Offseason Primer

StLunatic88

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I've got a hunch we sign Von Miller if he gets released. He wants another ring, he would be joining elite talent in Donald/Ramsey, he is familiar with Staley, and Hollywood suits him. I don't know what kind of cap gymnastics we would need to pull off, but I'm guessing there would be interest from both sides.

If we can get Miller I would be incredibly happy. Seeing what Floyd is doing and what Fowler Jr did if you replace those guys with Miller who is top tier AND he will be motivated to prove he still has it coming from injury I think the Rams defense will even be better than this year.

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Being blunt, how many long-term starting QBs have been found outside the first round over the past 20 years? I think you could be skeptical of almost every QB class outside of the first 40 or 50 picks (and that's being generous) and be right. To try and answer my own question, we have: Tom Brady, Drew Brees (top 40 pick), Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Tony Romo, Derek Carr (top 40 pick), and Andy Dalton (top 40 pick). There are some others who started for periods of time but not truly long term: David Garrard, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gardner Minshew (I'm speculating), Jimmy Garoppolo, Nick Foles, Tyrod Taylor, Drew Lock (again, I'm speculating), Jacoby Brissett, etc.

Basically, the odds are low of finding a long-term starter. The odds of finding a long-term backup and spot starter are better, but they aren't phenomenal either. Honestly, if the Jaguars decide to dump Gardner Minshew, I'd trade a mid round pick for him. He did well working behind a shaky OL with unimpressive weapons. I think he's at minimum a very high quality backup QB. 

I agree on all accounts. And I love Gardner as a good backup.

On 11/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, StLunatic88 said:

Gerald Everett - Ive been advocating to move on from GE for a year now. Not because he isnt good, but because we decided to pay Higbee and we are muddling up the TE situation. While Higbee might be disappointing this year, we cant really get out of that contract till next year. Plus its not like Everett is lighting the world on fire either, he is just as infuriating as Higbee, because his talent should make him such a better weapon. So while the jewel of TE free agency is Hunter Henry (and who knows if he gets away from the Chargers) Everett and Jonu Smith are the best options out there under 30. I think GE could net us a Comp pick, it just wont be a very high one. Im hoping for a 6th rounder at this point.

Question: What are Everett's strengths and weaknesses as a player? I see he doesn't have many TD catches to his name. Is that because he's a poor red zone target, or is it just because Goff prefers to throw to WRs in that part of the field?

On 12/8/2020 at 7:41 PM, Starless said:

Question: What are Everett's strengths and weaknesses as a player? I see he doesn't have many TD catches to his name. Is that because he's a poor red zone target, or is it just because Goff prefers to throw to WRs in that part of the field?

Personally I think his biggest weakness is his lack of consistency. He's very capable of making big plays and an adequate blocker but can just disappear in games. It's not like the guy in front of him is all world aside from blocking so it's a mystery to many Rams fans why Everett doesn't put up bigger numbers. 

24 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Personally I think his biggest weakness is his lack of consistency. He's very capable of making big plays and an adequate blocker but can just disappear in games. It's not like the guy in front of him is all world aside from blocking so it's a mystery to many Rams fans why Everett doesn't put up bigger numbers. 

Yep. Average blocked. Really good athlete. Great after the catch. But he's just not consistent or reliable. Drops passes he shouldn't. Fumbles at inopportune times. Always seems to be on the precipice of taking that next step but doesn't.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. Average blocked. Really good athlete. Great after the catch. But he's just not consistent or reliable. Drops passes he shouldn't. Fumbles at inopportune times. Always seems to be on the precipice of taking that next step but doesn't.

I almost added he's a younger Jared Cook but more athletic. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

I almost added he's a younger Jared Cook but more athletic. 

I'm not sure about more athletic. Probably similarly athletic. But he's a better runner after the catch. Yes, though, many of the same inconsistency issues.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, jrry32 said:

I'm not sure about more athletic. Probably similarly athletic. But he's a better runner after the catch. Yes, though, many of the same inconsistency issues.

Maybe it’s because of Mcvay and his history with Washington but Everette reminds me a lot of Jordan Reed. A healthier one. Reed has better hands imo but other than that I personally think that’s a close comp

1 hour ago, MDY10 said:

Maybe it’s because of Mcvay and his history with Washington but Everette reminds me a lot of Jordan Reed. A healthier one. Reed has better hands imo but other than that I personally think that’s a close comp

Reed was a better all around player when healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Reed was a better all around player when healthy.

Better route runner and catcher.. Gerald is a WR/RB playing TE... The way he runs with the ball just makes my heart skip. Dude is a wild child. But man can he go for 8-120 any given night lol... Also, is it me or did Higbee get massive? Dude looks like a large human being.. Almost like a baby gronk. 

When do we think Brandon Staley will be gone? Something I hate is that we can sign these great coordinators but they’re always gone after a year. It’s crazy, we used to be so bad that we’d lose our coordinators every year and now it’s because we’re so good lol At this rate I won’t be shocked if he’s gone after this season though. Would love if he could stick around for 2-3 years and see what this defense truly could be. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

When do we think Brandon Staley will be gone? Something I hate is that we can sign these great coordinators but they’re always gone after a year. It’s crazy, we used to be so bad that we’d lose our coordinators every year and now it’s because we’re so good lol At this rate I won’t be shocked if he’s gone after this season though. Would love if he could stick around for 2-3 years and see what this defense truly could be. 

Honestly it’s his call. My guess if he really want to go it’s next offseason but if he loves this culture and this young defense because it’s his defense he could choose not to go anywhere for years especially if the salary is right for him to stay. 

13 hours ago, MDY10 said:

I think there’s a chance he doesn’t get a head coaching gig this off-season. Though I’m not sure if I’m being more hopeful than realistic. He’s been great and I’d love to have him around next season but that comes at the expense of him not being a secret too. But hey, who knows? Lotta people thought Saleh would have gotten a HC job as far as two off seasons ago. 

Edited by BEASToftheEAST4
Typo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, MDY10 said:

It's hard to say. Offensive coaches are all the rage right now. That will help us, as will Staley's relative lack of NFL experience. But it's hard to ignore what he has done this year. He's arguably the NFL's best DC in his rookie year as a NFL DC. I expect somebody hires him away. They're going to see a defensive version of McVay, and I think they might just be right. I hope he goes to the AFC. I don't want to play him often.