The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

11 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Do you think the Lions could have been in that position if a few of the "what if" moves had been made?

- Drafting Donald over Ebron

- Re-signing Suh (still at $100M), paired with Donald

- TJ Watt instead of Jarrad Davis

- Keeping Caldwell at HC

I agree with @Sllim Pickens, we weren't that far off. Fixing the mistakes above you lined out alone probably would have at least made us contenders. 

9 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I agree with @Sllim Pickens, we weren't that far off. Fixing the mistakes above you lined out alone probably would have at least made us contenders. 

We still struggled in the secondary for quite a while, run game was a challenge. We had issues with Stafford forcing a lot of balls to Calvin. Suh, Donald and Watt would have the makings of an elite level D. It's tough to say

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

We still struggled in the secondary for quite a while, run game was a challenge. We had issues with Stafford forcing a lot of balls to Calvin. Suh, Donald and Watt would have the makings of an elite level D. It's tough to say

IIRC in 2014 we had a top 3 ranked scoring defense before Suh left in FA. We also had some very good defensive players at all levels (Suh at DL, Levy at LB, and Slay and Quin in secondary). If we followed that up with drafting players like Donald and Watt, our defense would have had every opportunity to be elite. You said we struggled in the secondary, but nothing makes a secondary look better than an elite pass rush. If we had Suh, Donald, and Watt I can't imagine a more elite pass rush on paper. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

IIRC in 2014 we had a top 3 ranked scoring defense before Suh left in FA. We also had some very good defensive players at all levels (Suh at DL, Levy at LB, and Slay and Quin in secondary). If we followed that up with drafting players like Donald and Watt, our defense would have had every opportunity to be elite. You said we struggled in the secondary, but nothing makes a secondary look better than an elite pass rush. If we had Suh, Donald, and Watt I can't imagine a more elite pass rush on paper. 

I don’t even think we needed the HRs of drafting Watt and Donald.  Those two alone with Slay and Suh would have been dominant.  

If Ziggy Ansah, Ebron, Davis, Tabor, Van Noy, Laken Tomlinson, Ameer Abdullah, etc could have just been decent starters, we would have been contenders.  If we hit home runs on all of them we would have been dominant. 

On 2/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, Karnage84 said:

Kind of crazy on what happened with Harbaugh and the Vikings. 

Wonder what happened over the course of a 9 hour interview to get them to decide "he's not our guy". 

I don’t know. It may be something as simple his coaching philosophy. It may not align with the culture in Minny. 

On 2/3/2022 at 2:17 PM, Karnage84 said:

Kind of crazy on what happened with Harbaugh and the Vikings. 

Wonder what happened over the course of a 9 hour interview to get them to decide "he's not our guy". 

Alot of times, it about fit for the team, and fits for the coach. Maybe Harbaugh didn't like the situation. Maybe the team didn't like his old school play call. Isn't that why they fired Zimmer in the first place? Zimmer and Harbaugh have similar styles. Harbaugh just takes more chances. Who knows. I just don't want Minnesota to poach Pleasant from us. 

16 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Alot of times, it about fit for the team, and fits for the coach. Maybe Harbaugh didn't like the situation. Maybe the team didn't like his old school play call. Isn't that why they fired Zimmer in the first place? Zimmer and Harbaugh have similar styles. Harbaugh just takes more chances. Who knows. I just don't want Minnesota to poach Pleasant from us. 

It seems like Harbaugh walked in thinking the job was his and that the Vikings weren't impressed with his approach. Also possible that he was only brought in as a favour to the new GM who had ties with Harbaugh from SF. Maybe after 9 hours they were just like "we can't work with this guy". 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It seems like Harbaugh walked in thinking the job was his and that the Vikings weren't impressed with his approach. Also possible that he was only brought in as a favour to the new GM who had ties with Harbaugh from SF. Maybe after 9 hours they were just like "we can't work with this guy". 

Could be. We'll never know. I think alot more goes into these interviews than just pleasantries. Which is why some guys interview very well and some not so much. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in one of the interviews though. 

Ed Donatell has reportedly emerged as the favorite in the Vikings' defensive coordinator search. The 65-year-old has spent more than three decades in the NFL as a DC and defensive backs coach. He's been with Vic Fangio for the past 11 years.

Per Jeremy Fowler ESPN via twitter. I hope it's true. Pleasant needs to stay in Detroit. 

Edited by Louis Friend

19 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Per Jeremy Fowler ESPN via twitter. I hope it's true. Pleasant needs to stay in Detroit. 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/2/9/22926393/detroit-lions-aubrey-pleasant-interviews-saints-defensive-coordinator-job

Now we have to worry about New Orleans. Sounds like we wont have Pleasant long either way unless AG gets an early HC position next year and we promote him.