The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

On 7/22/2022 at 4:01 AM, nagahide13 said:

I would love Matthew Tkachuck in Detroit. I think we have the right packages and he'd be a perfect fit both short and long term. If he'd sign long term, I'd love it if El Capitan took a long hard look.

Honest question, can a player for a Canadian NHL team be unvaccinated? No reason.

I think it was a good move to stay away from Tkachuk. Invisible in tough playoff games (so was Gaudrea).

Florida gave up way to much.

5 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I wouldn't have wanted to match that. I was thinking Bert + a prospect + a 1st.

Florida gave up a lot but it was a lot that they likely would have had for only another year.  So getting a similar player to Huberdeau who is 5 years younger and locking him up long term isn't crazy to me.  They lost a pick in 2025 but getting the extension means that pick likely won't be super high.   I think a package like the one you suggested is similar, obviously not in top end talent but in potential for a team rebuilding given the players would be more long term and the pick likely higher. 

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Florida gave up a lot but it was a lot that they likely would have had for only another year.  So getting a similar player to Huberdeau who is 5 years younger and locking him up long term isn't crazy to me.  They lost a pick in 2025 but getting the extension means that pick likely won't be super high.   I think a package like the one you suggested is similar, obviously not in top end talent but in potential for a team rebuilding given the players would be more long term and the pick likely higher. 

Losing Weegar really hurts Florida. They really need to find a defenceman of his caliber.

I think regular season Tkachuk is a good hockey player, for the most part. It’s just he disappears when matched against a physical player ( Kane owned him) or he gets challenged for some of the cheap play he exhibits.

I don’t believe he’s Yzerman’s type of player.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Al Avila absolutely stinks.

He has been absolutely awful with trades and timing of trades.  He moved JV when he was at his lowest and just starting to turn it around.  He waited 5 years too long to move Fulmer when we knew he would need a contract before we were competitive.  he waited on Boyd until he was worthless.  Sent JD Martinez away for scraps.  And never seems to find a worthwhile prospect in these trades.  

That being said, I am not sold that this year is all his fault, or that overall he is as bad as Tiger fans make him out to be.  His drafting has been pretty decent, even finding some mid/later round gems like Skubal, Kreidler, Briske etc.  He had 5 players in the top 100 prospects to start the year and that was after graduating 3 of them to the majors last year.  However, this year has been historically bad for the whole team.  This was the first year Illitch allowed him to spend money, and he made some solid signings on paper.  E-Rod was a good value on a short term deal to help the young staff we had.  Illitch wouldn't pay Correa long term so we ended up with Baez who was a good signing for the price and length. The trade for Meadows was great on paper, and still may not be awful other than Paredes had a monster couple of games this year.  But the whole team is hitting so far below their career averages, the whole pitching staff is on the IL other than Skubal. The prized prospects got hurt right before the seaosn killing momentum or hit like crap and they keep Tork up too long so now he is in his head.  Seeing a bunch of career .260-.290 hitters with average power hit a collective .205 with no power is unheard of.  Seeing Tork hit for no power will also not getting on base is insane. This team on paper was a pretty good team that should have been battling for a wild card spot depending on how the rookies adapted.  The failures of this team at the plate should fall on Hinch more than Avila.  He built a solid team that should have had better results. 

Avila has definitely worn out his welcome here with the bad trades and no results but Hinch should be facing more heat and Illitch should as well since he has prevented spending at all until this year and then still greatly restricted it. I hope he is fired soon, but still stand by the fact he wasn't that bad other than a few trades.  

Avila fired. He was truly terrible at his job. He got jobbed in every trade he made (even Paredes for Meadows, which I was high on.) He got jobbed even worse with the trades he didn't make.

One National League exec told Fenech that the Tigers’ demands were “borderline comical,” and an AL executive describing Detroit’s front office as “impossible to deal with.”

Great.

I understand that one might blame Hinch more for our current situation, but I don't. Avila hired Hinch, our scouting department and put our developmental system in place. Everything has been bad, and he's at the top of the pyramid of bad.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Avila fired. He was truly terrible at his job. He got jobbed in every trade he made (even Paredes for Meadows, which I was high on.) He got jobbed even worse with the trades he didn't make.

Great.

I understand that one might blame Hinch more for our current situation, but I don't. Avila hired Hinch, our scouting department and put our developmental system in place. Everything has been bad, and he's at the top of the pyramid of bad.

I get the trades were bad, and it was his biggest weakness.  Especially the ones he didnt make like Fulmer three years ago, Boyd, and others.   I get Avila was bad, and deserved to get fired, but he wasn't as bad as you or others seem to think.   This team still has a young core between the pitchers, Tork, Greene, and Jung to be a productive team soon.  Next year is a reset and if Meadows returns to close to his prior form and Baez remembers how to hit like he did the rest of his career, we will be fine.  I believe those things can happen if we move on from Hinch.  Having one or two players struggle is an individual thing.  Having the whole team hit .050 below their career averages all year and not taking walks is a coaching issue.  And I get Avila hired Hinch so thats on him too and furthers the case to be fired.  

I am glad Avila is gone, mainly for the trading issue going forward.  But I still think we win a lot of games the next couple of years with the primary core that he built. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I was gonna go into the Cardinals forum to see what they think about Kyler. Realized that the Arizona contingent of this site is non-existent. Not even a post in 2022. Jeeeez.

Kyler's behavior seems very worrisome. Maybe that's why nobody is there.

What did Kyler do now?

44 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

What did Kyler do now?

I'm honestly not positive that he did anything, so take this with a grain of salt. But in their preseason game yesterday Kyler had the headset on and was calling plays for a couple of series. He went 3 and out twice and apparently got into a minor disagreement about playcalling (his own).

https://arizonasports.com/story/3252463/cardinals-kliff-kingsbury-impressed-with-kyler-murrays-play-calling/

On the heels of his contract situation, (in which he couldn't be bothered to read his own contract before signing it), and constantly calling the Cardinals out in the media, I would not be happy with him as my QB. Why doesn't he have to watch film? Why is he donning a headset and calling plays? Why is our head coach pretending like he's all proud of him for going 3 and out a couple of times?

He seems like a child that's being coddled like a special little child. It's worrisome.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 2:32 PM, nagahide13 said:

I'm honestly not positive that he did anything, so take this with a grain of salt. But in their preseason game yesterday Kyler had the headset on and was calling plays for a couple of series. He went 3 and out twice and apparently got into a minor disagreement about playcalling (his own).

https://arizonasports.com/story/3252463/cardinals-kliff-kingsbury-impressed-with-kyler-murrays-play-calling/

On the heels of his contract situation, (in which he couldn't be bothered to read his own contract before signing it), and constantly calling the Cardinals out in the media, I would not be happy with him as my QB. Why doesn't he have to watch film? Why is he donning a headset and calling plays? Why is our head coach pretending like he's all proud of him for going 3 and out a couple of times?

He seems like a child that's being coddled like a special little child. It's worrisome.

Aren't the Cardinals in the in season hard knocks team this season? Will be interesting to watch. 

• Like 1