Week 11: WFT vs The Bengals

MikeT14

On 11/22/2020 at 8:39 PM, offbyone said:

First of all, I would love to watch our team in a playoff game even if they get destroyed.  It has been too long since I watched our team in the post season.  This is why I am a fan.

As I have said before, I want to see Washington to become relevant again. I want to be considered a playoff contender year in and year out. Making a run this season and ruining the draft position to not take the best talent (whether that is a desperately needed QB or a stalwart blindside protector) doesn't align with that goal in my mind.

Winning a crown simply because they are the least sucky team in the division doesn't interest me when I know it is meaningless and they'll get pounded in the playoffs.

I will also be charitable and assume that you didn't intend the last sentence quoted to imply that I'm not a fan.

Secondly, if you are correct and we are a D+/C- team, then one player isn't going to make a difference, so why care so much about draft slotting?

Because a strong talent infusion at a critical position like QB or LT would do a lot to raise them a full letter grade. Also, as I have kept saying, it isn't just the first round. Having higher picks in every round allows the team to make deals because teams need to come to them.

As a counterpoint, I would point out that Rivera clearly agreed with your assessment and came to that conclusion last offseason.  Hence, he sat on his hands all offseason and showed zero urgency to improve the team.  Guess what, he blew it.  Because if he was even a little aggressive in free agency and added 2 more solid pieces, we would likely be winning our division by a margin right now.  This is the important lesson.

Because no one expected Philly and Dallas to meltdown as badly as they have.

Had Rivera stuck with the plan they likely would have ended up in the same position as they are now, but players like Cole Holcomb and Antonio Gibson would be getting more playing time at the expense of players who are not part of the longer term plan like Jon Bostic and Peyton Barber. Maybe Dwayne Haskins would have looked much better against worse defenses, thus allowing them to see if he can actually run the team or if they needed a QB. Instead, they're working themselves into believing they can win long term with a 36-year old QB with a titanium rod in his leg.

You should always believe you can win and always try to win every season.

I believe Santa will bring me a pony for Christmas, too!

C'mon now, you have to evaluate the roster honestly.

Fortunes change every season.  Top teams fall, crap teams rise.  This is undeniable.  Football also comes with a lot of luck.  This year, lady luck sent us the worst division in football and we failed to capitalize because we were too focused on the future.  

Here's a funny thing: go back and look at the teams who were predicted to do well outside of the NFC East.

I want Washington to be those teams, not one that depends on luck ravaging our division rivals.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 8:40 PM, turtle28 said:

That’s a hypothetical. That’s like saying well why didn’t we trade down instead of drafting Chase Young bc we could’ve gotten 3 Firsts... I mean come on. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts! 😂 

Yes, it's a hypothetical, but it's a possibility that is only available to the team at the top of the draft. Is it likely? No. But if you are not drafting at that position, the chance is zero.

• Like 1

One interesting thing I saw when finally watching the game today was that they were actually employing a 3-4 alignment for portions of the game. They had all 3 of the DTs in there together with Young and either Sweat or Kerrigan standing. Sort of an intriguing move, wondering if they’re doing it as a counter to some of these schemed up double teams of Young. Harder to meaningfully double him when it’s 5 vs 5 across the LOS. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

It is. Heard he has a 9-12 month recovery. Possibly holding him out until the 2022 season, don’t need to rush him back since they’re in a rebuilding stage. Hope he makes a full recovery. 

I agree, unless he’s truly ready to go next year I’d just have him sit out the 2021 season. I’d put him on PUP in August and see how things go.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, e16bball said:

One interesting thing I saw when finally watching the game today was that they were actually employing a 3-4 alignment for portions of the game. They had all 3 of the DTs in there together with Young and either Sweat or Kerrigan standing. Sort of an intriguing move, wondering if they’re doing it as a counter to some of these schemed up double teams of Young. Harder to meaningfully double him when it’s 5 vs 5 across the LOS. 

Was it on run downs? Perhaps they were doing it bc they’ve sucked vs the run.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

I think @Thaiphoon is more James Brown in this scenario.

You went to UVA. And youre telling me after a 20 year sample size of failure. That Dan Snyder is going to build us a Super Bowl Champion.

I knew another genius just like you. And I know hes a genius because...

wile-e-coyote-super-genius.png?w=420 < See. It says so right there.

And this other genius. He has the same issue you seem to be having. Which is...

thumb_always-fails-still-buys-fromacme-m Only difference is yours would say, "Always fails. Still believes in Snyder."

10 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

You went to UVA. And youre telling me after a 20 year sample size of failure. That Dan Snyder is going to build us a Super Bowl Champion.

thumb_always-fails-still-buys-fromacme-m Only difference is yours would say, "Always fails. Still believes in Snyder."

Apples and oranges.  UVA best compares to Kentucky or Vanderbilt, not Clemson or Alabama.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Apples and oranges.  UVA best compares to Kentucky or Vanderbilt, not Clemson or Alabama.  

UVA meaning hes smarter than to believe in the remedies a bottle of tonic can cure from a snake oil salesman. But buys a case anyway.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I agree, unless he’s truly ready to go next year I’d just have him sit out the 2021 season. I’d put him on PUP in August and see how things go.

He most likely won't be. This is worse than Griffin's injury. He MIGHT be ready by Week 9 or 10 next year, but that isn't a good spot to have your QB test things out. So yeah, they might just keep him on IR.

14 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

He most likely won't be. This is worse than Griffin's injury. He MIGHT be ready by Week 9 or 10 next year, but that isn't a good spot to have your QB test things out. So yeah, they might just keep him on IR.

True but they’re different types of QBs - Griffin’s game revolves around him running - and this injury is about 2 months sooner in the year to Griffin’s meaning Mid Nov vs Mid Jan. 

From now until the start of the 2021 season is 10 months.

Edited by turtle28

On 11/24/2020 at 10:40 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Because I said, Thaiphoon is more like James Brown ... the guy yelling at John Belushi "do you see the light?!" ... the guy who had "[Washington] will never win another Super Bowl as long as Dan Snyder is the owner" in his signature for forever, only to replace it recently with '"The Redskins are the Patriots of dysfunction"  - EaglesPeteC'

You think he and I are buying in with Snyder?

Ah! I think I see the problem.

Go back to your original usage of that link: 

That was in reference to this

On 11/22/2020 at 9:04 PM, lavar703 said:

I guess what really bothers me most about this season is we have nothing at LB, no QB, the offensive line is a mess and we badly need a FS. If they continue this approach of only using the draft to improve whilst doing nothing to add to their pot of draft picks we’re just going to be stuck in this purgatory forever. 

I think you were focused on the underlined section. Thai and I are focused on the bolded one.