The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm kind of souring on Calvin.  I loved the player, but these antics are something else.  I get not wanting to play in Detroit. I get you gave your everything, including your health for this organization...but isn't this what almost all football players do? No one goes into football thinking, "geez this is a nice cushy job where I'll go out the same physical shape as I came in". To hold this as your main claim, or what appears to be main claim, to not receiving full compensation for failing to produce your contract seems a little weak in my opinion.  Now, it just seems like sour grapes on his end.  Furthermore I'd think, financially speaking, he has more to lose by not working with the Lions than the Lions do for not working with him.  Maybe I'm just off on all my assessments.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm kind of souring on Calvin.  I loved the player, but these antics are something else.  I get not wanting to play in Detroit. I get you gave your everything, including your health for this organization...but isn't this what almost all football players do? No one goes into football thinking, "geez this is a nice cushy job where I'll go out the same physical shape as I came in". To hold this as your main claim, or what appears to be main claim, to not receiving full compensation for failing to produce your contract seems a little weak in my opinion.  Now, it just seems like sour grapes on his end.  Furthermore I'd think, financially speaking, he has more to lose by not working with the Lions than the Lions do for not working with him.  Maybe I'm just off on all my assessments.

I agree completely.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I agree as well.  At some point, just realize you made a ton of money and signed a contract, and since you didn't fulfill that contract, you had to give a little back.  He still should have a lot of money and seems he could use a connection with the Lions to further his new business endeavors like other Lions have in the past.   And yes, football is a physical sport, thats why they make so much money. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree as well.  At some point, just realize you made a ton of money and signed a contract, and since you didn't fulfill that contract, you had to give a little back.  He still should have a lot of money and seems he could use a connection with the Lions to further his new business endeavors like other Lions have in the past.   And yes, football is a physical sport, thats why they make so much money. 

If he really had wanted to play for another team he could have really forced the issue but he didn't. So I do agree he should not be complaining quite as much. I still think the Lions should have just paid him the $1M (or let him keep it) but I have a feeling this attitude might have been the reason they just said "eff it, we're keeping it". 

11 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I think you’ve summed it up nicely. I find the timing of his remarks curious.

Has anyone heard him say he wanted to play elsewhere before?

I suspect his irrelevance might be upsetting him. If you notice there was no mention of his comments anywhere on the forum.

No one cares at this point.

Edited by diehardlionfan
Add another thought🤠
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I think you’ve summed it up nicely. I find the timing of his remarks curious.

Has anyone heard him say he wanted to play elsewhere before?

I suspect his irrelevance might be upsetting him. If you notice there was no mention of his comments anywhere on the forum.

No one cares at this point.

The part in bold is a great point. Wouldn't this have been the first thing he would've said post-retirement?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

The part in bold is a great point. Wouldn't this have been the first thing he would've said post-retirement?

If not before retirement.
If CJ wanted to play elsewhere he could’ve made it happen. The league would have an interest in his continued play as well.

In any event, post retirement press conference would be appropriate. When they were haggling over his bonus he could have gone public then as well.

Perhaps he’s manoeuvring for a comeback in another city?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I've been saying this for awhile. His story keeps changing. It's disheartening. I am a big Megatron fan, but Calvin Johnson is starting to annoy me. 

• Like 5

Wow, I might watch the Pistons win again before the Lions or Tigers!!!

Seriously though, huge pick up for them getting the 1st overall pick. Cade Cunningham has a chance to be a super-star. Top 10 talent in the league type potential. Without a major signing he's coming in as the 2nd best player, imo, behind Grant.

Pistons also snagged three 2nd rdp's through trades this year, so, outside of Cunningham they'll be adding more talent possibly. At the very least adding depth to there prospect line up. Cap space to go sign a player, bargin hunt again like they did with Grant. I like Evan Fournier but Idk whats a fair number. Or if he'd leave Boston to come here for similar money. Grant was a special situation, imo, last year. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Wow, I might watch the Pistons win again before the Lions or Tigers!!!

Seriously though, huge pick up for them getting the 1st overall pick. Cade Cunningham has a chance to be a super-star. Top 10 talent in the league type potential. Without a major signing he's coming in as the 2nd best player, imo, behind Grant.

Pistons also snagged three 2nd rdp's through trades this year, so, outside of Cunningham they'll be adding more talent possibly. At the very least adding depth to there prospect line up. Cap space to go sign a player, bargin hunt again like they did with Grant. I like Evan Fournier but Idk whats a fair number. Or if he'd leave Boston to come here for similar money. Grant was a special situation, imo, last year. 

Snagging #1 is a huge get. It creates excitement, increases fan engagement and if they get the right player gets them respectable really quick.

I don’t claim to know much about basketball however the number one pick seems to have more immediate impact in the NBA.

How do you feel about Mobley?

Which player improves the team, the most?

Edited by diehardlionfan

I don't think Mobley is a bad player but he's no Cunningham. I know Pistons just drafted Killian Hayes at PG but Cunningham can come in, run the offense and transition into it well, being the 2nd best scorer and having Grant as the main guy on offense. Mobley would help this team but big men's impact isn't what it once was, and I don't think he's as good as previous bigs coming out like Karl Anthony Towns/Ayton.

Mobley has it all for a big but in the NBA I'm not sure he'll handle guys like Giannis/Durant/Embiid/etc. Cunningham has a chance to stand tall with the best players in the league.

Cunningham is very similar to Luca Doncic as a point forward. Cunningham has got another lead scorer with him(Grant), Pistons should figure out how to get more shooters.(IMO). With just this pick they'll be competing for a playoff spot and hover around .500 wins.

They're in a cool spot where, based on wins, they can be legit buyers at the TDL, or, really good sellers if things didn't shake out well. Sekou Doumbouya is the longest tenured Piston now, and is our youngest current player... Lol, but yeah Doumbouya, C Mason Plumlee, G/F Josh Jackson, PG Corey Joseph could all possibly be moved for later 1st round and 2nd round picks.

I think we could see something before draft with a player and some package of our 3 2nd rdp's to move up into the 1st.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

I don't think Mobley is a bad player but he's no Cunningham. I know Pistons just drafted Killian Hayes at PG but Cunningham can come in, run the offense and transition into it well, being the 2nd best scorer and having Grant as the main guy on offense. Mobley would help this team but big men's impact isn't what it once was, and I don't think he's as good as previous bigs coming out like Karl Anthony Towns/Ayton.

Mobley has it all for a big but in the NBA I'm not sure he'll handle guys like Giannis/Durant/Embiid/etc. Cunningham has a chance to stand tall with the best players in the league.

Cunningham is very similar to Luca Doncic as a point forward. Cunningham has got another lead scorer with him(Grant), Pistons should figure out how to get more shooters.(IMO). With just this pick they'll be competing for a playoff spot and hover around .500 wins.

They're in a cool spot where, based on wins, they can be legit buyers at the TDL, or, really good sellers if things didn't shake out well. Sekou Doumbouya is the longest tenured Piston now, and is our youngest current player... Lol, but yeah Doumbouya, C Mason Plumlee, G/F Josh Jackson, PG Corey Joseph could all possibly be moved for later 1st round and 2nd round picks.

I think we could see something before draft with a player and some package of our 3 2nd rdp's to move up into the 1st.

Cunningham is easily the best player in the draft and would likely be the best player on our team.  We need him to be anyways because Grant is a solid #3 but not going to be a 1 or 2 on a real contender.  Cade is not quite the distributer that Luca is but partially could be due to the trash team he had in OSU.  

I have also heard the Pistons are high on Jalen Green, which I am too.  He fits our team better and we could likely get something in a trade down to get him.  I think Green could be a scoring leader in the NBA and would really help us on the wing.  He doesnt have the hype of Cade because he played in the G League but he was playing against fringe NBA talent. I still think Cade probably should just be the pick but not sure its a foregone conclusion. 

• Like 1

Cade is the best player, Green would have been my #1 pick outside of the #1 pick. You don't pass on a talent like Cade because you hope Killian Hayes pans out. You draft Cade and let the cream rise to the top. They both are big guards. Both can run the offense. Cade is a better shooter than Hayes. But I think they can play together. 

K. Hayes/F. Jackson

C. Cunningham/J. Jackson

S. Bey/H. Diallo

J. Grant/S. Doumbouya

I. Stewart/M. Plumlee

Let the young guys run wild. Use the 3 2nds to move up for the best player you can get. Let Grant playing for team USA advocate for the Pistons and maybe next season, when they have cap space, they can land a free agent or two that can put them over the top. 

24 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Cade is the best player, Green would have been my #1 pick outside of the #1 pick. You don't pass on a talent like Cade because you hope Killian Hayes pans out. You draft Cade and let the cream rise to the top. They both are big guards. Both can run the offense. Cade is a better shooter than Hayes. But I think they can play together. 

K. Hayes/F. Jackson

C. Cunningham/J. Jackson

S. Bey/H. Diallo

J. Grant/S. Doumbouya

I. Stewart/M. Plumlee

Let the young guys run wild. Use the 3 2nds to move up for the best player you can get. Let Grant playing for team USA advocate for the Pistons and maybe next season, when they have cap space, they can land a free agent or two that can put them over the top. 

I agree for the most part, just the fact that I think Green is probably just as good of a recruit as Cade with a different skill set.  Green has a better shot and is super athletic which will help him on both ends.  He will immediately be one of the three or four best athletes in the NBA when he hits the league.  He has scoring leader potential which would really fit well with this team.  Green was a higher ranked recruit out of HS by ESPN and if he played college ball the way he played in the G League (against better competition than NCAA by far), he would easily be in this discussion.  And seems to rightfully so be in the discussion.  I am guessing we take Cade, but Green just seems like a better NBA player all around.  

Also I don't see Cade as a real PG.  He is more of a point forward who can handle the ball at times.  He struggled with decision making and had pedestrian assist numbers for the ball being in his hands so much.  He could easily work with Hayes and given his shooting percentages could be similar scoring wise to Green, just not at quite the level, and likely not as good of a defender.