OL Coach Mark Colombo fired

Acgott

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Early on I had a lot of respect for Joe Judge and this coaching staff, hearing this only makes me respect Joe Judge more. He saw the offensive-line was the problem and he made it better. I am willing to bet he wanted to spend this bye week improving other areas on the team and brought in the consultant (now the new offensive line coach) to free him to do such.  

• Like 1

So it sounds like Joe Judge was having to devote a lot of time and attention to the o-line in practice because Marc Colombo wasn't getting the job done. I also heard Colombo was brought on to make the OC job more attractive to Garrett. Plus he wasn't on board with rotating the linemen, even though it was working. His reaction to Googs coming in as an assistant pretty much sealed the deal.

It might come off to us as rash because this is the first we've heard or seen of disagreements between them, but I think Judge must have been planning this move for a while. 

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

As much as a lot of us thought Marc Colombo was a good move.  Turns out "the Judge", I coin this nickname, knows best.  

This new coach was the guy that made an average group of lineman look like stars for the giants back in the superbowl days.  Same coach that made the giants jump all over Nate Solder, whom most of us where saying early on it was a great pick up.  From what I've seen these last few weeks of game, it's true.  This guy is already turning this line around.  

Colombo was brought over from the influence of Red Jesus aka Jason Garrett.  Dallas drafted an all pro offensive line, and I'm pretty sure Jerry wasn't happy with they way it has performed over the past 2 maybe 3 years.  Wouldn't be surprised if the line continues to improve and we start losing again that the Judge will be looking for his replacement.  Garrett could blame his failures on a poor offensive line in the past, he can't know.  Line is playing close to like it did back in the ring days.  Even the center is playing like a center and having this bye week comes at the perfect time. 

the Judge keeps impressing me.

Red Jesus this isn't your team.  No longer the head coach.  Was sick and tired of him leaning so hard on the passing game.  Our defense can actually hold a team from scoring now, we don't need to pass every down.  Wayne Gallman needs to be getting his hands on that ball a lot more than he is.  Now as long as we can keep the gm from screwing it all up, we might seriously be contenders for a real chance at the glory days.

Sorry kind of went everywhere with that pep rally.  

Pulled this off of wikipedia.

NFL coaching[edit]

DeGuglielmo left UCF within a month, joining the New York Giants staff under head coach Tom Coughlin whom he had served as a graduate assistant at Boston College 13 years earlier. In his tenure, the Giants made the playoffs four consecutive years, won Super Bowl XLII, and set a franchise record for rushing yards (2,518) and yards per carry (5.0) in 2008.[4] Afterwards, he held the same job for the Miami Dolphins; in 2011 the Dolphins rushed for 1,987 yards in what was also Reggie Bush's first 1,000-yard season. DeGuglielmo was named the New York Jets' offensive line coach on January 24, 2012.[5] He was fired on February 5, 2013, and spent the 2013 football season as a football analyst for Clear Channel Radio's Sports Talk First Edition, on 560 AM WVOC in Columbia, SC.[6]

On January 22, 2014, the New England Patriots announced they had hired DeGuglielmo as the new offensive line coach to replace Dante Scarnecchia, who retired after 30 years with the team; DeGuglielmo had a preliminary agreement to serve as offensive line coach at University of Maryland six days prior to the Patriots' announcement.[7] DeGuglilemo won a second Super Bowl ring in the Patriots' Super Bowl XLIX win over the Seattle Seahawks. The offensive line fared worse in 2015, and was ravaged with injuries, including a season-ending injury to left tackle Nate Solder. He was fired by the Patriots on January 25, 2016, one day after the Patriots' offensive line "collapse[d]"[8] in the AFC Championship Game against the Denver Broncos.

On July 29, 2019, just four days into training camp, the Miami Dolphins dismissed offensive line coach Pat Flaherty and named DeGuglielmo to the position. DeGuglielmo had previously been hired as a team analyst.[9]

DeGuglielmo was hired as the Giants offensive line coach midway through the season, replacing the terminated Marc Colombo.[10]

• Like 1

The craziest thing about this whole situation, even crazier than the alleged fist fight, is the relationship Colombo and Guge have. Guge coached Colombo when the latter played RT on the Dolphins in like 2011. Supposedly, after the final game of the season, Colombo went up to Guge and said "I learned more from you this year than I ever have under any other coach" (source for this below). I think Colombo was fired up and had a poor enough reaction to get fired because 1. he didn't like the idea of being 'helped' and potentially undermined by anyone and 2. he knew that Guge was a better coach than he is and he would eventually get fired.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/giants/2020/11/19/dave-deguglielmo-3-things-know-new-ny-giants-ol-coach/3778174001/

"My last game in 2011, we knew the staff was being replaced, and I had a rookie center, who came off the field, gave me a big hug, was in tears and was sad that I was leaving," DeGuglielmo said. "Right after that, I had an 11-year veteran playing right tackle, that was his last game, he played for a number of teams, and he pulled me aside, he said to me in his Boston accent, 'Coach, I've learned more from you than I have from any other coach in my 11 years in the league.' That was my best football memory."

Really good work by Art Stapleton on this.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 12:22 AM, ny92mike said:

Colombo was brought over from the influence of Red Jesus aka Jason Garrett.  Dallas drafted an all pro offensive line, and I'm pretty sure Jerry wasn't happy with they way it has performed over the past 2 maybe 3 years. 

Colombo was really good for us. Turned our OL from trash ('17 & 1/2 of 18) into top tier in 2019. "All pro" OL or not, they were bad for a while. Bottom 5 by many pass blocking sites.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:40 AM, minutemancl said:

1. he didn't like the idea of being 'helped' and potentially undermined by anyone and

Doubt it, he had a co-OL coach with us and it went fine.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:40 AM, minutemancl said:

2. he knew that Guge was a better coach than he is and he would eventually get fired.

Isnt Guge a huge jerk who keeps getting fired? Thats what I read about him elsewhere, but I could be mistaken.