The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

Don't know much outside of the first round guys in the MLB to be honest. Least favorite sport, Hard to know teams full rosters all the time too... but, I still pay attention. That being said it's pretty damn hard to watch college baseball prospects! Some are in frickin highschool! It's like the hardest draft to follow!

That being said I seen some of Torkelson. Dude looks sweet. I think he'll be up like, soon soon; Next year soon. :o Wild for a MLB prospect I think. (Outside of a pitcher) Dudes got an eye with some power and a sweet swing. He's going to hit for average, power, draw walks, RBI's. He'll be the first hitter I think I've seen Tigers bring up that'll be a Star.(IMO) I really hope they don't screw things up by moving him to 3rd! Just let him play his natural position, C.J. Cron is a UFA next year anyways, the ideal move is trade CJ Cron at the MLB deadline anyways!(if there is one this year even.)

Now the rest of the draft... Who knows! I know they drafted a guy named Dingler which sounds iffy, even worst when he's from Ohio State, but I'll let that slide for now! I literally know nothing about the rest of these guys, just hope one or two work out. It's nice when you draft a guy like Skubal late and you can insert him with your top picks. 

I'm Really rooting for Deathrage over Dingler, and idk what Deathrage's position is but it's obvious why! ;) It's just tough to think a Tiger can be a Dingler at the same time...

Edited by SimbaWho

5 hours ago, TimeForChange said:

Tigers killed it in the draft 

Yes they sure did.

Torkelson is a potential star. I’m really most excited about the Dingler pick though. Quality prospect and if he reaches full potential it would be great. Having a home grown quality catcher is a huge bonus. He has a canon for an arm.

Cruz has pedigree, talent and is off the charts positive.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trei-cruz-tigers-draft-pick-baseball-family

We’ve got to get Dingler a nick name. Perhaps Dinger or Marshall ( Dillon). 🤠

I really liked the Tigers draft but will say I think they passed some talent forcing the college hitter thing.  I also think they should have grabbed Jordan Blaze in the 4th to add some potential longer term to the minors.  He has Joey Gallo upside IMO which is a steal in round 4, especially to an AL team.  

I was iffy on Tork, not so much because he isnt amazing but because I really liked Martin.  And I feel power is easier to fuind than a five tool player who already has an amazing hit tool.  But I am ok with Tork, I just hope he is as good as expected and that we dont screw him up somehow.  I also hope we move the fences in at some point or power bats will not want to be here.  Nick Castellanos would have averaged about 7 more HRs a year if they were at average distance.  Miggy would be well above 500 too.  

I liked the Dingler pick, especially given it looks like Rogers is really going to struggle with the bat.  He will be a solid backup C but glad we have someone who is close to the majors likely and wont be a black hole in the lineup.  

Cabrera sounds like another solid bat.  Not sure he is a world beater but in that part of the draft you are just hoping to have guys that can make it to the league.  He should be able to hold down a COF spot for a while and provide mid/lower production with the bat, which is more than most of our OF prospects can say.  

It will be interesting to see what they do this year.  Expecting larger rosters with the short season and likely no minors so Tork may be up this year to get work with the big club.  Same with Dingler.  Will be interesting to see how they treat their service time for those that do get the early call.  I have heard that was a big reason so many college bats went early this year because they were likely able to at least get some seasoning with the big club. 

• Like 1

OMG, Is Dingler really that good? I literally know nothing about him outside the name and his school he's from. Going to cringe at that name for awhile till he's so good I just can't anymore! lol. 

Serious note, It'd be really good if he was starter quality at C. Tigers need someone like Slim mentioned cause Rodgers looks at best right now... a back up C. 

Edited by SimbaWho

23 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

OMG, Is Dingler really that good? I literally know nothing about him outside the name and his school he's from. Going to cringe at that name for awhile till he's so good I just can't anymore! lol. 

Serious note, It'd be really good if he was starter quality at C. Tigers need someone like Slim mentioned cause Rodgers looks at best right now... a back up C. 

I think Dingler will be about three years. Who knows with the upcoming season he may get an early opportunity. He certainly has the upside to be the starter behind the plate.

• 1 month later...

Random story. Thought I'd share it.

I was playing a fresh franchise with the Jets in Head Coach 09 (the greatest football game of all time) and decided to move down in the 1st round to #22. At #22, the Lions offered me a trade: a 6th round pick and their future 1st round pick for #22. Believing that they'd struggle, I took the deal, but was curious who'd they draft. Kellen Davis - TE. (Granted, he had a late 1st round grade, but still... those darn TEs.)

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 11:26 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Random story. Thought I'd share it.

I was playing a fresh franchise with the Jets in Head Coach 09 (the greatest football game of all time) and decided to move down in the 1st round to #22. At #22, the Lions offered me a trade: a 6th round pick and their future 1st round pick for #22. Believing that they'd struggle, I took the deal, but was curious who'd they draft. Kellen Davis - TE. (Granted, he had a late 1st round grade, but still... those darn TEs.)

I absolutely love that game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It's majestic. The best football game I've ever played. Madden doesn't even come close. (If they put time/effort/resources into franchise mode, it could... but they won't.)

I would love it for them to update the graphics and then re-release it. It was great that you could redo the previous draft. 

Of course it'll never happen. Also - NCAA needs to come back. Without question. EA needs to do whatever is needed to make it work. 

On 7/20/2020 at 3:39 PM, Karnage84 said:

I would love it for them to update the graphics and then re-release it. It was great that you could redo the previous draft. 

Of course it'll never happen. Also - NCAA needs to come back. Without question. EA needs to do whatever is needed to make it work. 

(I thought I replied to this...)

Definitely. I love going back and trying different strategies with different coaches/teams. Unfortunately, there aren't any loot boxes, so EA will refuse to touch it. Such a shame. (And NCAA was fantastic as well. Transferring draft classes from NCAA to Madden was incredible.)

44 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

(I thought I replied to this...)

Definitely. I love going back and trying different strategies with different coaches/teams. Unfortunately, there aren't any loot boxes, so EA will refuse to touch it. Such a shame. (And NCAA was fantastic as well. Transferring draft classes from NCAA to Madden was incredible.)

I have been patiently waiting for your reply.... lol

Agreed - they won't touch it given that it is basically a glorified version of franchise mode. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or why they wouldn't split the games out. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I have been patiently waiting for your reply.... lol

Agreed - they won't touch it given that it is basically a glorified version of franchise mode. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or why they wouldn't split the games out. 

Honestly, and just like the FIFA series, I think it comes down to money. The Ultimate Team mode across all EA Sports games made EA Sports an additional $1.79 billion in 2019. Franchise makes them... nothing. There's no incentive to improve Franchise when you can just rake in cash with Ultimate Team.

It's why a deep offline experience like Head Coach will never be developed by a company like EA Sports. It's just not worth it to them.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:08 PM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Honestly, and just like the FIFA series, I think it comes down to money. The Ultimate Team mode across all EA Sports games made EA Sports an additional $1.79 billion in 2019. Franchise makes them... nothing. There's no incentive to improve Franchise when you can just rake in cash with Ultimate Team.

It's why a deep offline experience like Head Coach will never be developed by a company like EA Sports. It's just not worth it to them.

That makes sense although I don't really get the appeal of Ultimate Team. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

That makes sense although I don't really get the appeal of Ultimate Team. 

I disliked it for Madden but got into it for FIFA. It's just a competitive loot box grind: play games, earn coins, spend coins to upgrade your team, play games, etc. That chance to land a special card from opening packs speaks to a lot of people.