Sign in to follow this  
SDotNova

Midseason Mock because what else can we do as Jets fans

Ahh mock drafts. I feel it's what Jets fans enjoy most. One day we'll be able to stop mocking because we'll be cheering for a winner. In the meantime, I wanted to put out a mid season mock draft. Been sort of think of this over the last few weeks. It's partly how I hope and partly what I think Douglas will do.

Coach:

HC: Dan Campbell. I've liked him for some time and like him even more now that we have Joe Douglas. I think their vision of how a team should be built and the culture they want for a team are insync. I like him in that head coaches role where he is more of a CEO type and focused on developing the team from a culture and skill perspective. I won't speculate on assistant coaches, but I suspect coaches will be lining up to be the OC for a team with the number 1 pick in this draft.

Free Agency: 

• Corey Linsley iOL: The Packers won't be able to afford him. So, he will be available. We have to fix the interior of our OL and I think the best route is to get a center and move McGovern to RG. Getting Linsley allows us to go this route.
  • Corey Davis WR: I like the idea of adding a WR in FA because it gives us more flexibility in the draft. There's also a handful of quality players that might be available. I don't expect ARob and Golladay to hit FA because their teams can and likely will retain them. So it comes down to JuJu vs Davis. I think Davis is the better fit and player for our team.
  • Trey Hendrickson Edge: Adds much needed help on the edge. 

Trades:

• Darnold QB: I'm not seeing the 2nd and 5th that was thrown out there. I think at best we get a late second. After landing the 1st overall pick, I have us trading Darnold and our late 5th to Denver for a 3rd(2021) and 3rd(2022)
  • Dereck Barnett Edge: The Eagles are in cap hell and will need to get creative to get under the cap. There were rumors that Barnett would be traded at the deadline. Similar value to the Leo trade, I have us trading a 3rd(2022) and our early 5th for Dereck Barnett Edge

Resignings:

• Marcus Maye S
  • Perriman WR: I think we should bring him back as our 4th WR behind Mims, Davis and Crowder
  • Brian Poole CB
  • Other resigning, Hewitt LB, Flacco QB, Farley S, Basham Edge, Luvu LB, Castillo K, Langi LB

Cuts: 

• Alex Lewis iOL: We cut him after the draft
  • Henry Anderson iDL

And here's the 2021 NFL Draft

1) Trevor Lawrence QB: Just turn in the card. I like Fields and Wilson, but I think we should go with the guy who's been rated a top 5 draft QB since he entered college.

1) Pat Freiermuth TE: Herndon might be a TE1 he might not. Freiermuth looks like a complete TE that will bring a nice level of physicality to our team. We can also run nice 2 TE sets which I suspect Campbell will be a big proponent of.

2) Najee Harris RB: Another physical player. I like his running style and he's also a really good receiver.

3) Israel Mukuamu CB: Adding another big bodied outside corner to compete with Hall and Austin. Hopefully 2 of 3 become solid starters and the other becomes solid depth.

3) Jordan Davis iDL: We add a bit to an area of strength. Hoping to have a really strong rotation in at iDL.

3) Kolby Harvell-Peel S: Physical safety who can play in the box with good ball skills. He has a great sense of being at the right place at the right time. 

4) Alec Lindstrom iOL: He becomes Linsley under study. 

6) Alaric Jackson OL: Similar to Clark, I suspect he will be consider a guard at the next level. He adds some depth at guard.

Depth Chart:

QB: Lawrence     Flacco     Morgan

RB: Harris     Perine     Johnson

TE: Freiermuth     Herndon     Griffin     Wesco

WR: Mims     Cager

WR: Davis     Perriman

WR: Crowder    Berrios

LT: Becton

LG: Clark     Jackson

OC: Linsley     Lindstrom

RG: McGovern     Van Rotten

RT: Fant    Edoga

Edge: Hendricks    Zuniga

DT: Williams    Franklin-Myers     Smart

DT: Fatukasi     Davis

Edge: Barnett    Basham     Huff

LB: Mosley     Cashman     Luvu

LB: Hewitt     Langi

CB: Austin     Mukuamu

CB: Hall     Jackson

CB: Poole     Guidry

FS: Maye     Farley

SS: Davis     Harvell-Peel

K: Castillo
P: Mann

LS: Hennessy

Aside from QB, a lot of the offensive success will come with the development of Mims. If he becomes what we all hope, a #1 WR, than everything should fall into place. The Defenses success will hinge on the development of our outside corners.

I cant wait to see what Douglas does this offseason. I have faith in him and believe he will have us competing in short order.

• Like 1

very weak in FA.  probably going to have the most money in the league.  i expect a lot of action.

not excited about the late 1st and the 2nd round picks.  don't think using that early of a pick on a TE and RB is beneficial.  would probably target WR or OL there.

16 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

very weak in FA.  probably going to have the most money in the league.  i expect a lot of action.

not excited about the late 1st and the 2nd round picks.  don't think using that early of a pick on a TE and RB is beneficial.  would probably target WR or OL there.

I agree, if it wasn't for the four position we have to fill on offensive this year as crazy as it sounds this would be another year drafting defensive. All those high first round pick that we drafted for defensive are all gone except of Q & Maye who we got in the second round. All those pick that are now playing for other teams or out of football they were supposed to be the core of the Jets defensive are gone. THANKS TO MACC's LOUSY DRAFTING

I would be very mad if they went this route. I like the T Lw pick but that is it. I think picking a TE or RB early is a waste of a pick. You can pick but RB and TE late and drafts that do well. No TE should be picked in the first round ever. O.J Howard and others have proven that is it just a wasted pick. There are only 2 TE that make a huge impact and that is Kittle and Kelce and the rest are about the same. I would rather have OL guys, D guys, WR than a TE or RB. 

20 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I would be very mad if they went this route. I like the T Lw pick but that is it. I think picking a TE or RB early is a waste of a pick. You can pick but RB and TE late and drafts that do well. No TE should be picked in the first round ever. O.J Howard and others have proven that is it just a wasted pick. There are only 2 TE that make a huge impact and that is Kittle and Kelce and the rest are about the same. I would rather have OL guys, D guys, WR than a TE or RB. 

YEA i THINK SO ALSO,  QB,OL,WR,PASS RUSH,LB with the first five picks

Edited by doumeyer

So many holes so it’s very difficult but we have to priorities weapons for our new QB. Ideally another receiver would be great but I like it overall. 

Thanks for the feedback. We have a lot of holes on this team. WR, iOL, edge and corner are obvious. But I think RB and TE are issues as well. Unless y’all think Perine is a starter which I don’t. Addressing TE and RB will help our QB as well. 

I thought I covered Edge, TE, RB and the interior oline pretty well. I can see why y’all would think I didn’t do enough at WR and Corner. For what it’s worth, I’m pretty high on Mims and think he’ll be viewed as a #1 WR really soon. I’m also probably higher on Corey Davis than most. He looks like a solid starter to me. His numbers don’t pop but that’s partly because the Titans are 6th to last in pass attempts. They’re pretty run heavy for today’s nfl.

Edited by SDotNova

6 hours ago, xenajets said:

So many holes so it’s very difficult but we have to priorities weapons for our new QB. Ideally another receiver would be great but I like it overall. 

I agree we do have so many hole to fill both on offensive and defense, probable with a QB if Darnold show very little when he play again. He spends more time in sick bay than on the field. But you are right we need more weapons.

I didn’t want to put dollar amounts because there’s so many moving parts and I just wanted focus on team building, but let’s just do some back of the envelop some of this.

Between Corey Davis, Corey Linsley, and Trey Hendrickson, we are likely spending $35 in this scenario. Plus I have us trading for Dereck Barnett who is under contract for $10 next year. Plus we likely have to allocate $8 or so million for draft picks and teams don’t normally go into a season with zero space. For argument sake, say we give ourselves $7m of wiggle room. 

That alone is $60 million of our cap space. We should resign some of our players. Or maybe not I guess? Let’s say Maye and Poole at a minimum. How much are we paying them? Cutting Alex Lewis and Henry Anderson will net us $10. But should we not bring some of our other players?

Maybe I’m short 1 player in FA. But I’m getting the impression y’all think we have infinite money. It’s going to go fast. 

Edited by SDotNova

On 11/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, SDotNova said:

Ahh mock drafts. I feel it's what Jets fans enjoy most. One day we'll be able to stop mocking because we'll be cheering for a winner. In the meantime, I wanted to put out a mid season mock draft. Been sort of think of this over the last few weeks. It's partly how I hope and partly what I think Douglas will do.

Coach:

HC: Dan Campbell. I've liked him for some time and like him even more now that we have Joe Douglas. I think their vision of how a team should be built and the culture they want for a team are insync. I like him in that head coaches role where he is more of a CEO type and focused on developing the team from a culture and skill perspective. I won't speculate on assistant coaches, but I suspect coaches will be lining up to be the OC for a team with the number 1 pick in this draft.

Free Agency: 

• Corey Linsley iOL: The Packers won't be able to afford him. So, he will be available. We have to fix the interior of our OL and I think the best route is to get a center and move McGovern to RG. Getting Linsley allows us to go this route.
  • Corey Davis WR: I like the idea of adding a WR in FA because it gives us more flexibility in the draft. There's also a handful of quality players that might be available. I don't expect ARob and Golladay to hit FA because their teams can and likely will retain them. So it comes down to JuJu vs Davis. I think Davis is the better fit and player for our team.
  • Trey Hendrickson Edge: Adds much needed help on the edge. 

Trades:

• Darnold QB: I'm not seeing the 2nd and 5th that was thrown out there. I think at best we get a late second. After landing the 1st overall pick, I have us trading Darnold and our late 5th to Denver for a 3rd(2021) and 3rd(2022)
  • Dereck Barnett Edge: The Eagles are in cap hell and will need to get creative to get under the cap. There were rumors that Barnett would be traded at the deadline. Similar value to the Leo trade, I have us trading a 3rd(2022) and our early 5th for Dereck Barnett Edge

Resignings:

• Marcus Maye S
  • Perriman WR: I think we should bring him back as our 4th WR behind Mims, Davis and Crowder
  • Brian Poole CB
  • Other resigning, Hewitt LB, Flacco QB, Farley S, Basham Edge, Luvu LB, Castillo K, Langi LB

Cuts: 

• Alex Lewis iOL: We cut him after the draft
  • Henry Anderson iDL

And here's the 2021 NFL Draft

1) Trevor Lawrence QB: Just turn in the card. I like Fields and Wilson, but I think we should go with the guy who's been rated a top 5 draft QB since he entered college.

1) Pat Freiermuth TE: Herndon might be a TE1 he might not. Freiermuth looks like a complete TE that will bring a nice level of physicality to our team. We can also run nice 2 TE sets which I suspect Campbell will be a big proponent of.

2) Najee Harris RB: Another physical player. I like his running style and he's also a really good receiver.

3) Israel Mukuamu CB: Adding another big bodied outside corner to compete with Hall and Austin. Hopefully 2 of 3 become solid starters and the other becomes solid depth.

3) Jordan Davis iDL: We add a bit to an area of strength. Hoping to have a really strong rotation in at iDL.

3) Kolby Harvell-Peel S: Physical safety who can play in the box with good ball skills. He has a great sense of being at the right place at the right time. 

4) Alec Lindstrom iOL: He becomes Linsley under study. 

6) Alaric Jackson OL: Similar to Clark, I suspect he will be consider a guard at the next level. He adds some depth at guard.

Depth Chart:

QB: Lawrence     Flacco     Morgan

RB: Harris     Perine     Johnson

TE: Freiermuth     Herndon     Griffin     Wesco

WR: Mims     Cager

WR: Davis     Perriman

WR: Crowder    Berrios

LT: Becton

LG: Clark     Jackson

OC: Linsley     Lindstrom

RG: McGovern     Van Rotten

RT: Fant    Edoga

Edge: Hendricks    Zuniga

DT: Williams    Franklin-Myers     Smart

DT: Fatukasi     Davis

Edge: Barnett    Basham     Huff

LB: Mosley     Cashman     Luvu

LB: Hewitt     Langi

CB: Austin     Mukuamu

CB: Hall     Jackson

CB: Poole     Guidry

FS: Maye     Farley

SS: Davis     Harvell-Peel

K: Castillo
P: Mann

LS: Hennessy

Aside from QB, a lot of the offensive success will come with the development of Mims. If he becomes what we all hope, a #1 WR, than everything should fall into place. The Defenses success will hinge on the development of our outside corners.

I cant wait to see what Douglas does this offseason. I have faith in him and believe he will have us competing in short order.

You left P Eifiein offensive guard off you list is is on our roster now. 

I like Davis and we'll see how Perriman finishes the season but I don't like having both.  I want FA, Mims, Crowder, draft pick.  Especially if we can get a burner to open up the deep ball.  This offense was better with Robby and almost all teams have someone to stretch the field.

We need A LOT more than Davis at WR. While I like Davis... he’s not a one person fix for us at WR. You point out Mims... but you mention him like he’s a future #1 WR. And while I like him. He’s done 0 to prove that to date. And I highly doubt he shows that in these past few games. With the FA WRs, trade available WRs and the draft. We need to do more there.