RuskieTitan

Titans place Clowney on Injured Reserve

https://www.nfl.com/news/tennessee-titans-place-jadeveon-clowney-knee-on-injured-reserve

The Tennessee Titans have placed edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney on injured reserve and will miss at least three games.

Clowney (knee) had already been ruled out for Sunday's game vs. the Ravens after missing practice all week.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo adds that surgery on Clowney's meniscus has been discussed.

I think we have Landry at OLB, we shifted Evans to practice there, and that's about it. Season has gone down the crapper.

I forgot he played for the Titans. How's that signing working out? 

Should have taken the 3 year / 18 mil per year from Cleveland that was rumored.

Totally screwed himself.

Edited by candyman93

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

I forgot he played for the Titans. How's that signing working out? 

In eight games, the three-time Pro Bowler has 19 total tackles, four tackles for loss, a fumble forced and six QB hits. 

He's made a few splash plays, but largely he's been the king of "almost" making the play.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

He's made a few splash plays, but largely he's been the king of "almost" making the play.

I feel like this is what is going to be written in the obituary of his career

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like this is what is going to be written in the obituary of his career

He's still only 27. Clowney should go play for the Rams next year on a cheap contract. Let Aaron Donald's talent help him finish some of those plays (like Fowler and Floyd have benefited) and then go get your big contract after the season (going into your age-29 season).

Can he play end in a 3-4? I know it wasn’t considered ideal for him when he was a prospect but what he’s turned into as a pro I could see him being good in that role. Could stand to add 10-15 pounds for it though

38 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

This has been the narrative since 2014...

9 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Can he play end in a 3-4? 

Interestingly, this was probably his most productive spot. He's got brute strength without the bulk, he was playing at his highest level when they put him on the 5-tech.

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He's still only 27. Clowney should go play for the Rams next year on a cheap contract. Let Aaron Donald's talent help him finish some of those plays

Clowney played next to prime Watt. So, Donald's talent isn't going to help much.

Warren Sapp once said Clowney is a blind dog in a meat market - he can smell the food, but he can't find it. It's not an issue of blocking assignments or who is drawing double teams, Clowney comes in too hot on most snaps and can't recover. That works in college when you're playing against non-pro talent, but not in the NFL.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Interestingly, this was probably his most productive spot. He's got brute strength without the bulk, he was playing at his highest level when they put him on the 5-tech.

Clowney played next to prime Watt. So, Donald's talent isn't going to help much.

Warren Sapp once said Clowney is a blind dog in a meat market - he can smell the food, but he can't find it.

Clowney only played two years with Watt due to Watt's injuries. In 2015, he didn't do a lot (but that was his second year in the NFL coming off that major knee issue). In 2018, he had 9 sacks and 21 QB Hits. I think he could produce similarly with Donald if he stays on the field. Plus, the Rams have a better DC (if Staley doesn't get a HC job).

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Clowney only played two years with Watt due to Watt's injuries. In 2015, he didn't do a lot (but that was his second year in the NFL coming off that major knee issue). In 2018, he had 9 sacks and 21 QB Hits. I think he could produce similarly with Donald if he stays on the field. Plus, the Rams have a better DC (if Staley doesn't get a HC job).

Is 9/21 a "big contract" stat line - at 29 no less?

I personally don't think so. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Warren Sapp once said Clowney is a blind dog in a meat market - he can smell the food, but he can't find it. It's not an issue of blocking assignments or who is drawing double teams, Clowney comes in too hot on most snaps and can't recover. That works in college when you're playing against non-pro talent, but not in the NFL.

Damn that basically describes his style of play lol.

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is what I envisioned without having any clue if he’s ever tried it as a pro or not. That run stopping ability shouldn’t take much of a hit at all playing at 5 or 3 tech as opposed to edge, and I can even see why he’d fare better as a pass rusher against guards and centers more often as opposed to tackles more often than not. Would certainly be of more help to Kenny Clark than Dean Lowry has been at minimum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

This is what I envisioned without having any clue if he’s ever tried it as a pro or not. That run stopping ability shouldn’t take much of a hit at all playing at 5 or 3 tech as opposed to edge, and I can even see why he’d fare better as a pass rusher against guards and centers more often as opposed to tackles more often than not. Would certainly be of more help to Kenny Clark than Dean Lowry has been at minimum. 

The Texans got a lot out of him at multiple roles - 5, 3, 1 tech was good for him, ILB worked well for him.

Playing ONLY the edge didn't work for him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The Texans got a lot out of him at multiple roles - 5, 3, 1 tech was good for him, ILB worked well for him.

Playing ONLY the edge didn't work for him.

This is why I felt he would’ve thrived within the Ravens defense. Wink could scheme him open for sacks like he does Judon, but we could also utilize him in a similar way to Zadarius Smith and a younger Pernell McPhee where he moves all around the front. I should preface this by saying I don’t think he wouldve been a 15 sack guy or anything, but I think within our scheme he’s a 7-11 sack kind of guy. Somewhere within that variation.

• Like 1