The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

14 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That was my thoughts as well but honestly I wouldn't be too mad if this is how it went down.  I'd rather see Epenesa or an OT instead of McKinney, especially with us getting Winfield later.  But still I would be happy if we could get extra picks and nab Okudah, Gallimore, and the rest of the haul.  

National Media: They need to make some moves in that secondary, they've traded away Darius Slay and Quandre Diggs

Lions: We just traded for Duron Harmon

National Media: But his last name isn't Diggs. You need a safety.

Lions: Well, he actually used to play safety for the Patr...

National Media: YOU NEED A SAFETY!

• Like 1

Good. This draft could define this franchise for the next 10 years: if Quinn is able to maximize the value received for the #3 pick, he could walk away with the resources needed to propel this roster forward. It'll be his opportunity to show how good (or bad) he is at the draft.

I hope he has a bunch of offers on the table.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Good. This draft could define this franchise for the next 10 years: if Quinn is able to maximize the value received for the #3 pick, he could walk away with the resources needed to propel this roster forward. It'll be his opportunity to show how good (or bad) he is at the draft.

I hope he has a bunch of offers on the table.

He has a great opportunity in front of him. That needs to be prefaced by him finding a dance partner in a trade down. If he can move down and select wisely Patricia will have no excuses.

I think this is a deep draft at certain positions and as you suggested he has an opportunity to really impact the player core. Perhaps not 10 years but certainly the next 5 years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lions fan friends,

I have never been much of a baseball fan but always deferred my interest to the Tigers. The proximity of Comerica Park to Ford Field, the iconic D, etc. During the quarantine, I have been playing this tap baseball game and have become better versed in the game. I'd like to get a better handle on the Tigers. Who are the star players? How does the roster compare to other MLB teams? Who are the key rivals? Etc. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Lions fan friends,

I have never been much of a baseball fan but always deferred my interest to the Tigers. The proximity of Comerica Park to Ford Field, the iconic D, etc. During the quarantine, I have been playing this tap baseball game and have become better versed in the game. I'd like to get a better handle on the Tigers. Who are the star players? How does the roster compare to other MLB teams? Who are the key rivals? Etc. 

Welcome to the very frustrating world of being a Tigers fan! As a Lions fan it shouldn't be very tough for you though.

Who are their stars - I guess Miguel Cabrera is their only star, but he is just about completely spent at this point though. He should be a future hall of famer though, and in his prime I've never seen a better pure hitter in my life (Maybe Pujols)

How do they compare to other teams - They have been one of the worst teams in baseball since 2017 and are going to continue to be one of the worst for the next couple seasons at least. There is hope though, they have a very strong group of minor league SP's that could all see the field this season (if there is a season) Casey Mize, Matt Manning and Tarik Skubal are all very promising prospects that can hopefully turn things around quickly. The minor league bats are pretty weak, but they're lead by 2019 first round pick Riley Greene. They also own the 1st pick in the next MLB draft.

Key Rivals -  All of the AL central teams are their key rivals. Also personally I would say the Yankees and Athletics are rivals, due to meeting them both in the playoffs multiple times in recent years. In the NL I would say the Cardinals are our main rival over there.

I hope this quick rundown helps you a bit, but I would recommend reading up on the Tigers farm system some more, because that really is future of the team.

• Like 3

Just now, davisblack said:

Welcome to the very frustrating world of being a Tigers fan! As a Lions fan it shouldn't be very tough for you though.

Who are their stars - I guess Miguel Cabrera is their only star, but he is just about completely spent at this point though. He should be a future hall of famer though, and in his prime I've never seen a better pure hitter in my life (Maybe Pujols)

How do they compare to other teams - They have been one of the worst teams in baseball since 2017 and are going to continue to be one of the worst for the next couple seasons at least. There is hope though, they have a very strong group of minor league SP's that could all see the field this season (if there is a season) Casey Mize, Matt Manning and Tarik Skubal are all very promising prospects that can hopefully turn things around quickly. The minor league bats are pretty weak, but they're lead by 2019 first round pick Riley Greene. They also own the 1st pick in the next MLB draft.

Key Rivals -  All of the AL central teams are their key rivals. Also personally I would say the Yankees and Athletics are rivals, due to meeting them both in the playoffs multiple times in recent years. In the NL I would say the Cardinals are our main rival over there.

I hope this quick rundown helps you a bit, but I would recommend reading up on the Tigers farm system some more, because that really is future of the team.

Fair enough, thanks a ton dude. 

11 minutes ago, davisblack said:

@Karnage84

To add to this, the Tigers have a few decent pieces in the majors.  Matt Boyd was having a great year last year until August and fell apart, but still had one of the higher K rates in baseball which is a plus.  The hope is he would be moved at some point last year or this year for some minor league bats to help the farm system.  He likely wont pull as much as we all hoped, but given he still has a couple years left of control, should be able to pull a decent prospect or two in a deal.  

There are also a couple other developmental arms in the majors.  Mike Fulmer had a great rookie year, bad second year, and then had tommy john surgery.  If he can get back close to the form of his rookie year, he will either be valuable as a trade chip or middle of the rotation pitcher once Mize, Manning, and Skubal come up.  Spencer Turnbow had a solid year last year and although he isnt great, could be a solid 4/5 starter on a good team.  The hope is he can maintain and be a solid 4/5 pitcher as well. 

Our bats in the majors are awful.  Niko Goodrum is decent, can play all over the infield as a utility but he is our SS and probably most consistent bat which is a bad sign.  I think he has some value to the team but given we wont really be trying to be competitive until 2021/22, he likely wont be around then. The rest of the team is made up of journeymen and guys on the wrong end of their careers like CJ Cron, Schoop or propsects who just arent really developing like Jacoby Jones, Travis Demerite, Christian Stewart, Daniel Norris, Joe Jimenez, Cameron Maybin. 

As Davis said, read up on the farm as those will be the core of the team when we are competitive again.  Some intriguing names, but they have a lot of work to do like Riley Greene, Isaac Paredes, Parker Meadows, Wencel Perez, Brock Deatherage (mainly because of his name), etc.  There is one international signing we made last year for Roberto Campos who is intriguing.  He is only 16 years old and the Tigers tried to hide him prior to the signing period so scouts don't really know what he is going to be but the Tigers spent more on him than any international free agent in their history so they must really like him.  It might be good to find another team to cheer for for the next year or two while you watch the youth develop or it may push you away from baseball again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

As Davis said, read up on the farm as those will be the core of the team when we are competitive again.  Some intriguing names, but they have a lot of work to do like Riley Greene, Isaac Paredes, Parker Meadows, Wencel Perez, Brock Deatherage (mainly because of his name), etc.  There is one international signing we made last year for Roberto Campos who is intriguing.  He is only 16 years old and the Tigers tried to hide him prior to the signing period so scouts don't really know what he is going to be but the Tigers spent more on him than any international free agent in their history so they must really like him.  It might be good to find another team to cheer for for the next year or two while you watch the youth develop or it may push you away from baseball again. 

I'd sign him to play for the Lions.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, TimeForChange said:

I forgot about this site. 

This makes me extremely sad.

I’ve been a member 15 years (2 names-Webmaster approved)

Its been dead for years but I like to imagine I made real friendships here. 

I miss the heydays of this forum.

To be fair, this site has actually been pretty active for the last few months.  Since there is no sports happening and not much more to talk about, it has really died down.  But I hope many will be back when sports come back.  

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

To be fair, this site has actually been pretty active for the last few months.  Since there is no sports happening and not much more to talk about, it has really died down.  But I hope many will be back when sports come back.  

Nobody else wants to talk about Agnew being converted over to WR?

Just me? Ok.....

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but hoping for some visibility:

For anyone interested, I'm taking part in an All NFL Draft on the GM Mock Drafts forum. We're going to be doing a snake style draft and building our own teams including coaches. I've done it in the past and it's been a lot of fun and helps learn about the state of talent in the league and different positions and on different teams. Disclaimer, this process usually takes about a month or so depending on the number of participants and how much people are able to stay on top of time schedules. If anyone's interested check it out!