Week 11: WFT vs The Bengals

MikeT14

12 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

It's like people are trying to intentionally not get the point.

But outside of QB we aren’t even close to 30 really anywhere. We need to keep drafting well but we haven’t been picking in the top 5 in previous years and we’ve found Terry Fuller and co. Yes for that top flight LT or QB then yes that’s generally a top 5 player. But you can find the best player in the draft at any pick when you scout the person. I believe in this staff there’s going to be a lot of passers and OL in this class. We have lucked into need meeting value these last few drafts. I think we’re going to take advantage again

4 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But outside of QB we aren’t even close to 30 really anywhere. We need to keep drafting well but we haven’t been picking in the top 5 in previous years and we’ve found Terry Fuller and co. Yes for that top flight LT or QB then yes that’s generally a top 5 player. But you can find the best player in the draft at any pick when you scout the person. I believe in this staff there’s going to be a lot of passers and OL in this class. We have lucked into need meeting value these last few drafts. I think we’re going to take advantage again

If this team were a football player, it would be Reed Doughty. Try hard but not talented enough. We need that top flight talent. Drafting 19th or 20th with THIS team is not gonna cut it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If this team were a football player, it would be Reed Doughty. Try hard but not talented enough.

We’re looking at the floor IMO of the talent level of our top players. Nobody in our CORE is even on a second contract. We’re talking about guys who are just starting to flash for this staff. How are we Reed Doughty when Chase and Montez could explode at any second. Jon Allen could blow up. Payne is always doing work. Kamren Curl just keeps showing up. We’re talking about this team like we are the same ole FA core and aging veteran team. This is just the beginning

trust me I don’t think we’re a juggernaut. I think we’re up and coming with players in some of the key spots who you can win with while missing players in a few spots you have to have with those guys to have a legit chance to win with. But for the first time these pieces we do have are all recent and home drafted prospects. That’s the ultimate key to getting there so we have to keep trusting the drafting process. I also think if there’s a offseason we spend some money it’s this one.

Edited by ripsean21

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I mean, he’s clearly hurt. 

He wasn’t great last year either, so I’ve got no problem bringing in competition. But when he’s been a game-time decision and limited practice every week of late, I can’t say I’m shocked that he’s been inconsistent. 

It’s really weird for him to hit a 50-yarder but then miss a 38-yarder. Maybe he aggravated that groin a little trying to make the 50-yarder but the kicks he’s missed from 45 and in this year are unacceptable.

7 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

We’re looking at the floor IMO of the talent level of our top players. Nobody in our CORE is even on a second contract. We’re talking about guys who are just starting to flash for this staff. How are we Reed Doughty when Chase and Montez could explode at any second. Jon Allen could blow up. Payne is always doing work. Kamren Curl just keeps showing up. We’re talking about this team like we are the same ole FA core and aging veteran team. This is just the beginning

trust me I don’t think we’re a juggernaut. I think we’re up and coming with players in some of the key spots who you can win with while missing players in a few spots you have to have with those guys to have a legit chance to win with. But for the first time these pieces we do have are all recent and home drafted prospects. That’s the ultimate key to getting there so we have to keep trusting the drafting process. I also think if there’s a offseason we spend some money it’s this one.

true that GIF by The Comeback HBO

19 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

58 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Dolphins built on their wins last year.

Wow yeah! Such a great season they had! Still ended up with the 5th overall pick and Tua. I think that’s most likely to be us, we’re going to end up in the 5-10 range and take Zach Wilson, I just hope he’s up to the task and people aren’t getting clouded by his play vs awful competition.

Edited by turtle28

34 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

We need better LB play that I’m sure is a focus of this draft or FA along with OL TE QB S

But that’s like half a starting team. Including by far the most important position. 

The team that rolled us last week before our big comeback just got shut out. By Carolina. This team was rolling us today before Burrow got hurt. We are not good, my friend. We are not playing well. We are not making visible progress, except I guess that Alex Smith is better than the two kid QBs we had in there before him.

Winning 6 games against a trash schedule, losing by 3 TDs against Tom Brady or Drew Brees, and picking 19th with one of the 4-6 worst rosters in football is not a good outcome for us. The players and coaches will feel better about themselves, but good feelings don’t win ballgames next year — good players do. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

It's interesting that you focused on the side of the ball that the team focused to build up first. Which is great. And if we only played defense, you might have a point. 

When I'm calling this team Reed Doughty, I'm referring to the entire team. Not just one unit.

We also get the ball once in awhile. What do we have on offense? Which is my (and I assume others') point. 

• OL is trash. We don't really have a truly dominant player anywhere on the line (including Scherff).
  • RB? We have Gibson. But we play the others instead. Which makes sense in a way given he needs to block better, but that still underscores my point.
  • WR? Only really proven one that has shown more than a season of talent/production is Terry
  • TE?   LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
  • QB? We have a 36 year old guy, who is two years removed from almost losing his leg, starting for us. A journeyman backup who turns the ball over more than a ball washing machine. And a 2nd year player who can't be bothered to put in the work to be better.

If we end up with a top 10 pick and miss out on the top 2 QBs, then getting Sewell or someone of that caliber will help and we roll with Alex next year as we build up. But completely missing out on the top 20 picks because we ended up 6-10 or 7-9 and won this turdheap of a division is a hollow victory and I don't think we should be excited about a division win (which normally I would be) this year given how badly the rest of the teams in it suck.

I'm with you on spending money next year in FA. I'm also with you on the fact that we might be better able to understand who and what we have on this team after this year. I am just looking to give our scouts and F.O. more options to select from when it's their turn to draft. The higher you pick, the more players you get to choose from. I'd rather be the Colts in 1998 than the Chargers.

• Like 1

That said, there really is no good outcome available at this point. They’re not going to be picking high enough to nab Sewell or Parsons or Chase or one of my top 3 QBs. 

So I guess...what the hell? If things are gonna get screwed up anyway, might as well screw them all the way up and win as much as we can. I’d probably rather win the division and make the playoffs than end up with 5 wins, the 12th pick, and an also-ran. 

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If you can’t accept mediocrity I have no idea why you remain a fan of this team. We’ve been mediocre since the 1993-94 season.

One can remain a fan and want this team to do better long-term. IMHO, I'm not sure why someone remains a fan of a team if they expect the team to never actually try (as an organization and long-term) to get better and simply are okay with finishing 3rd and 4th in the division every year.  

Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with this as my expectations for this team year in and year out. I grew up with this team being a dominant team and where NOT going to the playoffs was considered a failed year. I was 21 the last time we won a Super Bowl. I'm 51 now. That's 30 years of waiting for this team to start actually focusing on the long-term rather than just "let's go on a run and get to the playoffs" quick-fixes that never actually do anything.

My day job I see tons of quick fixes. In fact, they were the ones pursued by the companies who had the contract right before me and failed. 

The "we can win the division this year" is the epitome of the quick fix. 

• Like 1