The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

29 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He knew the scheme when he signed his extension.  If he wasn't happy with the fit, why sign the extension?  

No idea. In some ways it feels like he's trying to explain away his down year in the hopes for a new contract elsewhere. He's already older and now coming off of a bad year. Teams are going to question whether he's the same guy as he was in 2018 or if he's now the Snacks of 2019. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He knew the scheme when he signed his extension.  If he wasn't happy with the fit, why sign the extension?  

Right? Sure, wanting more money is absolutely a factor, but he can't accept the money, have a down year and blame the organization. At some point, these guys need to take responsibility for their actions. He showed up last year out of shape, his play suffered and he wasn't worth his 2020 cap hit.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Right? Sure, wanting more money is absolutely a factor, but he can't accept the money, have a down year and blame the organization. At some point, these guys need to take responsibility for their actions. He showed up last year out of shape, his play suffered and he wasn't worth his 2020 cap hit.

Agreed.  I think most know I’m not on the Matty P bandwagon, and I hate the way it seems now that half the guys love him and half hate the environment, but this just feels like a salty player who has been cut and can’t find a gig now for close to what he got last year. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Agreed.  I think most know I’m not on the Matty P bandwagon, and I hate the way it seems now that half the guys love him and half hate the environment, but this just feels like a salty player who has been cut and can’t find a gig now for close to what he got last year. 

I was thinking the same.  I don't like MP as well, but I do want to give him time to see if the fail I thought would happen, will happen.  With that being said, this seems like a pile on move and Slay made him credible.  When I was reading this, it sounded like he was disinterested during camp when it was tough. Maybe too tough. I will say this though, if I was a player who had no ties to Detroit, I'd avoid BQ's phone call as well.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I was thinking the same.  I don't like MP as well, but I do want to give him time to see if the fail I thought would happen, will happen.  With that being said, this seems like a pile on move and Slay made him credible.  When I was reading this, it sounded like he was disinterested during camp when it was tough. Maybe too tough. I will say this though, if I was a player who had no ties to Detroit, I'd avoid BQ's phone call as well.

That would depend on who you are as a player and what kind of environment that you want to be in. The guys that have thrived in NE seem to be guys that want to stay in a similar environment (Shelton and Collins to DET; KVN to MIA). I don't count Harmon in there since he was traded but he seems to enjoy the environment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

That would depend on who you are as a player and what kind of environment that you want to be in. The guys that have thrived in NE seem to be guys that want to stay in a similar environment (Shelton and Collins to DET; KVN to MIA). I don't count Harmon in there since he was traded but he seems to enjoy the environment. 

Apparently I'm a sucky one! nobody has called me, including Quinn.

Edited by LionArkie

17 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

It was scheme fit. Had nothing to do with not wanting to be in the city, coaches, etc. He wanted to expressly play 0 - 1 T and they would ask him to play 3T at times in their multiple scheme. 

Yes, thank you. I read the article.

It doesn’t change the fact he didn’t want to be in Detroit.

The reason doesn’t matter it’s still the same result.

"To be completely honest with you, I didn’t want to go to Detroit because of some things that I heard from some guys in the past and some guys who were there," Harrison said. "So when I got the call that that’s where I was traded, I didn’t answer the phone for a couple hours. (Lions general manager) Bob Quinn was calling me and I didn’t pick up the phone because I was trying to figure out a way to get out of it."

Players talk. It’s a fairly close community. The Lions need as many players as possible wanting to play here

Edited by diehardlionfan

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-seven-rounds-18-trades-255-picks-and-full-breakdowns-for-all-32-teams/

rj white's 7 rd mock from cbs sports.. pretty good read if you have time.

1 3 Traded to Miami  
1 5 CB Jeff Okudah, Ohio State from MIA*
1 18 Traded to New England from PIT/MIA*
1 23 S Xavier McKinney, Alabama from NE*
2 35 DT Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma  
3 67 RB Cam Akers, Florida State  
3 70 G Jonah Jackson, Ohio State from MIA*
3 85 S Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota from PHI
3 87 EDGE Khalid Kareem, Notre Dame from NE*
4 109 WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan  
5 149 QB Anthony Gordon, Washington State  
5 166 P Braden Mann, Texas A&M from PHI
6 182 LB Kamal Martin, Minnesota  
7 235 CB Stanford Samuels, Florida State from PHI/NE

Let's have some fun. The Lions move back two spots as the Dolphins jump up for a quarterback, a deal that nets Detroit No. 18 and 70. They then turn around and trade No. 18 to another team moving up for a quarterback, landing them No. 23 and 87. That gives the team three extra top 90 picks to help replenish a depleted roster, particularly on the defensive side, and they start with the best corner in this class at No. 5 in Okudah. They stay in the secondary at No. 23 with the best true safety in the class in McKinney, and the pair gives them new cornerstones in the secondary after dealing Darius Slay and Quandre Diggs.

The Lions kick off Day 2 by addressing one of their biggest needs, adding to the interior of the defensive line with Gallimore, someone with untapped potential that could blossom under Matt Patricia's tutelage. While running back isn't a top need for the Lions, they'd be foolish to pass on a talent like Akers if he slides out of the second round due to other teams filling different needs. They then come right back and add some help to the interior of the offensive line in Jackson, who should be an asset in protecting Matthew Stafford. They go back to the well at safety for a player with NFL bloodlines in Winfield, then use their fourth pick of the round to add to the edge rush with Kareem as a rotational option.

With the bulk of their work done on the first two days, the Lions use Day 3 to add competition around the roster, starting with a sleeper at receiver in Peoples-Jones, who should be a better pro than college player. Gordon is an intriguing quarterback prospect who held his own at the Senior Bowl, while Mann fills the void left by Sam Martin's departure. Martin and Samuels provide more needed depth on the defensive side.

31 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-seven-rounds-18-trades-255-picks-and-full-breakdowns-for-all-32-teams/

rj white's 7 rd mock from cbs sports.. pretty good read if you have time.

1 3 Traded to Miami  
1 5 CB Jeff Okudah, Ohio State from MIA*
1 18 Traded to New England from PIT/MIA*
1 23 S Xavier McKinney, Alabama from NE*
2 35 DT Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma  
3 67 RB Cam Akers, Florida State  
3 70 G Jonah Jackson, Ohio State from MIA*
3 85 S Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota from PHI
3 87 EDGE Khalid Kareem, Notre Dame from NE*
4 109 WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan  
5 149 QB Anthony Gordon, Washington State  
5 166 P Braden Mann, Texas A&M from PHI
6 182 LB Kamal Martin, Minnesota  
7 235 CB Stanford Samuels, Florida State from PHI/NE

Let's have some fun. The Lions move back two spots as the Dolphins jump up for a quarterback, a deal that nets Detroit No. 18 and 70. They then turn around and trade No. 18 to another team moving up for a quarterback, landing them No. 23 and 87. That gives the team three extra top 90 picks to help replenish a depleted roster, particularly on the defensive side, and they start with the best corner in this class at No. 5 in Okudah. They stay in the secondary at No. 23 with the best true safety in the class in McKinney, and the pair gives them new cornerstones in the secondary after dealing Darius Slay and Quandre Diggs.

The Lions kick off Day 2 by addressing one of their biggest needs, adding to the interior of the defensive line with Gallimore, someone with untapped potential that could blossom under Matt Patricia's tutelage. While running back isn't a top need for the Lions, they'd be foolish to pass on a talent like Akers if he slides out of the second round due to other teams filling different needs. They then come right back and add some help to the interior of the offensive line in Jackson, who should be an asset in protecting Matthew Stafford. They go back to the well at safety for a player with NFL bloodlines in Winfield, then use their fourth pick of the round to add to the edge rush with Kareem as a rotational option.

With the bulk of their work done on the first two days, the Lions use Day 3 to add competition around the roster, starting with a sleeper at receiver in Peoples-Jones, who should be a better pro than college player. Gordon is an intriguing quarterback prospect who held his own at the Senior Bowl, while Mann fills the void left by Sam Martin's departure. Martin and Samuels provide more needed depth on the defensive side.

Love the moves, not sure about the picks.

43 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Love the moves, not sure about the picks.

That was my thoughts as well but honestly I wouldn't be too mad if this is how it went down.  I'd rather see Epenesa or an OT instead of McKinney, especially with us getting Winfield later.  But still I would be happy if we could get extra picks and nab Okudah, Gallimore, and the rest of the haul.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That was my thoughts as well but honestly I wouldn't be too mad if this is how it went down.  I'd rather see Epenesa or an OT instead of McKinney, especially with us getting Winfield later.  But still I would be happy if we could get extra picks and nab Okudah, Gallimore, and the rest of the haul.  

My reaction exactly.