Sign in to follow this  
SDotNova

Midseason Mock because what else can we do as Jets fans

Looks like I’m on a bit of an island wanting to address iOL, RB and TE just as much as WR. 

4 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Looks like I’m on a bit of an island wanting to address iOL, RB and TE just as much as WR. 

Yes but bringing back Perriman and not drafting a WR isn't enough.  We need weapons.

I want to address every offensive position and depending on how the board shakes up is how I would base my choices.  TE is the last thing I would address but if we can land Pitts/Pat F then I push RB down to 3rd/4th round.

20 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yes but bringing back Perriman and not drafting a WR isn't enough.  We need weapons.

I want to address every offensive position and depending on how the board shakes up is how I would base my choices.  TE is the last thing I would address but if we can land Pitts/Pat F then I push RB down to 3rd/4th round.

Right. We’ll likely have to make tough decisions. I don’t really see ARob, Godwin and Golladay hitting FA. Their teams can either already afford them or will after you factor in the carryover. Or they’ll make it a priority to sign them by making room. Maybe ARob hits FA.

So who are the next best WR. I’m thinking they’re Juju and Davis. Who’s better? Juju has been a high volume guy playing the slot. But he’ll be on the outside for us.

So it basically comes down to our late 1st and early second if we want to further address WR. Is the improvement from Perriman to a guy like Bateman going to help more than the addition Freiermuth or Harris?

I get the positional value argument. But I’m watching how much easier the Brown’s running game has made it on Baker. Wilson when he first came into the league was eased in with the help of a strong running game. Now if we think a 4th round RB will be able to do what Harris can, than sure grab a WR and just wait to grab a RB. I just see Harris as a guy who can really make Lawrence’s life easier especially because he is a really good receiver as well.

Im not saying I don’t get what all of y’all are saying. It’s just a mock. No biggie. We all want the next QB to be giving a chance unlike what we did for Darnold.

Edited by SDotNova

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

So it basically comes down to our late 1st and early second if we want to further address WR. Is the improvement from Perriman to a guy like Bateman going to help more than the addition Freiermuth or Harris?

I'm all for guys like Pat F and Harris, love them, but to completely ignore drafting a WR is a mistake.  Take a burner in the 3rd or 4th instead of iDL.  Something like that.  

At least that's my preference.

17 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm all for guys like Pat F and Harris, love them, but to completely ignore drafting a WR is a mistake.  Take a burner in the 3rd or 4th instead of iDL.  Something like that.  

At least that's my preference.

That’s true and makes sense. Adding another WR in the 3rd gives us more opportunities to have weapons on the outside for our QB. I’m probably going to change my expectations on what I’m expecting Joe D to do. 

Edited by SDotNova

I don't know if you tracked JD well or it is an accident.   In 2018, there were screaming for WR help but JD drafted TE Dallas Goedert in 2nd round with WR James Washington and DJ Chalk being available.

17 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I don't know if you tracked JD well or it is an accident.   In 2018, there were screaming for WR help but JD drafted TE Dallas Goedert in 2nd round with WR James Washington and DJ Chalk being available.

I don't think you've tracked JD well then. Bc he wasn't the GM in Philly. So to say HE DRAFTED just is false. 

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't think you've tracked JD well then. Bc he wasn't the GM in Philly. So to say HE DRAFTED just is false. 

True that JD didn't officially draft anyone in Philly because Howie has been GM that made all official announcements.  I still recognize JD as a drafter because he had set up the draftboard alone and there were no disruption between Howie and JD during drafts at all.  

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

True that JD didn't officially draft anyone in Philly because Howie has been GM that made all official announcements.  I still recognize JD as a drafter because he had set up the draftboard alone and there were no disruption between Howie and JD during drafts at all.  

Yes but he's not the one making the final decision. Truth is there's just no way of knowing. Unless he's directly asked. Who we drafted last year as really all we can judge JD off of draft wise. Bc that's who HE CHOSE. Not who the guy he works for drafted. 

On 11/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, SDotNova said:

Ahh mock drafts. I feel it's what Jets fans enjoy most. One day we'll be able to stop mocking because we'll be cheering for a winner. In the meantime, I wanted to put out a mid season mock draft. Been sort of think of this over the last few weeks. It's partly how I hope and partly what I think Douglas will do.

Coach:

HC: Dan Campbell. I've liked him for some time and like him even more now that we have Joe Douglas. I think their vision of how a team should be built and the culture they want for a team are insync. I like him in that head coaches role where he is more of a CEO type and focused on developing the team from a culture and skill perspective. I won't speculate on assistant coaches, but I suspect coaches will be lining up to be the OC for a team with the number 1 pick in this draft.

Free Agency: 

• Corey Linsley iOL: The Packers won't be able to afford him. So, he will be available. We have to fix the interior of our OL and I think the best route is to get a center and move McGovern to RG. Getting Linsley allows us to go this route.
  • Corey Davis WR: I like the idea of adding a WR in FA because it gives us more flexibility in the draft. There's also a handful of quality players that might be available. I don't expect ARob and Golladay to hit FA because their teams can and likely will retain them. So it comes down to JuJu vs Davis. I think Davis is the better fit and player for our team.
  • Trey Hendrickson Edge: Adds much needed help on the edge. 

Trades:

• Darnold QB: I'm not seeing the 2nd and 5th that was thrown out there. I think at best we get a late second. After landing the 1st overall pick, I have us trading Darnold and our late 5th to Denver for a 3rd(2021) and 3rd(2022)
  • Dereck Barnett Edge: The Eagles are in cap hell and will need to get creative to get under the cap. There were rumors that Barnett would be traded at the deadline. Similar value to the Leo trade, I have us trading a 3rd(2022) and our early 5th for Dereck Barnett Edge

Resignings:

• Marcus Maye S
  • Perriman WR: I think we should bring him back as our 4th WR behind Mims, Davis and Crowder
  • Brian Poole CB
  • Other resigning, Hewitt LB, Flacco QB, Farley S, Basham Edge, Luvu LB, Castillo K, Langi LB

Cuts: 

• Alex Lewis iOL: We cut him after the draft
  • Henry Anderson iDL

And here's the 2021 NFL Draft

1) Trevor Lawrence QB: Just turn in the card. I like Fields and Wilson, but I think we should go with the guy who's been rated a top 5 draft QB since he entered college.

1) Pat Freiermuth TE: Herndon might be a TE1 he might not. Freiermuth looks like a complete TE that will bring a nice level of physicality to our team. We can also run nice 2 TE sets which I suspect Campbell will be a big proponent of.

2) Najee Harris RB: Another physical player. I like his running style and he's also a really good receiver.

3) Israel Mukuamu CB: Adding another big bodied outside corner to compete with Hall and Austin. Hopefully 2 of 3 become solid starters and the other becomes solid depth.

3) Jordan Davis iDL: We add a bit to an area of strength. Hoping to have a really strong rotation in at iDL.

3) Kolby Harvell-Peel S: Physical safety who can play in the box with good ball skills. He has a great sense of being at the right place at the right time. 

4) Alec Lindstrom iOL: He becomes Linsley under study. 

6) Alaric Jackson OL: Similar to Clark, I suspect he will be consider a guard at the next level. He adds some depth at guard.

Depth Chart:

QB: Lawrence     Flacco     Morgan

RB: Harris     Perine     Johnson

TE: Freiermuth     Herndon     Griffin     Wesco

WR: Mims     Cager

WR: Davis     Perriman

WR: Crowder    Berrios

LT: Becton

LG: Clark     Jackson

OC: Linsley     Lindstrom

RG: McGovern     Van Rotten

RT: Fant    Edoga

Edge: Hendricks    Zuniga

DT: Williams    Franklin-Myers     Smart

DT: Fatukasi     Davis

Edge: Barnett    Basham     Huff

LB: Mosley     Cashman     Luvu

LB: Hewitt     Langi

CB: Austin     Mukuamu

CB: Hall     Jackson

CB: Poole     Guidry

FS: Maye     Farley

SS: Davis     Harvell-Peel

K: Castillo
P: Mann

LS: Hennessy

Aside from QB, a lot of the offensive success will come with the development of Mims. If he becomes what we all hope, a #1 WR, than everything should fall into place. The Defenses success will hinge on the development of our outside corners.

I cant wait to see what Douglas does this offseason. I have faith in him and believe he will have us competing in short order.

For a guy like me who hates Mock drafts I must say I really like your offseason moves especially your second round pick in the draft. The only thing I am nervous about is what happens if we don't get Corey Davis.  Davis is becoming a big star in the NFL, I don't know whether he is making Tannehill look good or Tannehill makes him look good. Either way we still need that fourth wider receiver.

Your grade for this offseason moves is a   A   Get me Corey Davis and I will make your grade a A+

Edited by doumeyer

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

For a guy like me who hates Mock drafts I must say I really like your offseason moves especially your second round pick in the draft. The only thing I am nervous about is what happens if we don't get Corey Davis.  Davis is becoming a big star in the NFL, I don't know whether he is making Tannehill look good or Tannehill makes him look good. Either way we still need that fourth wider receiver.

Your grade for this offseason moves is a   A   Get me Corey Davis and I will make your grade a A+

Thanks. I’m a fan of Corey Davis. He looks good when I watch him play. If I were to do this mock over, I’d probably add a WR in the 3rd round though. But I still like the idea of adding Davis. He compliments Mims, Crowder and Perriman well.