Would you rather have a very deep or top heavy receiving corps?

patriotsheatyan

This is no contest. If you have two elite guys, that's more than enough and I'll just roll the dice on health. 

I think it's a more interesting conversation if you only have one of those guys, and then you have like 2 receivers who you'd consider to be outside the top 50 against a team that has 3 receivers locked in between 20-40. 

So would you rather have Nuk  / Kendrick Bourne / Randall Cobb or Cooper Kupp / Darius Slayton / Michael Gallup 

or something like that (you guys can pick your own players, I was just pulling from the y/g list) 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is no contest. If you have two elite guys, that's more than enough and I'll just roll the dice on health. 

I think it's a more interesting conversation if you only have one of those guys, and then you have like 2 receivers who you'd consider to be outside the top 50 against a team that has 3 receivers locked in between 20-40. 

So would you rather have Nuk  / Kendrick Bourne / Randall Cobb or Cooper Kupp / Darius Slayton / Michael Gallup 

or something like that (you guys can pick your own players, I was just pulling from the y/g list) 

What about this one;

Team 1: WR: Hopkins, WR: Perriman, WR: Olzewski, WR: Allison

vs

Team 2: WR: Gallup, WR: Aiyuk, WR: Lazard, WR: Claypool

With Hopkins AND one other elite one, it's like...one of the best receiving corps we've seen in a while, regardless what's below it. But with Hopkins and a string of 3rd and 4th choicers (on most teams) vs a corps of genuine #2s....it's tougher

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

I'll take option 2 in the above, because you can do a LOT with Aiyuk, Claypool and Lazard situationally or in terms of scheme.

The options in the OP are too slanted, but as a GB fan this year really has been a bit of an eye opener in terms of what you can do with scheme fits. GB supposedly had the worst pass catching corps in the entire league without Davante, but GB have kept putting up the points all the same, with Lazard there as the bruiser who run blocks like a monster and moves the chains, and MVS the erratic but extremely dangerous deep guy. Then the likes of Darrius Sheppard, Malik Taylor and EQ have been able to find other spots, along with a heavy pass catching contribution from the RBs. I don't think it's a huge coincidence either that Bob Tonyan has gone from "great athlete, not quite an NFL player" to a legit threat that could consistently put up 700-800+ yards.

I've always had a preference for someone that will kill you with a thousand cuts like Steelers' era Antonio Brown, Michael Thomas or Davante Adams to someone like Tyreek Hill or 
Julio Jones that will rip you for 70 at any moment but can go quiet in between (I prefer watching them as a neutral btw, I'm talking about having on "my team") to overcome schemes, all pro opposition, bad days for the QB, struggling running games and double coverage/zone city, etc, etc - we're also seeing TEs like Kittle play this role. But after that scheme fits seem to me to generally be the best method as they're easier to hit than actual quality WRs (that said I think Lazard has a 8-10 year career of 700+ yard seasons, and possible a 1,000yd season or two in him; I've been a huge fan since he came on the field vs Dallas last year).

It's also cheaper which allows you to invest in your QB/WR1/OL more, as well as your defense which is where I see spending largely heading to in the next few years. If you've got the right guy throwing it, a line that can give him time to scan and distribute, and a WR1 that knows how to get open no matter what, you can plan the rest around that accordingly... on defense not only do you lack this luxury, but this style of more varied and less predictable offense seen by GB/LAR/SF/etc which seems like something that will stick around, specifically pinpoints weak spots and does not relent on them which should force teams to invest well not only in their starting 11 defensive players but the niche role and subpackage guys too. I could be completely wrong on that, but it's just a hunch.

It depends on what the profile of each guy is, if each has a unique skill set they can exploit or if they are 6ft 4.5 speed and average hands, not thanks. 

But if one is a big body guy, another a but er and another is a guy who gets open really well then maybe option 2. 

For the browns, I am of the opinion Baker doesnt need a star wr, but a bunch of good options.

In OP, you cannot pass on Hopkins AND Hill, but going by the title question, I'd much prefer a deep pass catching team over one with one or two good players and nothing after that. You really don't have to look much further than the Patriots dynasty. They had their most success by flooding the field with mediocre pass catchers a the WR TE and RB positions. By having 6 or guys on the field that were capable of getting open and making a play it made it extremely difficult the really stop them. It was a strategy that relied on your 3-5 receiving options being better than the defenses 3-5 air defenders. 

If there are no ego problems, a deep WR core can work.  If you have elite but with ego problems, the team gets compromised . Then also consider what happens when a CB near Revis Island capability is the opponent.  Having a deep WR roster is good as long as the QB will throw it to everyone, as the Steelers are doing this year.  No drama or egos, more of a team and a better record to go with that.

Lets go with the Steelers as an example.     2016 Steelers vs 2020 Steelers.

Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Eli Rogers, Darius Heyward Bey and Cobi Hamilton

OR

Juju, Claypool, Dionte Johnson, James Washington and Ray Ray McCloud

Brown and Bryant were a lethal duo, but everything behind it was average or worse.

Our WR corps in 2020 doesnt have the all world talent Brown was, but overall is much better and more well rounded.

Obviously its a case by case basis, but Ill take what we have now over what we did in 2016.