Week 11: WFT vs The Bengals

MikeT14

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That said, there really is no good outcome available at this point. They’re not going to be picking high enough to nab Sewell or Parsons or Chase or one of my top 3 QBs. 

So I guess...what the hell? If things are gonna get screwed up anyway, might as well screw them all the way up and win as much as we can. I’d probably rather win the division and make the playoffs than end up with 5 wins, the 12th pick, and an also-ran. 

The Chargers and Cowboys are winning. That outcome should put us back to the 4th pick. I stand by my belief that we won’t win another game this year. If Burrow finished that game, we were losing. He was carving the defense up. So I think we still end up in Wilson/Lance territory. 

• Like 1

I don’t consider our OL from RG-RT in need of an upgrade, unless we don’t re-sign Scherff. We can’t forget we have a good G, maybe LT prospect in Saahdiq Charles. It sucks he got hurt, we really needed and answer as to if he could be a good LG and be the answer there, also Scherweitzer is a serviceable guard. People laughed at that signing but he’s been solid, I’d hate to think of where we’d be w/o him and Martin was still having to start at LG.

I would love to get an upgrade at WR but I’ve been incredibly impressed by our other WRs NOT named Terry since Alex has become the starter. They look a lot better than they did the first two months of the season.

TE it’s obvious that Logan Thomas shouldn’t be starting and if I hear Rivera or Scotty Turner talk about how well he’s playing and he’s still learning the position after he’s been playing TE now for 4 years in the NFL I think I’m going to pull my hair out! Sprinkle needs to be upgraded too, we need a vet TE who can catch & block - they’re always out there and we chose to go with just Logan Thomas - and we didn’t draft a TE prospect for some reason last draft which was stupid! We absolutely need to sign & draft a TE next off-season, heck, Logan might be the 3rd TE if that happens.

Our LBs suck, we need an upgrade at all 3 positions. I guess maybe, maybe Holcomb could still start if you get an upgrade at MLB & WLB. 

Need to re-sign our FA corners Darby & Moreau and need to draft a FS prospect from rounds 2-5 to compete with Everrett.

Edited by turtle28

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That said, there really is no good outcome available at this point. They’re not going to be picking high enough to nab Sewell or Parsons or Chase or one of my top 3 QBs. 

So I guess...what the hell? If things are gonna get screwed up anyway, might as well screw them all the way up and win as much as we can. I’d probably rather win the division and make the playoffs than end up with 5 wins, the 12th pick, and an also-ran. 

That's what I'll call the "Rex Grossman approach"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

The Chargers and Cowboys are winning. That outcome should put us back to the 4th pick. I stand by my belief that we won’t win another game this year. If Burrow finished that game, we were losing. He was carving the defense up. So I think we still end up in Wilson/Lance territory. 

Of course they are 😂

Lord. Perhaps I should have known better than to put my Survival Pool hopes on the shoulders of the Biggest Loser™️

• Like 1

Plus+

Chase Young: I think he had a good bounce back game. It's disappointing he's not getting sacks but that forced fumble was huge.

Tim Settle is quietly having a solid year. I feel like he's gonna be a guy we won't be able to resign due to allocating money elsewhere and he'll be a good starter.

All the running backs, even Peyton Barber: Great run game today by all. Gibson continues his breakout year. I have no problem with them grinding out plays with Barber. He seems to be reliable and get those 3.5 ypc everytime

Ronald Darby: Maybe his best game so far. He's been a great FA addition.

Minuses:

Receivers besides Terry: SSims had a nice TD grab and Cam Sims had a catch the first play of the game.

LBers: Besides KPL, I barely notice our Linebackers.

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Wow yeah! Such a great season they had! Still ended up with the 5th overall pick and Tua. I think that’s most likely to be us, we’re going to end up in the 5-10 range and take Zach Wilson, I just hope he’s up to the task and people aren’t getting clouded by his play vs awful competition.

He’s the scariest prospect in this class. He has things to work on. But I think he elevates that whole team. But you got to protect that guy. He’s got the legs to frustrate defenses and hurt them. He can also throw the ball like crazy. I’m also pretty much in love with every pass catcher at Florida at this point. Their backup TE is even bigger then Pitts not in height but he’s a big guy that moves pretty well. Then every WR they have plays at 4.3something

• Like 1

The WFT has 3 wins. Dallas has been playing better, I don’t expect us to beat them. I don’t expect us to beat Phila for a second time.

I see no possible outcome where this team wins 4 more games and isn’t picking in the top 10 - unless they win the division at 6-10 - where they could grab Sewell,  Chase, Wilson, Parsons or DeVonta Smith. 

At best we end up with 6 wins and even then we’re probably picking in the 8-10 range unless we win the division at 6-10. 

Edited by turtle28

14 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Plus+

Chase Young: I think he had a good bounce back game. It's disappointing he's not getting sacks but that forced fumble was huge.

Tim Settle is quietly having a solid year. I feel like he's gonna be a guy we won't be able to resign due to allocating money elsewhere and he'll be a good starter.

All the running backs, even Peyton Barber: Great run game today by all. Gibson continues his breakout year. I have no problem with them grinding out plays with Barber. He seems to be reliable and get those 3.5 ypc everytime

Ronald Darby: Maybe his best game so far. He's been a great FA addition.

Minuses:

Receivers besides Terry: SSims had a nice TD grab and Cam Sims had a catch the first play of the game.

LBers: Besides KPL, I barely notice our Linebackers.

I would add Logan Thomas as a minus but besides that I 💯 % support this post!

Love Cam Sims and Steve Sims is showing life lately. We could ppssibly bring back our wr we lost to the jets.

I feel TE are cheaper than WR. I suggest we bring in the best WR free agent we can or trade for one maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick. If we can convert Cam Sims to TE and bring in a free agent WR like Juju even better. Cam Sims is a capable blocker in the run game.

We need to redo our lb core completely .

59 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

One can remain a fan and want this team to do better long-term. IMHO, I'm not sure why someone remains a fan of a team if they expect the team to never actually try (as an organization and long-term) to get better and simply are okay with finishing 3rd and 4th in the division every year.  

Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with this as my expectations for this team year in and year out. I grew up with this team being a dominant team and where NOT going to the playoffs was considered a failed year. I was 21 the last time we won a Super Bowl. I'm 51 now. That's 30 years of waiting for this team to start actually focusing on the long-term rather than just "let's go on a run and get to the playoffs" quick-fixes that never actually do anything.

My day job I see tons of quick fixes. In fact, they were the ones pursued by the companies who had the contract right before me and failed. 

The "we can win the division this year" is the epitome of the quick fix. 

I’m not talking about you, I’m referring to the few who seem to want to go from zero to 100 in one offseason which:

1. Never happens for any team

2. People aren’t being patient enough for a total rebuild and have never been patient enough for a rebuild that takes 3-5 seasons in 27 years!

I was 11 the last time we won the Super Bowl but all I tend to fall more in line of the thinking of @ripsean21 here. Yes, this team has holes, but it’s also true that we don’t have many players who are close to or over 30. As RIP said, I view this as Rivera’s floor.

This roster was not set up to be good this year and the only reason Rivera thinks we can win the division is because the rest of the teams in our division are equally as bad. If the Cowboys and Eagles didn’t have so many injuries to their offenses, I most certainly think both would be over .500 right now but each of them have players starting on their OL that I’ve never heard of and Phila has WRs starting I’ve never heard of.

All of this, we’re going to win enough games to not be picking in the top 10 doesn’t make sense to me either. We’d have to win out for that to happen or win the division w/ 6 wins, both of which I think are unlikely bc we lost to the Giants twice.

I’m almost 100% sure we’ll be picking in the top 10 and I’m almost 100% sure Zach Wilson will be there when we pick and if not him, one of the other prospects we’ve been talking about. I could throw a few more names in there who I think will go top 10 as well that I don’t think we’ll take:

1. Lawrence

2. Fields

3. Sewell

4. Chase

5. Rousseau

6. Surtain 

7. Parsons

8. Farley

9. Devonta Smith

10. Kyle Pitts

Now, Zach Wilson may go a bit higher to us but we’d only be taking him that high bc he’s a QB. I don’t think Wilson is a better prospect than these players.

People need to slow down with the “were blowing it bc of one win stuff.”

We still only have 3 wins, we just beat a team that was actually worse than us who lost their starting/future franchise QB in the game too. It’s not like we showed so much in this game where anyone who wants a top 10 pick or even a top 5 pick should be thinking we’re going to win 4 to 6 more games and not be picking in the top 10, I mean come on guys! 

Edited by turtle28

21 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Love Cam Sims and Steve Sims is showing life lately. We could ppssibly bring back our wr we lost to the jets.

I feel TE are cheaper than WR. I suggest we bring in the best WR free agent we can or trade for one maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick. If we can convert Cam Sims to TE and bring in a free agent WR like Juju even better. Cam Sims is a capable blocker in the run game.

We need to redo our lb core completely .

I’d love it if Kyle Smith convinced Rivera to bring back Jamison Crowder, but the Jets have to cut him first. The only reason I think they may is bc he’s sent to make $11 million next year and bc of his injury history they may not feel he’s worth it, but I think it’s unlikely he’s cut by the Jets.

There are other WRs I think we could/should sign who won’t break the bank if the Sims brothers don’t break out the final 6 games. We also should draft a WR at some point again - either early if we don’t take a QB in round 1 or in the mid rounds to compete for a starting spot.

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

But outside of QB we aren’t even close to 30 really anywhere. We need to keep drafting well but we haven’t been picking in the top 5 in previous years and we’ve found Terry Fuller and co. Yes for that top flight LT or QB then yes that’s generally a top 5 player. But you can find the best player in the draft at any pick when you scout the person. I believe in this staff there’s going to be a lot of passers and OL in this class. We have lucked into need meeting value these last few drafts. I think we’re going to take advantage again

I only mentioned age on QBs.  But look at guys like Peyton Barber, Dontrelle Inman, KPL, Jon Bostic, Thomas Davis........these guys are who we know them to be.  There is nothing more we are going to get out of them.  Most don't even have the history of early success that led us to sign Ronald Darby (save for Thomas Davis, and I can't count him because he's pushing 40.)  That guys like this are getting meaningful snaps on this team, right now at this point in the season, has no excuse.  Even if we are trying to win.........Bostic is bottom of the barrel.  Our guys on the bench behind him can't do worse.  Barber is just taking snaps away from Gibson.  

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

You have to understand, we are probably looking at our starting offense and defense for next year.

Do you expect anything else from Ron Rivera?

I expected that he wouldn't deviate from the course that he set at the start of his tenure.  I expected that, after 4-5 games, that the veterans would yield to the young guys and we would evaluate them in preparation for next year.  

I haven't seen either, and it does NOT give me hope for the future.  

• Like 1