we sit and think, and keep the team out of the way. This dude traded away the best pitcher (arguably) of some of our life times ( Justin Verlander ), paid half his salary too, and essentially is getting crap for him...(Holding hope for Rodgers but hey... )

That's not even mentioning the terrible contracts, The Zimmerman signing and letting others go. Justin Upton, etc. There is a lot reason to question Al Avila. An I'm not even a big baseball dude. Like I look at other teams when they trade guys (White Sox/Tampa bay) and they get players/return for there really good starting pitching when they've traded them in the past. Tigers aren't doing too well. The best guys they've gotten in trades are Dawel Lugo and Candelario. Both of which have the ceiling of being average everyday players imo. Nothing great. Cats still out of the bag on the other guys we got this year. 

I just don't see them pulling out of this rebuild nicely unless they literally draft someone with real quality hitting. Who that is IDK but they need a Trout/Harper type player prospect to rise up. 

I can’t disagree. Looking at baseball there are a large number of really good young position players but none of them appear to be with the Tigers. Given the number of good players Avila has traded that’s disappointing.

There are some promising pitchers but I’m not going to hold my breath. 

Edited by diehardlionfan

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-08-18 at 8:31 PM, nagahide13 said:

One really nice thing about being a Detroit fan is that I'm legitimately happy to see our players perform well for contenders. JV, Scherzer, JD, and now Nick is crushing it in Chicago.

JV with another no hitter against the Jays. I was at the game last time he no hit them. He’s building one heck of a record.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

My wife and I welcomed a new Lions fan into the world last week. I've been super stoked over the last few months to watch games with my son. He was in tears last Sunday and I said to him "you're a Lions fan, you're going to get used to crying on Sundays".

Congratulations 

7 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

My wife and I welcomed a new Lions fan into the world last week. I've been super stoked over the last few months to watch games with my son. He was in tears last Sunday and I said to him "you're a Lions fan, you're going to get used to crying on Sundays".

Congratulations to you both. 

Appreciate each moment. They grow and change so fast. 

Spend all the time you can together. Build great memories!

P.S. In hindsight the Lions were probably my best reason to go to church for the whole day each Sunday! On the upside, H_ _ _ _ doesn’t scare me. I’ve lived it almost every Sunday for decades.🤠

• Like 1