RuskieTitan

Titans place Clowney on Injured Reserve

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Warren Sapp once said Clowney is a blind dog in a meat market - he can smell the food, but he can't find it. It's not an issue of blocking assignments or who is drawing double teams, Clowney comes in too hot on most snaps and can't recover. 

Which is interesting, considering his reputation as a run blocker.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He's still only 27. Clowney should go play for the Rams next year on a cheap contract. Let Aaron Donald's talent help him finish some of those plays (like Fowler and Floyd have benefited) and then go get your big contract after the season (going into your age-29 season).

I think clowney has an ego of wanting to be “the guy.” 

Read rumors that it’s why he didn’t want to play with Myles Garrett and chose Tennessee.

He's still only 27. Clowney should go play for the Rams next year on a cheap contract. Let Aaron Donald's talent help him finish some of those plays (like Fowler and Floyd have benefited) and then go get your big contract after the season (going into your age-29 season).

I dont think Clowney's issue is double teams. He seems to be blocked 1 on 1 already. That said, I think once his contract demands diminish to his production level, he could still be a sold DE for someone. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont think Clowney's issue is double teams. He seems to be blocked 1 on 1 already. That said, I think once his contract demands diminish to his production level, he could still be a sold DE for someone. 

What Donald provides to the EDGE defenders is more than just 1 on 1. Because of the way he collapses the pocket and gets pressure, it tends to force the QB to flush or to back into edge rushers.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Is 9/21 a "big contract" stat line - at 29 no less?

I personally don't think so. 

Well, look at what Fowler just got with 11.5 and 16. Granted, Fowler is much younger. But "big contract" is relative. 

I was never a fan of his even thought that hyped play in college was overrated. That being said I saw. A Terrell suggs like player, butt his pass rushing technique and ability is bad for that high of a pick. I feel like he's playing the wrong position.

Or to a lesser extent is like a less busy version of Aaron Curry. Does Clowney love football? Or was his dream to get paid be paid make it and that's it no motivation anymore?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I was never a fan of his even thought that hyped play in college was overrated. That being said I saw. A Terrell suggs like player, butt his pass rushing technique and ability is bad for that high of a pick. I feel like he's playing the wrong position.

I don't think he was overhyped from a talent perspective. From an athletic profile he fully warranted all the hype.Terrell Suggs was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY less athletic, coming out. Suggs wasn't even an above average athlete. He leaned on good strength and excellent technique, but he did not have any notable explosiveness.

The fact that Clowney ISN'T a top tier superstar is a massive indictment of his own effort/work ethic

Edited by wackywabbit

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The fact that Clowney ISN'T a top tier superstar is a massive indictment of his own effort/work ethic

Dont underestimate instinct as well. Some pass rushers just have a much more natural feel for beating an OT and/or chasing a QB. 

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

with others like you and me noticing this, will he get such a deal by landing on a team with a Donald or prime JJ Watt ? As it is. BoB isn't hiring, and I doubt anyone will give Clowney a deal more than 1 year at a time now.  His lack of production this year won't go unnoticed . Titans really had a bad pair of DE signings this offseason. 0-2 for mid-high profile signings really hurt them this year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

with others like you and me noticing this, will he get such a deal by landing on a team with a Donald or prime JJ Watt ? As it is. BoB isn't hiring, and I doubt anyone will give Clowney a deal more than 1 year at a time now.  His lack of production this year won't go unnoticed . Titans really had a bad pair of DE signings this offseason. 0-2 for mid-high profile signings really hurt them this year.

I often ask myself this about overrated players in perfect situations, but some team proves me wrong every off-season.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Or to a lesser extent is like a less busy version of Aaron Curry. Does Clowney love football? Or was his dream to get paid be paid make it and that's it no motivation anymore?

time will tell, but he might be a gifted athlete cashing in on the nfl.  A few knee injuries could also affect his view towards the league/game.  People can speculate, but until he says anything it's never going to be known. I never saw the reason for the hype, but he was decent playing on a DL with prime JJ Watt.  If he has had this knee issue all season , that also might be a reason for the fail this year.  I doubt he gets a deal for more than 1 year at mid level price. As it was pointed out, he really wasted the chance at a nice offer with the browns.  Garrett, Richardson, Ogunjobi and Clowney might have been a good DL.  I hope the steelers stay away if Dupree leaves because overpriced UFA's never help a team.

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

time will tell, but he might be a gifted athlete cashing in on the nfl.  A few knee injuries could also affect his view towards the league/game.  People can speculate, but until he says anything it's never going to be known. I never saw the reason for the hype, but he was decent playing on a DL with prime JJ Watt.  If he has had this knee issue all season , that also might be a reason for the fail this year.  I doubt he gets a deal for more than 1 year at mid level price. As it was pointed out, he really wasted the chance at a nice offer with the browns.  Garrett, Richardson, Ogunjobi and Clowney might have been a good DL.  I hope the steelers stay away if Dupree leaves because overpriced UFA's never help a team.

I don't think Clowney loves football the way the elite guys typically do. IMO, he's like Randy Moss. He's an elite athlete. He likes the game. But he doesn't love it and dedicate himself to it completely. He's just not as much of a freakish talent as Moss, so he has capped out as good to very good while coasting to some degree.

• Like 4

I often ask myself this about overrated players in perfect situations, but some team proves me wrong every off-season.

Yup. Look at Cory Littleton. 

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

of course he should "go play for the rams" 

I'm going to say this in every Clowney thread until the end of time - but Houston should have taken Mack. That's not being wise after the event either, I was saying it at the time. Lining up Mack at 34 OLB on the same side as Watt at 34DE was an unstoppable combo waiting to happen, and Houston fell for the "safe pick" meme. As someone who has a soft-spot for the Texans it was frustrating to watch.

• Like 1