Coaches, should they be replaced?

resilient part 2

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

Ladies and gentleman. I present to you, the law of averages. 2 years ago, you guys were horrible, last year you were legit contenders, this year who knows where you'll go? Sometimes things just go your way sometimes they don't.

Pretty much.

2015: 1-7 in one score games, -22 turnover differential (wow)

2016: 7-2 in one score games, +5 turnover differential (really +7 but for garbage time Mark Sanchez)

2017: 0-2 in one score games, -2 turnover differential

As much as the free agent losses and tougher schedule, the source of our team's regression is simple regression to the mean.

I don't mind keeping Garrett and Linehan. I don't want to see Dak having to learn a new system already, could stunt his growth unless we had a guru a la Mcvay come in.

Rod however is a different story. His defense is always so soft and predictable. I can't even remember how many 3rd and longs that have been completed on us or how many drives we need a stop and the D just breaks. We need fresh blood and creativity.

I find it interesting that the Cowboys have had so much success on offense by building up front along the line but seem to take the opposite approach on defense.  I know you guys just took Taco, but most of Dallas' high picks on defense have concentrated on CBs and Safeties.  The only front 7 players they seem to take high are seriously high risk picks like Gregory, Carter and the kid from ND.

You would think they would adapt an ideology that they wanted to dominate the LoS on both sides of the field, but your front office seems to be in love with defensive backs.

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I find it interesting that the Cowboys have had so much success on offense by building up front along the line but seem to take the opposite approach on defense.  I know you guys just took Taco, but most of Dallas' high picks on defense have concentrated on CBs and Safeties.  The only front 7 players they seem to take high are seriously high risk picks like Gregory, Carter and the kid from ND.

You would think they would adapt an ideology that they wanted to dominate the LoS on both sides of the field, but your front office seems to be in love with defensive backs.

We seem to think that we can take other teams DL castoffs and something magical will happen and we will turn them into players.  It doesn't work.  Players have ceilings.  The ceiling on our DL is low.

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You have no idea how some of us have argued this exact sentiment over the past few or more years.

Just now, Northland said:

We seem to think that we can take other teams DL castoffs and something magical will happen and we will turn them into players.  It doesn't work.  Players have ceilings.  The ceiling on our DL is low.

Don't you think it's weird to prioritize the line so much on one side and not the other?  I mean if you think you need to have this amazing Oline to make your offense work (which is has) wouldn't you sit and say, hmmm, what's the best way to keep other teams from doing this to us?  Idk, maybe by putting up the best talent we can to screw up their Olines.  

Causing pressure is everything.  You guys lost to one of the great QBs in NFL history today.  No secondary can defend long enough to stop a guy like that.  You stop him by hitting him and making him throw it  before he wants to.

Anyways, just my two cents.

Dallas got 4 sacks today, putting us up to 16 on the season, 2nd in the league behind Carolina- all from the DL today, by the way, as opposed to the playoff game when our 3 sacks on Rodgers all came from DBs. Anyone who thinks we lost this game because we couldn't pressure Rodgers is just letting the narrative write itself instead of putting serious thought into their critique.

We've spent 4 of our last 8 Top 60 picks on front 7 players, 3 of them on the defensive end position specifically. The problem is that the only one meaningfully contributing to the team is Demarcus Lawrence, in his last season on a discount. The real problem, IMO, besides just whiffing on guys early in the draft, is the lack of interest in the defensive tackle position.

We entered the season with two solid starters at DT backed up by some DE/DT hybrids and a second year UDFA we signed in September. Predictably, Paea is hurt with the same knee problem we knew about, Collins has yet to quite break out as we've hoped, and, well Brian Price is fine I guess. Without Sean Lee, our team is just getting obliterated against the run. That's what's making our defense look bad, even though Rodgers only completed passes on roughly half of his dropbacks- we can't put the opposing QB in disadvantageous down and distances because we can't stop the run.

And the reason our team shows a willingness to draft DBs with first round that's synonymous with the OL but not the DL is because of snap count percentages. I don't know if that's a full justification, but regardless it's highly disingenuous to suggest this team has some sort of infatuation with drafting DBs high that isn't shared by successful organization (see: last year's Giants, this year's Chiefs). It's just a hot button to throw out and pretend you know better without factual basis.

37 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I find it interesting that you don't know what you are talking about

3 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

I find it interesting that you don't know what you are talking about

I mean, it's not just him though. We're on pace for 51 sacks this year, with every last one of them coming from the defensive line. Even if that somehow held up through 16 games, the existence of our pass rush would still be disputed.

The spare parts argument works when you're starting dudes like Jeremy Mincey and George Selvie. But guys like David Irving and Damonte Moore are legit talents who fell through the cracks due to off field questions.

Archived