Week 11 GDT - Dolphins at Broncos

jolly red giant

15 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Hopefully our grounds staff find the soul of that DB who Bolles crushed on the pull block ... My days. Loved Garrett's nonchalant response to it, too. He is so much mature this year.

Heck of a game up front, across the board I thought.

I'm looking forward to watching a bit. The entire OL has been improving in the last few games after a horrendous start. Last week I thought they actually played pretty well.

Did Anderson start again?  Did Cush stay off skates today?

Edited by AKRNA

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I thought Lock played decent after the pick averaged 9 yards per completion and was 18/30 . What's so bad about it

Lots, but you may want to get rid of Locks final 61 yard completion. It meant nothing and he should have been trying to overthrow everybody. Keeping it in play was the only way we could lose that game.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

It was a win - celebrate it

No. Winning meaningless games in transition years can help maintain a winning culture, but that’s not us right now. There’s no winning culture, may as well lose a bunch of games. Lock wasn’t as bad as he has been, but he also wasn’t The Guy. You could say he’s trending up now, but it’s ever so marginally. It would take a lot of incrementalism at that rate to give us hope for his future. 

That win was the difference in draft picks between T-5 (probably in the 9-10 range) and 15th. 

1 minute ago, broncosfan_101 said:

No. Winning meaningless games in transition years can help maintain a winning culture, but that’s not us right now. There’s no winning culture, may as well lose a bunch of games. Lock wasn’t as bad as he has been, but he also wasn’t The Guy. You could say he’s trending up now, but it’s ever so marginally. It would take a lot of incrementalism at that rate to give us hope for his future. 

That win was the difference in draft picks between T-5 (probably in the 9-10 range) and 15th. 

We have no way of knowing how the rest of the season is going to pan out.

As for Lock - not sold on the guy - think he is likely to be a bust - but you do what you can for the rest of the season and see what he brings to the table. If he matures and shows progress then you save a high draft pick.

As for hope for the future - I'm the eternal optimist - I remember before the 1998 superbowl win when Broncos fans were crying and saying that we shouldn't bother trying to get to the superbowl because we would only get blown out. I pointed out at that time that the last time my local team had been in an All-Ireland Final was 1914. We are not good enough to compete yet - but this is a young team with talent and a lot of potential and I think there is every reason to be optimistic.

Your approach would have us losing as many games as possible in order to get high draft picks every year in the hope we strike it lucky - that hasn't worked out too well for the Browns - has it?

I will always want my team to win and I will always celebrate a win - the only downside of beating the Dolphins is that I am stuck with the GDT for next week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

As for Lock - not sold on the guy - think he is likely to be a bust - but you do what you can for the rest of the season and see what he brings to the table. If he matures and shows progress then you save a high draft pick.

As for hope for the future - I'm the eternal optimist - I remember before the 1998 superbowl win when Broncos fans were crying and saying that we shouldn't bother trying to get to the superbowl because we would only get blown out. I pointed out at that time that the last time my local team had been in an All-Ireland Final was 1914. We are not good enough to compete yet - but this is a young team with talent and a lot of potential and I think there is every reason to be optimistic.

Your approach would have us losing as many games as possible in order to get high draft picks every year in the hope we strike it lucky - that hasn't worked out too well for the Browns - has it?

I will always want my team to win and I will always celebrate a win - the only downside of beating the Dolphins is that I am stuck with the GDT for next week.

It was an excellent game day thread! My compliments.

2 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

To be clear, I want the Broncos to win games right now, but only with real progress from the QB. If we have a franchise guy, I’m much more concerned about him getting real winning experience than draft position. 

• Like 1

There appears to be a contingent of the fanbase that is hell bent against Lock.

I’ve seen it for my whole life, I saw it against Cutler, against Plummer, against Griese, against Tebow, and, believe it or not for the kids around here, against Elway. 

It’s fans and it’s the media. Snap judgments are made and then heels get dug in and it’s the end of the story as far as rational, evidence-based decisions get made. It was hot takes before hot takes became the basis of sports opinion-making. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’ve seen it for my whole life, I saw it against Cutler, against Plummer, against Griese, against Tebow, and, believe it or not for the kids around here, against Elway. 

It’s fans and it’s the media. Snap judgments are made and then heels get dug in and it’s the end of the story as far as rational, evidence-based decisions get made. It was hot takes before hot takes became the basis of sports opinion-making. 

I think people just hate the way he looks, confidence, brash arrogance at times. But they fail to realize that may be the very thing that helps him weather this storm.

If you think he's the worst starter to play today or in the league you must have missed jake Luton today 

31 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think people just hate the way he looks, confidence, brash arrogance at times. But they fail to realize that may be the very thing that helps him weather this storm.

If you think he's the worst starter to play today or in the league you must have missed jake Luton today 

Being better than a 6th round rookie playing for one of the least talented teams in the NFL is hardly anything to brag about.

Lock has been so bad this season that looking like a league average player today (after those first couple of really awful drives) gives people optimism. I'm genuinely rooting for Lock, but unless he shows absolutely drastic improvements to finish the season, I don't trust him to be qbotf.

47 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Yeah I don’t agree with any of this.  Arrogance has the effect when you’re not playing well.  Makes you look dumb when you’re not and the team is losing. 

As far as Drew goes I’ll admit I don’t think he’s the guy.  From all of @lomaxgrUK video breakdowns, the fact that the offense is 28th in points per game, and that Drew looks lost out there a large part of the time to me.  I’d love to be proven wrong but I don’t see it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’ve been saying all year that it’s impossible to make a fair, complete evaluation on Lock this year based on the horrid play of the interior offensive linemen. But I also won’t let people piss in my face and tell me Lock was good today. Today wasn’t any sort of step forward. He was a little less bad than he has been. 

• Like 1