2021 Mock Offseason [Bye Week]

WindyCity

29 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think it will, but #convcition.

The more I look at the Bears' crappy financials for 2021, the more I like the idea of going OT in round 1 and then taking a swing on a QB in rd 2, or at least being able to understand the move.  We probably won't be good in 21, so maybe go for high upside guy while biding your time and getting ready for 22

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Is that how much money Nagy and Pace have remaining on their contracts?  If so I don't think it will matter much.  NFL teams make that money back in no time.  

George has shown before that he will fire the GM or HC with money remaining on their deals.  It happened with Lovie, it happened with Emery and Trestman and it happened with Fox.  Don't be so naive to think it won't happen again even in a season with lower revenues.

He always stresses how his mom Virginia wants to see another winner before she passes. so you'd have to think that he's going to try anything to give the team a better chance of that happening, even if it turns out to be a bad decision.

There are no ticket sales.  The money printing machine is broken.

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

The more I look at the Bears' crappy financials for 2021, the more I like the idea of going OT in round 1 and then taking a swing on a QB in rd 2, or at least being able to understand the move.  We probably won't be good in 21, so maybe go for high upside guy while biding your time and getting ready for 22

I wouldn’t mind this strategy.  I feel like we are setting up the QB for failure.  

37 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

There are no ticket sales.  The money printing machine is broken.

They're still not losing money this year with all the TV contracts. Plus you don't think the organization has millions upon millions banked away from previous seasons?

Fans and ticket sales will be back in 2021. This is not a concern.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

They're still not losing money this year with all the TV contracts. Plus you don't think the organization has millions upon millions banked away from previous seasons?

Fans and ticket sales will be back in 2021. This is not a concern.

Nobody should ever worry about a billion dollar business making its money. They'll never run out of money... Ever.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

That would be fine if we had a GM and HC who are not desperate.

Lame duck years do exponential damage to teams. 

The players have no fear of coaches, coaches do not give max effort, development goes in reverse, bad habits develop, losing/bad attitude germinates in locker room and doesn’t leave.

Always better to move a year early than a year late on a player or a coach.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Lame duck years do exponential damage to teams. 

The players have no fear of coaches, coaches do not give max effort, development goes in reverse, bad habits develop, losing/bad attitude germinates in locker room and doesn’t leave.

Always better to move a year early than a year late on a player or a coach.

Yep this applies to a GM too in that he will probably do anything and everything to make sure the team has a chance to compete in the short term without much regard for future assets or cap space.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Yep and he made like the worst trade in NFL history too.  Houston messed up by letting that guy have full and autonomous control.

Shows how dumb most of these organizations are. The people who run football teams are probably not the smartest people in the world. I'm sure the Ravens organization just laughs at the decisions other teams make. It's like playing poker with a bunch of drunks.

On 11/18/2020 at 12:27 PM, RunningVaccs said:

The problem with that strategy is that if you fix the OL and hope for a QB later, the team won't be anywhere near as bad by the next draft, and you've made the qb hunt that much harder /the trade up that much harder. I'd argue that with a solid Oline, we would have a functional run game, at least 3 more wins, and STILL be no closer to winning a super bowl with our qbs, because we'd still be sitting under 21 points a game and wouldn't be able to match up. 

Imo ALWAYS go for/ grab the qb if you can, fill in the rest after. In our specific case, however, we will have to basically punt the entire draft towards desperation /need, because I actually agree that our current line would get a QB killed.... I just don't think we can skip the qb either. Personally I'm expecting to spend much of NEXT YEAR'S picks this year as well... We need the capital to move ourselves up for a QB, and then the capital to come back and grab multiple starting OL so the poor kid doesn't die. It's a terrible situation to be in, and we're almost assuredly going to have to pass up "better" talent at other positions, but we have to play the hand we have (I would say the hand we've been dealt, but our hand is of our own making by years of mismanagement and poor decisions) 

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

The problem with that strategy is that if you fix the OL and hope for a QB later, the team won't be anywhere near as bad by the next draft, and you've made the qb hunt that much harder /the trade up that much harder. I'd argue that with a solid Oline, we would have a functional run game, at least 3 more wins, and STILL be no closer to winning a super bowl with our qbs, because we'd still be sitting under 21 points a game and wouldn't be able to match up. 

Imo ALWAYS go for/ grab the qb if you can, fill in the rest after. In our specific case, however, we will have to basically punt the entire draft towards desperation /need, because I actually agree that our current line would get a QB killed.... I just don't think we can skip the qb either. Personally I'm expecting to spend much of NEXT YEAR'S picks this year as well... We need the capital to move ourselves up for a QB, and then the capital to come back and grab multiple starting OL so the poor kid doesn't die. It's a terrible situation to be in, and we're almost assuredly going to have to pass up "better" talent at other positions, but we have to play the hand we have (I would say the hand we've been dealt, but our hand is of our own making by years of mismanagement and poor decisions) 

Well said man. If a QB is worth it then you can always plug in pieces around him, even after he gets a big deal. But you can't just plug and play QBs the same way. Invest whenever you can there and never get bogged down by overpaying for mediocre talent at QB. 

It doesn't take 4 years to see if the QB is the guy in but a few instances.