Coaches, should they be replaced?

resilient part 2

8 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Then he should have hired a coach to do that. But he should let JG and his staff handle it their way. Until he is ready to replace them, it needs to be Redball's team. 

I do agree. I'm just saying, I'd flip out if I was writing the checks too. In its entirety, it's all unacceptable on every level. 

2 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

So who do we like as a potential replacement? Jim Bob Cooter anyone? George Edwards? Josh McDaniels? Matt Patricia? Steve Wilks? Someone else?

Dave Toub - Well respected throughout the NFL, Has had name thrown around for years, at some point someone needs to pull the trigger.
Teryl Austin - Same boat as Toub. 
Steve Wilks - Good mention. He's developed some really good players in Carolina. 
Russ Grimm - Whatever happened here? His name was thrown around frequently a few years ago. 

McDaniels deserves another shot, but NE assts make me nervous. 

12 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Dave Toub - Well respected throughout the NFL, Has had name thrown around for years, at some point someone needs to pull the trigger.
Steve Wilks - Good mention. He's developed some really good players in Carolina. 
Russ Grimm - Whatever happened here? His name was thrown around frequently a few years ago. 

All good names. I agree on McDaniels, and I guess Patricia falls into that category as well. The McVay/Phillips combo makes me wonder about a Cooter/someone like Spagnuolo who will probably be out with McAdoo.

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Frankly, it's a horrible list.  The only one that I'd consider a potential upgrade is McDaniel and he scares the hell out of me after his Denver experience.  Would Jerry defer to any of those guys?  Probably not.  Now, if Bruce Arians gets fired, I'd be interested.  Otherwise, I don't know if any of them are upgrades.

From the college ranks, I'd be interested in Chris Petersen.  I just don't think we can or should make a change for the sake of change.

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Problem is not with Garret it is with the assistants. We need to keep JG becaue he knows how to draft.

Wrong. The problem is both. Garrett has proven time and time again that he can’t make adjustments regardless of who the other coaches are. HE is the problem.

11 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

The only one that I'd consider a potential upgrade is McDaniel and he scares the hell out of me after his Denver experience.  

- Nobody knows whether they're upgrades or not, they haven't been HCs. Agree with McDaniel part. He's going to get another opportunity somewhere, I'd prefer it not be Dallas. As I said earlier, I'd be leery of any NE asst. 

Would Jerry defer to any of those guys?  Probably not.

- Always possible, but I believe SJ and McClay have far more influence on what happens. JJ is going to be JJ regardless.   

Now, if Bruce Arians gets fired, I'd be interested.  Otherwise, I don't know if any of them are upgrades.

- Would absolutely be on board with Arians. That would be a no brainer hire imo. As for not knowing, again nobody knows, Wouldn't scare me off though.

From the college ranks, I'd be interested in Chris Petersen.  

- Wouldn't be opposed to Peterson. Also thought about Harbaugh/Shaw, but think both are sitting on dream jobs as is. Dabo Swinney was another. 

I just don't think we can or should make a change for the sake of change.

- After 7 seasons? I don't think that is a change for the sake of change situation. Taking one step forwards, one backwards has run its course. JG does great with a healthy roster, put one dent in that and it goes to hell. I like the guy, I really do, but running in circles isn't cutting it. 

2 hours ago, TVScout said:

Problem is not with Garret it is with the assistants. We need to keep JG becaue he knows how to draft.

So Garrett needs his 3rd new OC since having his playcalling stripped and his 4th new DC since getting the job full time? That’s what’s wrong with this team?

I don’t know how many coaches have gotten that sort of leeway, or what Garrett’s done to earn it.

After what I have seen the last 3 weeks, it is apparent to me that the coaching is the team's biggest problem at this point.  At the very least, the coordinators need to be changed over.  But I am ready to cut bait with Garrett as well.  Been our HC since 2010 and has an average record.  We can not seem to find any consistency from year to year and we have a lot of trouble adjusting to the personnel when there is a key injury (which every team deals with more or less).  JG has done some good things here, but I think his time has come.

37 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

So Garrett needs his 3rd new OC since having his playcalling stripped and his 4th new DC since getting the job full time? That’s what’s wrong with this team?

I don’t know how many coaches have gotten that sort of leeway, or what Garrett’s done to earn it.

None, and nothing.

7 minutes ago, roysmyboy31 said:

After what I have seen the last 3 weeks, it is apparent to me that the coaching is the team's biggest problem at this point.  At the very least, the coordinators need to be changed over.  But I am ready to cut bait with Garrett as well.  Been our HC since 2010 and has an average record.  We can not seem to find any consistency from year to year and we have a lot of trouble adjusting to the personnel when there is a key injury (which every team deals with more or less).  JG has done some good things here, but I think his time has come.

It’s not the coordinators. We’ve been through this before. Garrett is the problem. Dumping coordinators (again) is doing nothing but treating a symptom but not the disease. Garrett and Jerry Jones are the disease. Unfortunately, nothing will happen with Jerry until he drops dead, but Garrett can (and should) be replaced with someone who’s actually competent.

1 minute ago, plan9misfit said:

It’s not the coordinators. We’ve been through this before. Garrett is the problem. Dumping coordinators (again) is doing nothing but treating a symptom but not the disease. Garrett and Jerry Jones are the disease. Unfortunately, nothing will happen with Jerry until he drops dead, but Garrett can (and should) be replaced with someone who’s actually competent.

I don't disagree.  Though I am wondering what kind of coach we would get given Jerry's influence.  That factor drives plenty of good candidates away.

1 minute ago, roysmyboy31 said:

I don't disagree.  Though I am wondering what kind of coach we would get given Jerry's influence.  That factor drives plenty of good candidates away.

Agreed. Very few (if any) reputable coaches will want to work for that meddling idiot unless he contractually relinquishes control to his coach. The only time that happened was with Jimmy Johnson.

Archived