The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

3 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Dubois would be an excellent addition to any team. 

I'm just not sure the cost is worth it for such a young roster. The guy is elite, without question, but what do you think they would demand? Multiple 1st round picks and some top-tier prospects? I don't see how we'd add Dubois while keeping our young talent on the roster.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:03 AM, SimbaWho said:

I watch quite a bit of hockey. Talk a little with Diehard time to time on here.

Red Wings need help up the middle. Fabbri is a ok experiment so far, it's nice to figure out what you have. Pierre-Luc Dubois needs to be targeted. Not sure it can happen but, getting a legit center threat on that 2nd line needs to be a huge priority.

Rasmussen/Veleno don't look to be those guys right now, still NHL'ers but more 3rd line guys.

Wingers are developing well! Zadina has looked really good this year so far. They've got some good looking guys in the system at Winger, like you mentioned.

Mo Seider could walk in and be our best defense-men immediately.

LHD- Owen Powers is the guy I've got my eye's on during draft time. For the season, just looking for competitive hockey, don't expect a winner. Don't expect epic levels like last year either though.

No one I'd say is exceptional though, so it's a good year to trade that 1stOA if you target a stud available.

It's unfortunate that we'd probably end up winning the lottery with such an underwhelming draft, and considering the COVID circumstances. 

Zadina has looked fantastic, but I've been really disappointed with Mantha's play so far. It's probably a lack of conditioning from the long break between hockey action, but he has looked slow, sluggish and flat-footed. He seems to stop and lunge rather than skating hard. I really hope it's due to the long break and not an effort thing.

On 1/19/2021 at 10:36 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'm just not sure the cost is worth it for such a young roster. The guy is elite, without question, but what do you think they would demand? Multiple 1st round picks and some top-tier prospects? I don't see how we'd add Dubois while keeping our young talent on the roster.

Now that he’s with the Jets it doesn’t matter.

It would’ve taken a top flight player or picks I expect. The Wings have some good young talent but let’s remember Dubois is a legit number 1 centre that has a complete game and is just 22 years old. Some may disagree but a big centre is second on my priority chart right behind goaltending.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

It would’ve taken a top flight player or picks I expect. The Wings have some good young talent but let’s remember Dubois is a legit number 1 centre that has a complete game and is just 22 years old. Some may disagree but a big centre is second on my priority chart right behind goaltending.

Yeah, Dubois is an elite player at such a young age. I just worry what the cost would've been for a team that isn't ready to compete right now.

So being old and retired I had wanted to buy a 100-150 acre hobby farm. I got over ruled by my wife who accurately pointed out that if something happens to me she would be stuck, by herself, in the country. (She forgot the part where I was going to build a house for one if my daughters.

Anyway because we are staying put we are renovating the house. Goodness this pandemic makes it challenging. We are currently under a stay home order so it’s difficult buying everything online. It’s surprising how difficult it can be determining products you want when you can’t physically see them. Then there’s supply chain issues. Appliances take months and months. Some cuts of wood are problematic. Certain sand paper is non existent. 

It’s also interesting trying to determine when to purchase items. I’ve ordered some doors and windows but they can’t come measure because of  health rules. You can wait to order and get at the back of the line or place orders and hope it all works out.

53 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

So being old and retired I had wanted to buy a 100-150 acre hobby farm. I got over ruled by my wife who accurately pointed out that if something happens to me she would be stuck, by herself, in the country. (She forgot the part where I was going to build a house for one if my daughters.

Anyway because we are staying put we are renovating the house. Goodness this pandemic makes it challenging. We are currently under a stay home order so it’s difficult buying everything online. It’s surprising how difficult it can be determining products you want when you can’t physically see them. Then there’s supply chain issues. Appliances take months and months. Some cuts of wood are problematic. Certain sand paper is non existent. 

It’s also interesting trying to determine when to purchase items. I’ve ordered some doors and windows but they can’t come measure because of  health rules. You can wait to order and get at the back of the line or place orders and hope it all works out.

Yeah, it's insane how much COVID has changed things. We spent a year trying to sell our house in PA and COVID almost cancelled that plan for good. (Thankfully, it did not.)

Here's to hoping that the vaccines help and things start to move forward in a "normal" way as quickly as possible.

13 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I have also heard that when you can actually get a contractor to do something (which is very difficult to do because they are so high in demand) that initial quotes can jump even 15% because of materials and you're looking at delays of weeks or even months. 

It is pretty nuts out there.

12 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, it's insane how much COVID has changed things. We spent a year trying to sell our house in PA and COVID almost cancelled that plan for good. (Thankfully, it did not.)

Here's to hoping that the vaccines help and things start to move forward in a "normal" way as quickly as possible.

"Normal" is likely going to come around end of 2021 and into 2022, assuming the vaccine plans go as expected. Which is never usually the case. It'll be an interesting few months. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

It's my most important thing when starting a team,(IMO). Power Play and Penalty Kills are made based on franchise centers, imo.

* Red Wings should keep keen eyes on elite centers around this league that become available. Barkov/Eichel come to mind immediately(as long-shots). Even on defense(left side) if they get a shot at some elite talent this year/off-season they gotta swing imo. It's time to take that next step, and give our draft picks some talent to play with when the money comes off the books.

The Jets had a better offer to win now that what the Red Wings could of put together, Basically any team really. Solid deal on the Blue Jackets part.

Red Wings goal tending so far this year isn't that bad. It's scoring, lack of top talent and special teams killing them again.

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

"Normal" is likely going to come around end of 2021 and into 2022, assuming the vaccine plans go as expected. Which is never usually the case. It'll be an interesting few months. 

We would be much better off here had our federal government committed to building a vaccine manufacturing facility.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

It's my most important thing when starting a team,(IMO). Power Play and Penalty Kills are made based on franchise centers, imo.

* Red Wings should keep keen eyes on elite centers around this league that become available. Barkov/Eichel come to mind immediately(as long-shots). Even on defense(left side) if they get a shot at some elite talent this year/off-season they gotta swing imo. It's time to take that next step, and give our draft picks some talent to play with when the money comes off the books.

The Jets had a better offer to win now that what the Red Wings could of put together, Basically any team really. Solid deal on the Blue Jackets part.

Red Wings goal tending so far this year isn't that bad. It's scoring, lack of top talent and special teams killing them again.

I’m not sure which centres in the league will become available but I would keep an eye on Edmonton.

Its a long shot but they have McDavid, Draisaitl, Baby Nuge,  Turris and others down the middle. They’ve played Nuge on the wing because of their depth.

They have some great young defenders that will be coming up over the next year but lack goaltending and could use a pure scorer on the wings.

Nuge is renegotiating and the Oilers have indicated they won’t go above 7 million per year. They have a balance problem in that McDavid and Draisaitl are both top end number 1’s. Nuge is capable of centering a top line but is a high end number 2. At some point the money spent down the middle will limit how much they can spend in other areas. Bear is on a bridge deal but they will likely have to pay big bucks at some point on the young blue liners.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m not sure which centres in the league will become available but I would keep an eye on Edmonton.

Its a long shot but they have McDavid, Draisaitl, Baby Nuge,  Turris and others down the middle. They’ve played Nuge on the wing because of their depth.

They have some great young defenders that will be coming up over the next year but lack goaltending and could use a pure scorer on the wings.

Nuge is renegotiating and the Oilers have indicated they won’t go above 7 million per year. They have a balance problem in that McDavid and Draisaitl are both top end number 1’s. Nuge is capable of centering a top line but is a high end number 2. At some point the money spent down the middle will limit how much they can spend in other areas. Bear is on a bridge deal but they will likely have to pay big bucks at some point on the young blue liners.

Idk what it'd cost but assuming he'd come over and sign a new deal.

Robbie Fabbri/Bobby Ryan/Jonathan Bernier/3rd rdp 

For

RNH. Signs 6 year extension.

Add or minus a few pieces but that's how id' imagine a Oilers/Red Wings trade right now.

Sets them up for their cup run and clears a lot of money. 

Red Wings get a guy to pair with Zadina/Raymond.