The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

10 hours ago, TimeForChange said:

Casey Mize getting that TJS

They say it was a shoulder but the reaction sure looked like elbow.  It would suck losing a year of development but at the same time this might play better into the timeline of our rebuild as it was going to be hard to explain keeping him down much longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Tigers needs to quit messing around and go out and grab the prospects they've been rumored to want/asking for. Cough up a little extra if they have too the future young hitters are more important than today's everyday players.

Tigers trade LHSP Mathew Boyd and OF Niko Goodrum to the Phillies for prospect 3B Alec Brohm.

Tigers trade RHRP Shane Green and OF/1B Nick Castellanos to the Astros for prospect OF Kyle Tucker

Tucker in RF and Brohm at 3B or 1st. I know people aren't fans of Miguel Cabrera but... These two playing with one of the best hitters EVER could learn somethings. An if the Tigers become semi competitive the next season, not division winners or anything but something close or a little north of .500. Miggy will help more/be more engaged imo. 

Both players above could settle in to the middle of our batting line-up as well with good power/average. 

Oh wow, https://www.blessyouboys.com/2019/7/5/20683850/detroit-tigers-al-avila-contract-extension-poll

This makes me cry, an Al Avila extension? For what? Bothers me because he doesn't deserve it in any way. He's pretty much proven nothing and if anything, proven that he's less capable than others... But... Idk I'm convinced they're going to sell the Tigers eventually here so keep the same crew in town till it's sold is the typical strategy. 

We seen it with the Pistons when Mr. Davidson died and his wife basically let the team just roll on till she sold it to Gores who, I thought at the time, would be a decent owner but clearly he's top 5-10 worst owners in the NBA right now. It's not on a Pheonix/New York level yet but we're getting right on par with the Magic/Kings. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't even remember the last time I watched a full Tigers game. lol. My baseball knowledge on players, etc, has gone out the window. Tough game to watch when your favorite team is bad imo. Anyone can say that about every league, but baseball is extremely bad imo. Basketball is a solid second though, both leagues, half the teams aren't even trying to win at all. 

NHL/NFL it's more of a get in a the playoffs and anything can happen sort of thing. (STL this year, Giants vs Pats, ATL NFC run)

The on going "Rumor" forever has been that the Tigers are going to be sold eventually. Family pressure, operating at a loss, high valuation, not as favored as the Red Wings by the Family. There has been a lot of smoke around this rumor and with the team not really adding long-term contracts and playing out these bad ones my theory is it's looking like they're shedding payroll/cost, to be more profitable, and looking to sell to a new owner once Avila's contract is up or almost up. IF... They buy-out Miggy this summer and come to terms with him, Zimmerman comes off the books after next season... The Pay roll drops 55 million in those two players alone. The team looks more sell-able, imo, if they pull those moves, and keep signing fringe players/veterans at 2-10 million per year for 1-2 year deals. I think the days of the Tigers going out and being a bidder on the top UFA's are over for quite awhile. Tigers will need to rely on an in-house Super Star talent to jump-start a real rebuild to make us competitive.   

Edited by SimbaWho

11 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I don't even remember the last time I watched a full Tigers game. lol. My baseball knowledge on players, etc, has gone out the window. Tough game to watch when your favorite team is bad imo. Anyone can say that about every league, but baseball is extremely bad imo. Basketball is a solid second though, both leagues, half the teams aren't even trying to win at all. 

NHL/NFL it's more of a get in a the playoffs and anything can happen sort of thing. (STL this year, Giants vs Pats, ATL NFC run)

The on going "Rumor" forever has been that the Tigers are going to be sold eventually. Family pressure, operating at a loss, high valuation, not as favored as the Red Wings by the Family. There has been a lot of smoke around this rumor and with the team not really adding long-term contracts and playing out these bad ones my theory is it's looking like they're shedding payroll/cost, to be more profitable, and looking to sell to a new owner once Avila's contract is up or almost up. IF... They buy-out Miggy this summer and come to terms with him, Zimmerman comes off the books after next season... The Pay roll drops 55 million in those two players alone. The team looks more sell-able, imo, if they pull those moves, and keep signing fringe players/veterans at 2-10 million per year for 1-2 year deals. I think the days of the Tigers going out and being a bidder on the top UFA's are over for quite awhile. Tigers will need to rely on an in-house Super Star talent to jump-start a real rebuild to make us competitive.   

Well, I hope not all of that is true. If the family sells the team I hope another owner with deep pockets that wants to win steps up.

13 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I am not sure I buy the shed salary/sell narrative.  They are doing the right thing by shedding salary in years they struggle.  They also are doing a good job of building a farm system.  They have a top 30 prospect in both the rotation and in the field, they will have the top pick next year which likely will add another top 30 bat to go with three other top 100 pitchers.  Once these guys get up to the bigs, the team will spend on free agents, which is when they should.  No point spending now when they are trying to rid themselves of bad contracts and build up some young guys.  The Illitch family saw how profitable and popular the Tigers are when they are good.  They want that again.

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am not sure I buy the shed salary/sell narrative.  They are doing the right thing by shedding salary in years they struggle.  They also are doing a good job of building a farm system.  They have a top 30 prospect in both the rotation and in the field, they will have the top pick next year which likely will add another top 30 bat to go with three other top 100 pitchers.  Once these guys get up to the bigs, the team will spend on free agents, which is when they should.  No point spending now when they are trying to rid themselves of bad contracts and build up some young guys.  The Illitch family saw how profitable and popular the Tigers are when they are good.  They want that again.

Where I have difficulty is looking at the returns Avila got during the selloff. They’ve sold off allot of good players and I don’t see the talent in the system. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Where I have difficulty is looking at the returns Avila got during the selloff. They’ve sold off allot of good players and I don’t see the talent in the system. 

The return wasn't ever going to be great.  JV was declining when we sent him away.  He has been rejuvenated in Houston but with his contract length and how he was playing we weren't going to get much for him.  We did get a solid C who is not hitting great but is getting on base, has 4 HR's in 12 games, and is improving the pitching staff with his defense.  Perez seems to be an injury bust but if he ever gets throwing he still has loads of potential and is only 21.  He has thrown 2 games this year which is a record in our organization so I am not high on him. 

The other trades we weren't trading top end stuff so it makes sense we wouldn't get top end return.  I didn't like getting a bunch of arms in the deal but if we can replenish the bullpen with these moves and have a playable OF in Demerite who looks like he belongs its better than what we would have got for sitting on these guys and wasting their time here. 

The draft is where we have built, and Avila has done a good job IMO in that area.  He has drafted Manning, Mize, Greene, Skubal, Faedo, and others with potential like Deathrage, Clemens, Meadows, and its exciting to see what Campos could be once we get him here and he starts playing. Sounds like we have had the in on him for a few years and finally were able to sign him.  There really is a lot to get excited about but again its a couple of years out.

Avila reportedly turned down a deal involving Fulmer + Wilson going to Houston for Alex Bregman.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/tigers-turned-down-deals-for-javier-baez-and-alex-bregman-at-2017-trade-deadline-to-keep-michael-fulmer-report-says/

So while there may not have been a better return to get on guys like JV, there have certainly been some incredible missed opportunities.