Coaches, should they be replaced?

resilient part 2

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I think that might not be a sustainable trend, though, seeing as it came against smaller defenses like AZ and GB. Granted, defenses get smaller every year in terms of playing CBs at safety, safeties at LB, and DEs at DT; I just think when your front 5 isn't getting it done, spreading the defense out to create space in bth the run and pass game is more logical than trying to run out of tight formations.

I reserve the right to be wrong about all of this and will be paying closer attention to how our team deploys its personnel in the run game going forward. I know we've been garbage running out of 12 personnel for a while now, but maybe a little more Keith and Rod Smith wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Expectations factored in, they've probably the two best Smiths on the team so far.

Ouch. Nice zinger at the end there.

Seems Zeke is running better with a lead-back this year. I could see how that tips our hand a bit though. For whatever reason the 2 TE sets aren't working like they have in the past, and that has to be execution.  No one is scared of our passing game out of those sets anyhow so the hand is tipped either way. Might as well go with the full back if that's what's working for the run. Which is what happened yesterday.  Wouldn't be surprised to see it more, going forward. I don't think Linehan is going anywhere.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Meh, people act like pass rushers should make an immediate impact, but a lot don't until 3+ years in the league.  

I get that history but it's starting to fade. Garrett, and Bosa. I get those are elites but Even Spence and Yannick Ngakoue tier guys are shining.  Demarcus Lawrence is finally breaking out but this is also his first season not injured or suspended. He missed most of his rookie year, but was maybe our best DE in the playoffs that year.

Any absolutes about what Taco will end up being, are a little early IMO. Having said that I'm sure the Cowboys front office is a little disappointed in the initial product.  I'm sure they ambitiously hoped he could take the DE spot opposite DLaw, but would settle for him being 3rd off the bench. He's currently neither, and I often wonder if he is active. Lawrence, Mayowa, Moore, Irving, Even Tyrone Crawford would slide to DE before Taco. About the only guy Taco beats out is Tapper. He's on IR but already has a sack this year(his first year).

Obviously that's dissapointing.

2 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Oh, you mean the one that also has Myles Jack in front of him???

Yeah, that guy. Speaking of Myles Jack, who was that 6'2, 220+ lb. LB with the serious knee injury we drafted ahead of him???

These are the reasons why the Cowboys defense is horrible. Besides Lawrence and Lee, the gambles that they have made have not come to fruition. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Derek Barnett hasn't performed any better for the Eagles so far.

Really... Has Barnett flashed at all in Eagles games? Has he came close to a sack? Do the TV broadcasters mention Barnett during the game?

Because in Taco's case it's a no on all three of those questions. As DaBoys said, a couple of us even forget or even notice when he's out there.

22 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Yeah, that guy. Speaking of Myles Jack, who was that 6'2, 220+ lb. LB with the serious knee injury we drafted ahead of him???

These are the reasons why the Cowboys defense is horrible. Besides Lawrence and Lee, the gambles that they have made have not come to fruition. 

Jack had injury concerns as well. Most of the reports were that Jack would be able to play right away, but may only last for a couple seasons while Jaylon's was expected to keep him out for a year or so but he'd be able to have a longer career.

And I mean...he played in and started 10 games his rookie year, and only came up with half a sack...and so far only has 1.5 sacks through five games. So...don't really get being upset we passed on him.

As others have mentioned, I'd hang onto Garrett. But we have to get with the times both offensively and defensively. Get creative on offense while retaining the run first, power offense mentality. And for the love of chicken wings, we have to do something different on defense. We actually have a little bit of talent, but I feel like they are all being miscast and are set up to fail.

2 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

As others have mentioned, I'd hang onto Garrett. But we have to get with the times both offensively and defensively. Get creative on offense while retaining the run first, power offense mentality. And for the love of chicken wings, we have to do something different on defense. We actually have a little bit of talent, but I feel like they are all being miscast and are set up to fail.

Garrett is just as big of a problem, though. How many times does he need to screw up the same situation before people accept the fact that he can't coach? His situational playcalling has always been suspect at best, and his clock management is arguably as bad as (or worse than) Andy Reid's.

Painfully rewatching the game.  I'll have more later but:

Another thing about the TWill-drop-pick-6  thing.

There's 10 minutes left in the 4th and we are winning.  We are running all over them. It's 2nd and 7 and the 2nd play of the series.  

Why the need to pass right there?  Hindsight is 20/20, and TWill should have caught it, but we were smashing on the ground.

Also that play was one of the 13 snaps K.Smith played.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:12 PM, Danger said:
On 10/8/2017 at 11:07 PM, Desperado82 said:

Garrett pounded the table for Charlton. Our scouts wanted Watt. 

Derek Barnett hasn't performed any better for the Eagles so far.

I dont remember this whole pounding the table thing..... I havent heard that at all. 

On 10/9/2017 at 1:17 PM, Desperado82 said:

I think most people aren't saying we didn't run enough...we just didn't run when we should have. Basically, we aren't playing smart situational football. 

I watched the replay of the game last night and I think you nailed it here. Regardless of what transpired in the first 3 quarters and much of the fourth, this team had two opportunities to utilize the run game and close the deal on GB.

1. was less of a percentage. On second down when we threw close to our own goal line and the ball was intercepted and returned for a go ahead TD. If we ran and got a 1st down, we would have eaten at least 35 more seconds off the clock. If we didn't get the first down, same result. And even if GB scored, it would have likely taken more time off the clock via 3rd down results and the punt and whatever drive they would have needed to score.

2. This was the dagger. ESPECIALLY considering how we lost in the playoffs with only half the time remaining for that game (35 seconds). In this game it was 2nd and 1 from our 10 yard line with 1:18 seconds to go. We passed and it was incomplete stopping the clock.

Had we run, make it or not, GB either uses their last TO or we take another 35 seconds off the clock. Let us assume we make it and they call TO. Now it is 1st and goal from the 9 with 1:13 left. No guarantee we score, but they haven't stopped us in the red zone all game, except for the 1st drive and that bogus penalty, but this late in the game and their D was tired. We were gashing them with the run game.

Without question, this is where we lost this game. If we ran, got the first forced their last TO. Just one more running play would have taken it under 30 seconds. With three plays to go I like our chances with our offense of scoring the game winner leaving Rodgers about 20 to 30 seconds and no TO. Even the most accurate sideline passer would need at LEAST 6 seconds a play to get into game tying FG range.

Chances would have been extremely thin.

That my friends is how our coaching staff cost us this game.

Archived