The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

If this isn't the Lions year to win the division and make a playoff push then idk when we will. Stafford is coming off his 2nd best season (wasn't quite as good as 2011) and has been developing a great connection with his receivers, so I'm only expecting that to get better. Our running game has nowhere to go but up (we ranked 32nd) especially with LeGarrette Blount in the backfield and our defense has improved in terms of overall talent with the additions of Deshawn Shead, Sylvester Williams, Christian Jones, and Devon Kennard. I really liked our free agency and our draft as well. Anything less than a playoff appearance and at least 1 playoff win seems like a disappointing season to me. I'm very high on this team for the 2018 season.

3 hours ago, Stafford4Pres said:

If this isn't the Lions year to win the division and make a playoff push then idk when we will. Stafford is coming off his 2nd best season (wasn't quite as good as 2011) and has been developing a great connection with his receivers, so I'm only expecting that to get better. Our running game has nowhere to go but up (we ranked 32nd) especially with LeGarrette Blount in the backfield and our defense has improved in terms of overall talent with the additions of Deshawn Shead, Sylvester Williams, Christian Jones, and Devon Kennard. I really liked our free agency and our draft as well. Anything less than a playoff appearance and at least 1 playoff win seems like a disappointing season to me. I'm very high on this team for the 2018 season.

I have extremely low expectations of our defense for this upcoming year. I think our secondary is great, but our front 7 doesn't have a single stud imo. It will making stopping the run and pressuring the QB difficult. We also lost one of the best defensive coordinators in the game. It remains to bee seen how the new defensive coaching staff will do, but Austin will be missed.

My expectations are competing for a wild card spot and not much else.

Edited by Nnivolcm

16 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I have extremely low expectations of our defense for this upcoming year. I think our secondary is great, but our front 7 doesn't have a single stud imo. It will making stopping the run and pressuring the QB difficult. We also lost one of the best defensive coordinators in the game. It remains to bee seen how the new defensive coaching staff will do, but Austin will be missed.

I’m having difficulty with the entire NE approach. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, Nnivolcm said:

I share the same concerns but the fact that we ranked 27th in total yardage allowed on defense and 21 in points per game allowed, is a good indication that there is room for improvement and there's a a good chance tht we improve on that. We added Deshawn Shead who is a run topping machine at the cornerback position. We added Sylvester Williams who is a solid Defensive Tackle (and former 1st round pick) and we added 2 linebackers in Kennard and Jones who are, in my opinion an upgrade from What we had last year. 

I suppose i'm higher on the Lions Defense than most but it's realistic that we can improve on 27th in yards allowed and 21st in points allowed

3 hours ago, Stafford4Pres said:

I share the same concerns but the fact that we ranked 27th in total yardage allowed on defense and 21 in points per game allowed, is a good indication that there is room for improvement and there's a a good chance tht we improve on that. We added Deshawn Shead who is a run topping machine at the cornerback position. We added Sylvester Williams who is a solid Defensive Tackle (and former 1st round pick) and we added 2 linebackers in Kennard and Jones who are, in my opinion an upgrade from What we had last year. 

I suppose i'm higher on the Lions Defense than most but it's realistic that we can improve on 27th in yards allowed and 21st in points allowed

I don't want to come off as rude, but we pretty much disagree with each other 100%. I don't think Shead will be on the field enough to be a "run stopping machine" and even the best tackling CBs shouldn't be called that imo. If Sylv Williams was such a solid DT, he shouldn't be on his 3rd team in 3 years. I don't care if he was a 1st round pick, he hasn't lived up to his draft selection. I honestly don't know much about Kennard and Jones. They seem like fringe starters to me, which is about a wash with what we had last year. I do expect Jared Davis to improve, but without play makers in front of him we probably won't see it as much on the field. 

Our best defensive lineman last year was Ngata imo. There was a clear drop in play after he got hurt last year. I don't think we replaced him with anyone near as good as he was. Throw in losing who I think is a very good DC for an unknown, and I think we can do worse than last year. We also played a Packer team with a tackling dummy playing QB twice last year. I don't expect that kind of competition again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I don't want to come off as rude, but we pretty much disagree with each other 100%. I don't think Shead will be on the field enough to be a "run stopping machine" and even the best tackling CBs shouldn't be called that imo. If Sylv Williams was such a solid DT, he shouldn't be on his 3rd team in 3 years. I don't care if he was a 1st round pick, he hasn't lived up to his draft selection. I honestly don't know much about Kennard and Jones. They seem like fringe starters to me, which is about a wash with what we had last year. I do expect Jared Davis to improve, but without play makers in front of him we probably won't see it as much on the field. 

Our best defensive lineman last year was Ngata imo. There was a clear drop in play after he got hurt last year. I don't think we replaced him with anyone near as good as he was. Throw in losing who I think is a very good DC for an unknown, and I think we can do worse than last year. We also played a Packer team with a tackling dummy playing QB twice last year. I don't expect that kind of competition again.

My thoughts on the coaching change differ from yours.  We do have an unknown at DC but we also have a defensive minded HC for the first time in a while who was a top DC himself.  He was known for getting the most out of guys that fit the system so I am hoping that is how they selected players to sign this offseason.  I am not overly excited about our D, but I am more optimistic than you seem to be. 

1 hour ago, davisblack said:

I don't know too much about him, what don't you like?

Well i really was hoping that Wings would select new #1 defenceman. I mean Larkin, AA, Mantha is good enough core for offence, but there is no one for defence. And after all, Zadina is winger and we really need good center and D. He propably is really good pick, i just personally dont like him. I hope he proves me wrong. There were a lot of odd picks, so i am not complaining that much.

And #30 Joe Veleno. Ok, i can live with these picks. Two really good offensive prospects. I hope Wings use next two (33, 36) picks to defencemen.

After all, those two were quite a steals so i really cant complain that much.

And if my post doesnt make any sense i apologize, its midsummers festival so we are drunk for four days.

Edited by teude

1 hour ago, teude said:

Well i really was hoping that Wings would select new #1 defenceman. I mean Larkin, AA, Mantha is good enough core for offence, but there is no one for defence. And after all, Zadina is winger and we really need good center and D. He propably is really good pick, i just personally dont like him. I hope he proves me wrong. There were a lot of odd picks, so i am not complaining that much.

And #30 Joe Veleno. Ok, i can live with these picks. Two really good offensive prospects. I hope Wings use next two (33, 36) picks to defencemen.

And if my post doesnt make any sense i apologize, its midsummers festival so we are drunk for four days.

You're good, thanks for the insight.

Yeah it seems like we got quite the steal in Veleno. 

7 hours ago, teude said:

Zadina slipped in the draft. He was expected to go higher.

Hes a potential top line winger that has a terrific shot and scores goals. 

I can understand why you want a defenceman but Zadina was the right pick.

The last thing you want the Wings doing is drafting for need. If the player fits a need that’s great but the Wings need help everywhere so targeting a position isn’t wise.

The Wings had a great first round.

Really happy after the draft (now sober :D ), especially four first picks. Yes, Zadina was no brainer, Veleno also since he was projected to go somewhere around 15 spot. Berggren was BPA with Noel and its never bad to pick BPA. McIsaac is lefty, so thats a bit of a minus, but he was Zadinas teammate and has good size.

Fun fact, Alec Regulas dad is Detroit Lions tentist.

• 3 weeks later...

Ex-Lion Brandon Pettigrew arrested, accused of punching police officer

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Pettigrew had a confrontation with a limousine driver when he refused to pay the $97 fare at 3 a.m. today. The driver called police, who found Pettigrew visibly intoxicated. When they asked him his name, he refused to give it, argued with officers and then punched an officer three times in the chest, according to the report.