The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

Hopefully the Red Wings will be smart, move on from Holland and bring in Steve Yzerman next year. He stepped down as Lighting GM a few days ago now and isn't expected to resign and told his players he's; " Going home. "

I think he literally means he's going home for a while to be around his wife/kids. He has a daughter in college at Michigan. I just really hope it's not a health related decision and was all personal preference on Yzermans part. 

Yzerman has had a great track record of drafting with the Lighting and more impressive, he's been VERY good in trades/dealing in that same time. At this point, to move on from Holland, Yzerman or someone of that caliber are the only credible options as replacements. 

* Oh, Lions are playing S.F. too, expect a full blown thrashing again. I'm not even bothering to watch. *

Edited by SimbaWho

4 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Hopefully the Red Wings will be smart, move on from Holland and bring in Steve Yzerman next year. He stepped down as Lighting GM a few days ago now and isn't expected to resign and told his players he's; " Going home. "

I think he literally means he's going home for a while to be around his wife/kids. He has a daughter in college at Michigan. I just really hope it's not a health related decision and was all personal preference on Yzermans part. 

Yzerman has had a great track record of drafting with the Lighting and more impressive, he's been VERY good in trades/dealing in that same time. At this point, to move on from Holland, Yzerman or someone of that caliber are the only credible options as replacements. 

* Oh, Lions are playing S.F. too, expect a full blown thrashing again. I'm not even bothering to watch. *

Never say never but based on media reports it appears he wants to spend this time with his family. He’s tired of the travel and being away.

GM’s get to much credit/abuse for trades etc. They make the final decision but most of it is the result of hard work on the part of scouts. Yzerman did a terrific job but there’s no guarantee he can replicate the skill and knowledge of Tampa’s scouting and player development personnel. That’s not a knock on Yzerman he still has to manage input from people that are part of the process.

Ya, the Lions are going to lose tomorrow. Eastern teams travelling West don’t fair well. If nothing else we shall see what the team is made of.

Jimmy Butler is available. Has requested trades to the NY teams and someone else forget who.

Still... Should Pistons reach out? It'd make trading for Blake Griffin a lot more sensible pairing those two together. Don't know what they'd have to do to get it done but financially they're limited... 

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Jimmy Butler is available. Has requested trades to the NY teams and someone else forget who.

Still... Should Pistons reach out? It'd make trading for Blake Griffin a lot more sensible pairing those two together. Don't know what they'd have to do to get it done but financially they're limited... 

If he would play in Detroit, why not.  I doubt we have anything they would want that we could afford to lose.  Blake, Drummond and Butler would be a solid group.  Might get us into the top 6 in the East.  I don't think we win anything with this core anyways so might as well take a shot. However, there likely is nothing we could offer to even come close to what the NY teams could offer.

Stole this from someone else on a different site but still a good idea imo.

- Pistons receive SG/SF Jimmy Butler and C Kosta Koufos

- Kings receive C Andre Drummond and PG Ish Smith

- T’Wolves receive PF Zach Randolph, SG Buddy Hield, Pistons 1st and 2nd rdp’s in 2019.

Keeps the T'wolves semi competitive with picks, Kings get a major player to pair with Bagley down low and move expirings for a guy they likely can't sign in the open market if given the chance and Pistons well they get Jimmy and a rotational C. 

Dont' mind giving up the picks/Drummond for the short or long term. Even if Jimmy doesn't resign, or opts out right away, it free's up money to go out an sign someone. 

EDIT*

The list of teams that have expressed interest in dealing for Butler includes the Brooklyn Nets and Los Angeles Clippers — a pair of teams Butler likes — as well as the Pistons, Rockets, Heat, Sixers, Blazers and Kings, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Edited by SimbaWho

16 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Stole this from someone else on a different site but still a good idea imo.

Keeps the T'wolves semi competitive with picks, Kings get a major player to pair with Bagley down low and move expirings for a guy they likely can't sign in the open market if given the chance and Pistons well they get Jimmy and a rotational C. 

Dont' mind giving up the picks/Drummond for the short or long term. Even if Jimmy doesn't resign, or opts out right away, it free's up money to go out an sign someone. 

EDIT*

Why in the world would u be ok with trading Drummond and our 1st round pick for possibly a year of Jimmy Butler. How does that make any sense???

Edited by detroitlions72003

1 hour ago, detroitlions72003 said:

Why in the world would u be ok with trading Drummond and our 1st round pick for possibly a year of Jimmy Butler. How does that make any sense???

I agree with this.  There is no point in trading for Jimmy if it involves moving Drummond or Blake.  I like Butler, but he isn't a player who will carry a team to a championship.  He would be a solid piece in our big 3 but without any of them we are the same 8 seed we are now.

It'd free up 25 plus million in a year is why I would do it.

You just said the paragraph before this core isn't winning anything. If you could dump Drummond's money plus Jackson's in another year and essentially start a rebuild with lots of money why wouldn't you do it?

Also you're giving Drummond way too much credit. Jimmy Butler makes DET much better with him on the team over Drummond alone. Jimmy Butler is prolly a top 10 player and definitely a top 5 two way player. Drummond is lucky to top the best 30 players in the league. Bos/Tor/Phi/Was MIGHT be the only teams in the east better than the Pistons with Butler over Drummond. 

T'wolves with Jimmy Butler where a top 4 team in the west, without him they barely tread enough water to make the playoffs. 

Edited by SimbaWho

37 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

It'd free up 25 plus million in a year is why I would do it.

You just said the paragraph before this core isn't winning anything. If you could dump Drummond's money plus Jackson's in another year and essentially start a rebuild with lots of money why wouldn't you do it?

Also you're giving Drummond way too much credit. Jimmy Butler makes DET much better with him on the team over Drummond alone. Jimmy Butler is prolly a top 10 player and definitely a top 5 two way player. Drummond is lucky to top the best 30 players in the league. Bos/Tor/Phi/Was MIGHT be the only teams in the east better than the Pistons with Butler over Drummond. 

T'wolves with Jimmy Butler where a top 4 team in the west, without him they barely tread enough water to make the playoffs. 

Money does us no good.  When is the last time we signed a big name free agent?  Its hard enough keeping our own let alone signing a couple.   We need draft picks and/or young talent.  I don't think moving Drummond and picks for a 1 year rental does anything for this team in the long run. 

As for Drummond, you don't give him enough credit/give Butler too much.  I would say Butler is barely still a top 20 player in the league and is right about where Drummond is which is supported by them finishing 16 and 18 overall in PER last year.  Dre is the best rebounder in the league, and when he tries, is one of the top C's in the league.  Last year he was #1 in the league in defensive +/- and defensive rating.  If you run the trade on ESPN's trade machine of the two straight up for each other, it gives us +1 win.  I don't think we go from 8/9 seed to 4/5 seed with +1 win. And the T Wolves finished 8th in the west with Butler, Chicago never faired any better before that. 

Gotta spend money wisely, just cause you're scared over Dumars signings doesn't mean that's a rule to live by.

An nah, I'm not going rounds with you over Drummond. He's not that good, he's a tip up re-bounder so his numbers are inflated, especially his offensive numbers.

T'wolves finished in 8th because Jimmy got hurt, when healthy they via'd for top 4 in the west, and won them enough games when he returned with like three games left to get them into the 8th seed. You clearly just don't watch Jimmy Butler. 

Drummond's also not a top C in the league. I can literally name 10 or more that are better. The only thing he does do good is rebound and that's not worth 20 plus million. There are literally tons of C's doing more with less cash. 1 nice stat that fans don't know.... The last two years with Andre Drummond on the floor, Pistons have been outscored by 7.1 points per 100 possessions.... 

Even if we wanted to trade Andre Drummond, Fans around here don't realize that no one else wants him even.

Edited by SimbaWho