The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

On 1/28/2021 at 11:58 AM, SimbaWho said:

Idk what it'd cost but assuming he'd come over and sign a new deal.

Add or minus a few pieces but that's how id' imagine a Oilers/Red Wings trade right now.

Sets them up for their cup run and clears a lot of money. 

Red Wings get a guy to pair with Zadina/Raymond. 

It would take more than what you suggested. Fabbri couldn’t stick with the Oilers previously. Ryan is years past his prime. He’s off to his best start in years but I don’t think he can maintain that and if he’s not scoring he’s not better than the Oilers bottom six.

Bernier is interesting. The Oilers certainly aren’t set in goal although they seem to think Koskinin can hold down the number one spot.

This pandemic will create hardship for some teams and windfalls for others.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Every game Connor McDavid does amazing things. Simply the best skater I’ve ever seen. His short lateral quickness and acceleration are off the charts.

I’m really liking the all Canadian Division. By mid point in the schedule the games will certainly be intense.

So true. The guy is insane.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/offseason-team-previews/2021-lions-offseason-preview

I found this interesting. Helps with doing mocks n such

Interesting it says "notable departures" and has Owkara but he isn't gone yet. He's actually a RFA, so the Lions could choose to sign him to whatever deal he can get elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Interesting it says "notable departures" and has Owkara but he isn't gone yet. He's actually a RFA, so the Lions could choose to sign him to whatever deal he can get elsewhere. 

Came across this:

"Friday marks five days since the 2021 Super Bowl ended the playing portion of the 2020 season. It also means that Detroit Lions defensive end Romeo Okwara is now an unrestricted free agent.

Okwara’s contract he signed with the Lions in 2019 featured a clause that automatically voided the 2021 season effective five days after the conclusion of the Super Bowl. It was done to space out the salary cap hit when the team signed him to a contract extension in March of 2019.

As a result of the voided year, the Lions will take on a $901,668 cap charge in 2021 due to the signing bonus proration."

On 2/15/2021 at 4:22 PM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Came across this:

"Friday marks five days since the 2021 Super Bowl ended the playing portion of the 2020 season. It also means that Detroit Lions defensive end Romeo Okwara is now an unrestricted free agent.

Okwara’s contract he signed with the Lions in 2019 featured a clause that automatically voided the 2021 season effective five days after the conclusion of the Super Bowl. It was done to space out the salary cap hit when the team signed him to a contract extension in March of 2019.

As a result of the voided year, the Lions will take on a $901,668 cap charge in 2021 due to the signing bonus proration."

Interesting... so basically.. nobody really knows what is up with Romeo's contract. This seems specific enough to be more likely/highly plausible. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if Yzerman will pull some magic and bring Eichel in.

He's spent two off-season's basically preparing for this kind of situation, Wings have money, players, picks, prospects. Not saying at all they're favorites but I think Wings are dark horse in this. It'll just depend on how much they actually wanna give up draft-wise, imo. 

It'll cost, Kids a top 5 center/player in the whole league though. Already signed.

11 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Wonder if Yzerman will pull some magic and bring Eichel in.

He's spent two off-season's basically preparing for this kind of situation, Wings have money, players, picks, prospects. Not saying at all they're favorites but I think Wings are dark horse in this. It'll just depend on how much they actually wanna give up draft-wise, imo. 

It'll cost, Kids a top 5 center/player in the whole league though. Already signed.

Just like Dubois, I'd love to add him... just scared of the compensation. If they want a current (Mantha or Bertuzzi), a prospect (Seider or Raymond) and picks (a 1st or two), I just can't get behind it.

24 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Just like Dubois, I'd love to add him... just scared of the compensation. If they want a current (Mantha or Bertuzzi), a prospect (Seider or Raymond) and picks (a 1st or two), I just can't get behind it.

I mean, that's the talking point I think, the trade you outlined there.

It's really an opportunity here and makes since cause you get Eichel, instant franchise player, maybe should be named C. Allow's Larkin to slide down and play his more suited two-way game on the 2nd line. Eichels better than Dubois, it's legit to talk about Eichel in the top 5 players playing.

Even letting go of Mantha, Raymond, and two 1st round picks. Red Wings still have prospects in the system, and have 2nd/3rd round picks stashed up. While likely moving other guys like rumored Glendening/Ryan/Staal for some draft picks.

50+ million to spend. It's a massive opportunity. It's no doubt a bold move, but if Red Wings were to EVER make a move, they're time is like now and next year with these weird COVID drafts. Players will be ranked all over the place on a team by team basis's more than ever before. Just cause Red Wings don't have a top 5 pick won't mean they don't come away with good players/prospects in the next couple drafts.

I also don't think it's likely, some teams can offer super-star swaps and stuff so, it'll depend on the direction Buffalo wants to go(Rebuild/retool). They're also, imo, going to trying to unload Skinner's contract as a part of any deal made. Which is a disastrous one(Amount/Time). 

It's along the lines imo of a Miguel Cabrera type move. He is that type of player in Hockey.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1