The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

3 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Red Wings retained 50% of Paniks contract. So... yeah idk, I'm not real sure about coughing up the 2nd rdp either. Just agree it's an over-pay cause Red Wings could of gone different routes and got a top 4 defensemen for this team cheap.(money and picks)

Nothing to get too upset about. Red Wings still far off. They need a lot of help, a top line LHD, at least a 2nd line center but imo a 1st line center to push Larkin down, and a 1st line winger capable of 25-30 goals a year, a player anyone Winger/defender/center capable of 80 points a season.

* Worthy to note there are some BIG names coming up as UFA's next off-season when Red Wings have even more cash coming off the books. I think it's something ridiculous like 40 + million.

What's your take on the draft this year?  Again I am not as much into hockey but from what I have seen, there are a couple forwards that might fall or Wallstedt the goalie.  I know people don't like taking goalies that high but we haven't had a great goalie since Hasek.  I have no clue on our second first round pick but if we do go G at 6, a forward at 23 would make sense.  Any high upside guys you see falling to that range?  Or anyone that if available at 6 that is realistic that you love? Also @diehardlionfan and @TL-TwoWinsAway can chime in with thoughts. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

What's your take on the draft this year?  Again I am not as much into hockey but from what I have seen, there are a couple forwards that might fall or the Wallstedt the goalie.  I know people don't like taking goalies that high but we haven't had a great goalie since Hasek.  I have no clue on our second first round pick but if we do go G at 6, a forward at 23 would make sense.  Any high upside guys you see falling to that range?  Or anyone that if available at 6 that is realistic that you love? Also @diehardlionfan and @TL-TwoWinsAway can chime in with thoughts. 

I'm not against Wallstedt at all, although I'm also not one to believe that you should avoid a specific position early in the draft. With how strong our scouting system is Sweden, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Yzerman grab Eklund or Edvinsson if available.

But, honestly, I just want talent. If Yzerman thinks Leddy is a quality veteran LD to pair with Hronek or Seider, and can potentially be flipped at the trade deadline: great. Works for me. When you've got this many picks, you can afford to make moves that provide both short- and long-term benefits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Red Wings retained 50% of Paniks contract. So... yeah idk, I'm not real sure about coughing up the 2nd rdp either. Just agree it's an over-pay cause Red Wings could of gone different routes and got a top 4 defensemen for this team cheap.(money and picks)

Nothing to get too upset about. Red Wings still far off. They need a lot of help, a top line LHD, at least a 2nd line center but imo a 1st line center to push Larkin down, and a 1st line winger capable of 25-30 goals a year, a player anyone Winger/defender/center capable of 80 points a season.

* Worthy to note there are some BIG names coming up as UFA's next off-season when Red Wings have even more cash coming off the books. I think it's something ridiculous like 40 + million.

Who knows what Steve Y is thinking but at face value it’s a bad trade. Leddy is a soft player whose numbers are heading in the wrong direction. Plans to flip him at the TDL don’t jive because it’s unlikely he nets a second.

Even as a mentor I think they could’ve found someone better.

It will be interesting to see what Steve Y does.

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

What's your take on the draft this year?  Again I am not as much into hockey but from what I have seen, there are a couple forwards that might fall or Wallstedt the goalie.  I know people don't like taking goalies that high but we haven't had a great goalie since Hasek.  I have no clue on our second first round pick but if we do go G at 6, a forward at 23 would make sense.  Any high upside guys you see falling to that range?  Or anyone that if available at 6 that is realistic that you love? Also @diehardlionfan and @TL-TwoWinsAway can chime in with thoughts. 

There are two excellent goalies worth first round picks. People always moan about taking a goalie in the first but it certainly paid dividends for the Stanley Cup finalists as they both had first round goalies.

If he’s available they should run to the podium at 6 to pick Dylan Guenther who is my favourite goal scorer in this draft. The Wings should have either Guenther, McTavish or  Eklund. I’m least positive about Eklund.

The later pick if he falls a bit Matthew Coronato, or Cossa if he falls although I suspect Edmonton will draft him if available.

It really depends who they take at 6 but with the latter pick there’s a number of prospects that can score but I haven’t seen enough of them this past year to really offer a solid opinion.

Im a huge believer in skating ability, solid centre of gravity and the ability to anchor. Many of the later forwards are hard to scout not having seen them. Most are physically immature and haven’t reached what will eventually be playing weight. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I didn't mind the Tigers pick, especially with Leiter off the board.  Marcelo Mayer would have been nice but we have zero pitching with MLB potential in the minors now so it was good to restock.  Jobe will be MLB ready between when Turnbull and SKubal/Mize need contracts so it will help us keep a solid rotation for a long while.  Not to mention Madden in the supplemental 1st was a steal as he was a top 10 prospect on many lists and Pacheco was a top 20 prospect on many lists so we still have a high upside SS in the early rounds.

I sort of hope the Pistons move down one spot.  I am really high on Jalen Green and if he played college ball and got the hype, there would be more talk of him being the #1 pick.  A super athletic scoring wing is what we need and I think Cade is a little overrated.  Cade definitely has a higher floor but I think Green has a higher ceiling so if we can drop down to #2 and add some future draft capital, I'd be all for it.  I wouldnt move any further than 2 though because we need a star and those two are both going to be stars. 

I am not as much up on the NHL but from all I have read its a solid move. I know higher picks are good for rebuilds but we still have two first round picks and 2 second round picks and 2 third round picks this year, as well as an additional 2nd next year. You can only have so many in the farm system at a time so adding a solid vet to help Seider develop is worth it IMO.  

What I don’t like about the Tigers pick is the eventual Tommy John surgery. MLB has a terrible success rate with high school pitchers that throw hard.

What I don’t like about the trade is the cost to acquire a player whose numbers are declining. He could’ve done much better I believe. I feel both Yzerman and Holland in Edmonton jumped the gun and paid to much. 

No such thing as to many picks. If he was worried about slots on the farm, package picks and move up or package pucks and go get a better LD.

• Like 1

Well, we can cross G off the list at 6. Red Wings acquired Alex Nedeljkovic for Bernier and a 3rd.

Fantastic deal, considering Bernier wasn't likely in our long-term plans. Now we've got a GOTF in Nedeljkovic and Greiss to back him.

With Stecher remaining in Detroit, and if names like Seider and Raymond can play at the NHL level, we could make a push before too long.

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Well, we can cross G off the list at 6. Red Wings acquired Alex Nedeljkovic for Bernier and a 3rd.

Fantastic deal, considering Bernier wasn't likely in our long-term plans. Now we've got a GOTF in Nedeljkovic and Greiss to back him.

With Stecher remaining in Detroit, and if names like Seider and Raymond can play at the NHL level, we could make a push before too long.

Saw this pop on my phone a little while ago.  Nice get by Stevie Y.  ROY candidate with upside and only 25 is a solid addition to the team.  I don't know enough about hockey to know if his numbers are sustainable or not but he had a pretty decent sample size last year.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Saw this pop on my phone a little while ago.  Nice get by Stevie Y.  ROY candidate with upside and only 25 is a solid addition to the team.  I don't know enough about hockey to know if his numbers are sustainable or not but he had a pretty decent sample size last year.  

Yep. Young, quality player with clear upside and just signed a two year extension at $3m per. He has a chance to solidify the G position for the foreseeable future.

With Leddy and Nedeljkovic on board, and Stecher remaining, we're pretty much a LHD away from finishing up the defense for now. I could see a DDK-Hronek 1D pairing, a Leddy-Seider 2D and a (____)-Stecher 3D. (I'd even re-sign Staal to a 1 year deal and bring that Staal-Stecher pairing back. They were more than solid last year.)

On offense, we've got a few more holes to fill, but a handful of young guys that could potentially fill them. Larkin, Vrana, Fabbri, Bertuzzi, Zadina, Erne, Rasmussen (just re-signed) and probably Glendening are all locks, which leaves four spots for the starting lines. I'd love to see Smith stick around in the NHL, and there are a few other contracts that'll likely remain.

It's definitely taking shape.

10 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yep. Young, quality player with clear upside and just signed a two year extension at $3m per. He has a chance to solidify the G position for the foreseeable future.

With Leddy and Nedeljkovic on board, and Stecher remaining, we're pretty much a LHD away from finishing up the defense for now. I could see a DDK-Hronek 1D pairing, a Leddy-Seider 2D and a (____)-Stecher 3D. (I'd even re-sign Staal to a 1 year deal and bring that Staal-Stecher pairing back. They were more than solid last year.)

On offense, we've got a few more holes to fill, but a handful of young guys that could potentially fill them. Larkin, Vrana, Fabbri, Bertuzzi, Zadina, Erne, Rasmussen (just re-signed) and probably Glendening are all locks, which leaves four spots for the starting lines. I'd love to see Smith stick around in the NHL, and there are a few other contracts that'll likely remain.

It's definitely taking shape.

Whats the timeline to see picks in the NHL typically?  I know Lafreniere played most of the season last year but wasn't a show stopper.  Byfeild played like 5 games.  When do we expect Raymond to be NHL ready?  Or if we grab a forward this year what is the expectation for him?  

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Whats the timeline to see picks in the NHL typically?  I know Lafreniere played most of the season last year but wasn't a show stopper.  Byfeild played like 5 games.  When do we expect Raymond to be NHL ready?  Or if we grab a forward this year what is the expectation for him?  

Some top rookies do well while others struggle. (Lafreniere's struggles were definitely a surprise.) I think Raymond could see meaningful minutes in 2-3 years. If he shows well in GR, that could be accelerated quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Stevie Y with a brilliant trade up. Cossa is a great prospect. Coachable, technically sound, handles adversity, works hard.

He will surprise everyone how quickly he’s the wings number 1 goalie.

I was hoping Edmonton would get him at 20.

Fantastic to hear. The fact that Yzerman moved up for him (while still keeping our own 2nd round pick) is telling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Fantastic to hear. The fact that Yzerman moved up for him (while still keeping our own 2nd round pick) is telling.

I’m upset.🤠 I mentioned him earlier as player for Detroit’s second pick. I absolutely think he has the potential to be great.

Its telling Stevie Y passed on the Swedish goaltender in favour of Cossa.

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 1