Week 11 - Rams at Buccaneers - MNF

RamRod

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

We just have to hope the defense can over come them like they did on Monday. 

You are acting like we won 10-7. The Rams averaged 1.9 yards a rush. That was least efficient performance against Tampa all year.  The offense needed Goff to carry them and he delivered. Tampa came in with 32 sacks on the year. Goff didn't take any. He was getting the ball out quickly. Any negative plays with Tampas front would be drive killers. He did an outstanding job avoiding those. 

Aside from New Orleans and Chargers, this was the best offensive performance against Tampa. They have a great defense. Goff dropped back to pass 51 times and basically had 4 bad plays. He was a big time positive in the game. 

• Like 2

I'm going to open up some old wounds. In what world is this a fumble:

While this is a forward pass:

That bad call in the Steelers game cost us the playoffs, yet a much more clear fumble somehow stands as a pass in the TB game. NFL refs are such trash.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

That bad call in the Steelers game cost us the playoffs, yet a much more clear fumble somehow stands as a pass in the TB game. NFL refs are such trash.

This was the 2 plays I thought of. Refs let the Minkah play go on giving the defense the benefit of the doubt and blow the Brady play dead instantly despite refs being instructed to let it play out. 

I'm biased but I'm 99.9% the Steelers play should have been incomplete. The Brady one I think is a fumble. I think replay should have reversed it. But I can maybe see why they kept the ruling on the field. I see Brady dropping the ball due to Fox before he's able to go forward. 

I've tried to block the Steelers game out but what irritated me with both is the commentators hardly touched about how controversial those calls were. And especially in the Bucs game how ridiculous it was to blow the play dead. There's zero chance an official had a good enough view to determine that in real time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Should of phrased it better....

Any outside perspective would say our most volatile piece is Goff. He can play amazing at times and have turnovers that are headscratchers. We just have to hope the defense can over come them like they did on Monday. 

Bro Goff is not gonna be the best QB in the league any time soon. He’s not gonna throw 5tds and 0 picks every game. Get that out of your head. 

look at things realistically. He struggled against cover zero when they played Miami. TB did the same thing and he diced them apart. Sure he made a mistake in that second INT but he’s also not an elite QB yet. He’s getting better. Once he starts limiting the turnovers you’ll see an elite QB

im seeing progress from him this season, which is very encouraging. He’s changing plays, reading protections. Pocket passers rely more on reading defenses and protections because they just cant run away from the blitz or buy enough time for receivers to get open. That’s why it takes longer for pocket passers to develop than scrambling QBs

to be completely honest with you, the top QBs are not that much better than Goff if you take their scrambling ability away and that’s a fact 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

You are acting like we won 10-7. The Rams averaged 1.9 yards a rush. That was least efficient performance against Tampa all year.  The offense needed Goff to carry them and he delivered. Tampa came in with 32 sacks on the year. Goff didn't take any. He was getting the ball out quickly. Any negative plays with Tampas front would be drive killers. He did an outstanding job avoiding those. 

Aside from New Orleans and Chargers, this was the best offensive performance against Tampa. They have a great defense. Goff dropped back to pass 51 times and basically had 4 bad plays. He was a big time positive in the game. 

Our WR's lead the league in YAC. And on Monday night specifically, a majority of Woods/Kupps yards came on YAC. Goff played well and his turnovers are bothersome. Both can be true.

Also, TB has a great run defense. Their pass defense ranks 16th in Passing yards, 29th in completion percentage, and 20th in passing touchdowns per game. 

50 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Bro Goff is not gonna be the best QB in the league any time soon. He’s not gonna throw 5tds and 0 picks every game. Get that out of your head. 

I would literally take that ANY game, let alone every game lmfao. But to adjust for realistic expectations, give me 2 TDs and no turnovers per game. Can that be in my head?

He;s in the 10-15 overall range as I've said in the past, but his ability to protect the football and limit turnovers is something to be concerned about. And taking the playclock down to 1 second every play is mind numbingly annoying. Last game he had 2 delay of game penalties.

17 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

He;s in the 10-15 overall range as I've said in the past, but his ability to protect the football and limit turnovers is something to be concerned about. And taking the playclock down to 1 second every play is mind numbingly annoying. Last game he had 2 delay of game penalties.

Wilson had a delay of game penalty too against the Rams and nobody is killing him about it and he has been in the league longer than Goff. Plus how can you even talk about the “phantom” delay of game penalty against the Bucs when clearly there was 1 second on the clock and the refs threw the flag? Just because it was a flag doesn’t mean it was the right call. Go back and watch and you will see it was 1 second on the clock when the ball was snapped and I was literally shocked to see the flag thrown. 

As for turnovers, Goff threw the ball 51 times so I expect a turnover or two. It unfortunately happened in the 2nd half and one happened at the wrong time late in the 4th quarter. Coming into the game Goff had the best passer rating in the 4th quarter which means he wasn’t turning the ball over in the 4th. Don’t have the stats with me but I’m almost certain this is his first turnover in the 4th quarter all season long so I’m not going to kill him. Yes it’s a must a QB take care of the ball but it’s extra important a QB don’t make the big mistake in the most imprudent moments. Goff hasn’t done that. He hasn’t turned the ball over but once this season in the 4th quarter and the Rams are top 6 in 3rd down conversions (the money down) and Goff has thrown 1 int in the red zone with like 47 tds since 2017 so he is doing more right than wrong. He is playing winning football as he has 40 wins since 2017 which is 2nd best amongst QBs only behind Brady who has 43 wins. So really not much to complain about with Goff imo.

Edited by stl4life07

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Our WR's lead the league in YAC. And on Monday night specifically, a majority of Woods/Kupps yards came on YAC. Goff played well and his turnovers are bothersome. Both can be true.

Also, TB has a great run defense. Their pass defense ranks 16th in Passing yards, 29th in completion percentage, and 20th in passing touchdowns per game. 

I just feel like your whole stance is we won despite Goff and not because of him. He should get major credit for getting rid of the ball quickly and accurately to let the receivers make plays after the catch. 

But again, Tampa was 4th coming into the game in sacks per game. The protection was good but most credit should go to Goff for not letting the rush even have a chance. And when there was pressure he moved in the pocket to buy time. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

And taking the playclock down to 1 second every play is mind numbingly annoying. Last game he had 2 delay of game penalties.

Dude you need to understand that is on Mcvay. The plays where it gets down to 1 are the plays where they don't break the huddle until 10. That is because Mcvay stays in his ear as long as possible so that he can assess the defense. Once that clock hits 15, Goff has to relay the play to the team and break the huddle. By the time they get set, you're already close to 5 seconds left.

Now to Mcvay's credit, he gave Goff a lot more control on Monday and Goff excelled at commanding the LOS. That type of relationship will DRASTICALLY improve our offense, but stop acting like Goff is just taking his good old time and conveniently leaving out the reason why the huddle doesn't get broken until there are 10 seconds left. 

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

On Monday, I was able to live with the call (not the whistle), but bringing this back into my memory makes me so so so mad now that it wasn't called a TD. WTF.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Dude you need to understand that is on Mcvay. The plays where it gets down to 1 are the plays where they don't break the huddle until 10. That is because Mcvay stays in his ear as long as possible so that he can assess the defense. Once that clock hits 15, Goff has to relay the play to the team and break the huddle. By the time they get set, you're already close to 5 seconds left.

Now to Mcvay's credit, he gave Goff a lot more control on Monday and Goff excelled at commanding the LOS. That type of relationship will DRASTICALLY improve our offense, but stop acting like Goff is just taking his good old time and conveniently leaving out the reason why the huddle doesn't get broken until there are 10 seconds left. 

Sometimes, it's on McVay. Sometimes, it's on Goff. There are definitely times when Goff changes things late and doesn't show the urgency that he should have based on where the play clock is.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I would literally take that ANY game, let alone every game lmfao. But to adjust for realistic expectations, give me 2 TDs and no turnovers per game. Can that be in my head?

I honestly question your football knowledge. 

if McVay had called plays where Goff throws it in the end zone, he would have much better stats. against Seattle he coulda had 3 Td passes but McVay instead chose to run it in. How does that fall on Goff? 

you look at stats and don’t really look between the lines when it comes to QB play 

Brett Favre, who is mostly considered top 10 of all time, also threw many picks and was even worse than Goff was in turnovers. P Manning, same thing. 

you’re comparing Goff to the scrambling QBs who’s plays and stats are going to be much different than a pocket passer. 

right now, there aren’t 9 QBs in the league I’d take over Goff 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Sometimes, it's on McVay. Sometimes, it's on Goff. There are definitely times when Goff changes things late and doesn't show the urgency that he should have based on where the play clock is.

it’s mostly McVay, because he goes over hard count, tempo, play calls, audibles, etc

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You're right, but Goff hasn't had much practice with it. I think that aspect is still fairly new to him so he should get better at commanding the LOS with time as long as Mcvay continues to give him the opportunity. If he doesn't, then the criticism will be fair. 

• Like 1

Looks like Donald is starting to express his frustration with the officials. 2 games now that he’s been held off the stat sheet. I’ve been saying it all year, he gets no holding calls against him. Some are so darn blatant. If that Brady pass was indeed “incomplete” in the end zone, there should have been a hold against AD for a safety. It’s concerning at this point. The PI in the bills game along with a bunch of no calls on hitting Goff in the head, along with the PI calls vs Tampa,  along with never calling holding on AD.. it’s total BS and getting insanely old. 

Edited by MDY10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MDY10 said:

Looks like Donald is starting to express his frustration with the officials. 2 games now that he’s been held off the stat sheet. I’ve been saying it all year, he gets no holding calls against him. Some are so darn blatant. If that Brady pass was indeed “incomplete” in the end zone, there should have been a hold against AD for a safety. It’s concerning at this point. The PI in the bills game along with a bunch of no calls on hitting Goff in the head, along with the PI calls vs Tampa,  along with never calling holding on AD.. it’s total BS and getting insanely old. 

AD is such a quiet guy that when he voices frustration like that, the NFL should listen. It's absolutely insane the production the guy gets while being double teamed, triple teamed, and held on a regular basis. 

• Like 3