The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

Congrats on the big win Thursday! I've lived in Michigan most of my life. During the 70's and 80's the Lions were better than the Packers. Those were tough years since I was one of two Packer fans in school. I still don't 'hate' the Lions. The last 20 years I've pitied them, the city of Detroit and their fan base.

It looks like you have legitimate team this year. I won't root for you when you play the Packers, obviously, but will not root against you in the other 15 games. If the Packers can't win it, I'd be happy for the city and fans is you actually got to a Super Bowl. 

Full disclosure, I'm also a Cubs fan I know what that was like until they finally broke through. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Congrats on the big win Thursday! I've lived in Michigan most of my life. During the 70's and 80's the Lions were better than the Packers. Those were tough years since I was one of two Packer fans in school. I still don't 'hate' the Lions. The last 20 years I've pitied them, the city of Detroit and their fan base.

It looks like you have legitimate team this year. I won't root for you when you play the Packers, obviously, but will not root against you in the other 15 games. If the Packers can't win it, I'd be happy for the city and fans is you actually got to a Super Bowl. 

Full disclosure, I'm also a Cubs fan I know what that was like until they finally broke through. 

Thanks. Good luck to y’all this year. The thing I’m most interested this opening weekend (outside of Det vs kc) is what Jordan Love is going to do? Do you think you have another stud or are you unsure at this point?

Edited by LionArkie

44 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Thanks. Good luck to y’all this year. The thing I’m most interested this opening weekend (outside of Det vs kc) is what Jordan Love is going to do? Do you think you have another stud or are you unsure at this point?

He has absolutely looked the part in every way in preseason. Games count now and I expect he will deliver. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If you cannot end in a tie, just take care of the Vikings and Bears. I’m interested in seeing Jordan Love and what he can do. Good luck this season, just not against Detroit. 😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

In odd things I didn't think I would see this year, Jahlani Tavai is a starting LB for the Patriots and has a PFF grade of 80.5.  Didn't realize he was still in the league.  

I'm of the firm belief you have to suck everywhere else in order to succeed in NE.

Brady is the exception and not the rule.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well as more and more of this UM spying the other opponents games is unfolding it is very disheartening.  The program honestly probably could have gotten to the level they are without this level of scheming.

All teams do some scouting of opponents.  I would say all teams have people record future opponents.  I highly doubt it is the level that is unfolding for Michigan.

I mean when I coached in California we did scouting on the 7-10 year olds and got film in for kids in class room to learn how to develop those skills.

So it happens at early age and through college.  However, to the level of what is being described is excessive and frankly amateur hour having individual on staff.

I am not sure the right answer and the NCAA moves so slowly but I think they need to have this figured out before playoffs.

I would much rather them keep them out of playoffs versus doing a vacate situation after the fact.  It would be unfair to other teams that could have made the playoffs if they indeed determine to vacate anything after the fact.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Well as more and more of this UM spying the other opponents games is unfolding it is very disheartening.  The program honestly probably could have gotten to the level they are without this level of scheming.

All teams do some scouting of opponents.  I would say all teams have people record future opponents.  I highly doubt it is the level that is unfolding for Michigan.

I mean when I coached in California we did scouting on the 7-10 year olds and got film in for kids in class room to learn how to develop those skills.

So it happens at early age and through college.  However, to the level of what is being described is excessive and frankly amateur hour having individual on staff.

I am not sure the right answer and the NCAA moves so slowly but I think they need to have this figured out before playoffs.

I would much rather them keep them out of playoffs versus doing a vacate situation after the fact.  It would be unfair to other teams that could have made the playoffs if they indeed determine to vacate anything after the fact.

When I first heard it I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.  Looking deeper and hearing more the levels they went to, that changes things. 

I know many hate Valenti, but he had some solid stats that are eye opening.  Against Big 10 opponents the last three years, UM is 17-5-2 against the spread.  Prior to that, they were around .500 against the spread in conference.  Similarly, Georgia, Alabama, OSU etc are all right around .500 against the spread, which is the intent and what Vegas gets paid to do.  So outpacing the spread that significantly shows a pretty healthy advantage. 

When you add that in the second half, UM has been dominant on D makes sense since they are able to decipher the various signals (assuming teams change them up a little or rotate) and then absolutely shut teams down.  Then when they play out of conference teams like TCU last year who they can't send Stallion to prior to playing them, they get beat when they are heavy favorites.  

The having tickets to 30+ games right behind the benches and both teams at OSU vs PSU last week and the seats were empty definitely shows they know there was advantage and what they were doing was illegal.  The timing makes sense given Harbaugh was on the verge of being run out of town a few years ago and now he is one of the best coaches in the country all of a sudden is definitely suspicious.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

When I first heard it I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.  Looking deeper and hearing more the levels they went to, that changes things. 

I know many hate Valenti, but he had some solid stats that are eye opening.  Against Big 10 opponents the last three years, UM is 17-5-2 against the spread.  Prior to that, they were around .500 against the spread in conference.  Similarly, Georgia, Alabama, OSU etc are all right around .500 against the spread, which is the intent and what Vegas gets paid to do.  So outpacing the spread that significantly shows a pretty healthy advantage. 

When you add that in the second half, UM has been dominant on D makes sense since they are able to decipher the various signals (assuming teams change them up a little or rotate) and then absolutely shut teams down.  Then when they play out of conference teams like TCU last year who they can't send Stallion to prior to playing them, they get beat when they are heavy favorites.  

The having tickets to 30+ games right behind the benches and both teams at OSU vs PSU last week and the seats were empty definitely shows they know there was advantage and what they were doing was illegal.  The timing makes sense given Harbaugh was on the verge of being run out of town a few years ago and now he is one of the best coaches in the country all of a sudden is definitely suspicious.  

There is a good clip in the college thread in news that shows the UM players watching the OSU sidelines as plays coming in.  The entire team starts to gesture certain things and the defense adjusts.  You can tell the players are in on it too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Far from a UM guy but I'm wondering if they thought they were being cheeky with the rules and taking advantage of what may have been perceived as a loophole due to the NCAA's rules/wordings. 

I just can't imagine that you're going to buy THAT many tickets to games under your own name. They knew what they were doing was wrong but maybe didn't expect it to be "illegal" as it wasn't a direct violation of rules but more so in the 'spirit' of the rules.