Coaches, should they be replaced?

resilient part 2

Regardless this teams issues are on defense not offense. You don't have to be a run game guru to get results from Zeke.  Linehan did enough to win yesterday. I just think he could have protected his D better at the end.  Isn't that why we drafted Zeke?

Dak is currently 8th in pass attempts. Zeke is currently 2nd in rush attempts. The team is trying to run as many plays as possible throughout the game to wear out the opposing defense and keep ours out of sight. The results... have been mixed.

I mean Zeke was barely averaging 2 YPC in the first half but ends up right at 4 on 29 carries. That seems like commitment to the run game to me. We trying to Larry Johnson this kid?

3 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Dak is currently 8th in pass attempts. Zeke is currently 2nd in rush attempts. The team is trying to run as many plays as possible throughout the game to wear out the opposing defense and keep ours out of sight. The results... have been mixed.

I mean Zeke was barely averaging 2 YPC in the first half but ends up right at 4 on 29 carries. That seems like commitment to the run game to me. We trying to Larry Johnson this kid?

I think most people aren't saying we didn't run enough...we just didn't run when we should have. Basically, we aren't playing smart situational football. 

5 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I think most people aren't saying we didn't run enough...we just didn't run when we should have. Basically, we aren't playing smart situational football. 

I guess. That throw to Dez falls more on Dak than SL, IMO, unless we don't want to give our QB the freedom to execute those RPOs he's done a consistently great job of executing. Certainly,  regardless of whether he's even thinking about throwing that pass, they needed to drain that play clock down to one instead of snapping the ball with 14 seconds to spare. That's definitely on Prescott.

But I think you have to take the game- and season- on a more macro level when trying to extrapolate past the bye week as we try to come back from 2-3 to win the division. In that sense, this was, by far, the hardest we've had to work for our rush yards against GB in our last 5 games against them. Our YPC on first down is roughly half of what it was last year. Commitment to the run game got Zeke up from 12/26 in the second quarter to 29/116 in the fourth, but lack of efficiency early on potentially prevented us from putting the game earlier. So I just don't think play-calling in that department is nearly as much to blame as execution.

11 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I wouldn't mind DeMarco Murray-ing him. I think cheifs RBs were a product of their OL and scheme. Preist Holmes was doing the exact same things. Murray seems to still have it, he has a longer long than Zeke, though I think age not carries would start to slow him down.

It's also the type of formations we run out of. Shotgun, singleback, 3 wide etc.. We hardly ever use a FB and the % of 2 TE sets has decreased considerably from last year. It was using the FB that got the run game moving in the 2nd half. Credit to Linehan for doing that, but it seems obvious to do. 

Also, with most of these RPOs, it comes from shotgun 11. Which is a shotgun, single back, 3 wide formation right? And the defenses have been selling out on the run right? So you have Dak in the gun with 3 wide against a stacked box and he has the option to call a run. Which leads to him passing 50 times a game. Blame falls on Dak cause he had the option to run.

17 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I wouldn't mind DeMarco Murray-ing him. I think cheifs RBs were a product of their OL and scheme. Preist Holmes was doing the exact same things. Murray seems to still have it, he has a longer long than Zeke, though I think age not carries would start to slow him down.

Yeah I gotta be honest, I'm surprised Murray's still going like he is. I think Dallas knew they were running him into the ground in '14 with no intention of retaining him. I think any 400+ touch season from Zeke before the end of his contract would be an indication of the same thing.

But if you're going to make that comparison, don't you have to acknowledge that in 2014, in Linehan's first season as OC, we gave Murray 392 carries- more than any player had received in a single season since Johnson in '06. In 2013? Murray got 217 carries in 14 games. This includes a game against the Packers where he went 18 for 134 and a TD, and we lost to Matt Flynn in a game where we absolutely, unequivocally, passed too much and lost as a result. This despite having Bill Callahan, renowned offensive line coach and "running game coordinator" at OC that season.

So maybe it's just simplistic to blame the OC for not running the ball enough. Maybe there's other factors- QB, HC, god knows what else. Or maybe it's just not that valid of a criticism.

9 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

It's also the type of formations we run out of. Shotgun, singleback, 3 wide etc.. We hardly ever use a FB and the % of 2 TE sets has decreased considerably from last year. It was using the FB that got the run game moving in the 2nd half. Credit to Linehan for doing that, but it seems obvious to do. 

Also, with most of these RPOs, it comes from shotgun 11. Which is a shotgun, single back, 3 wide formation right? And the defenses have been selling out on the run right? So you have Dak in the gun with 3 wide against a stacked box and he has the option to call a run. 

I know we had plenty of success running the ball under center in 12/21/22 personnel last year, but that just hasn't been replicated at all this year. If you want to say that's just because we're not doing it enough, then fine. Sure. No amount of 1-2 yard carries on 1st down will prove or disprove that because the team just isn't going to keep running into a brick wall. But I think the tape and the stats would strongly indicate that we're just not creating nearly as much space in those formations... with the exception of the second halves of the AZ and GB games, where we eventually created creases... because the team stayed committed to the run game despite the early struggles.

6 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Yeah I gotta be honest, I'm surprised Murray's still going like he is. I think Dallas knew they were running him into the ground in '14 with no intention of retaining him. I think any 400+ touch season from Zeke before the end of his contract would be an indication of the same thing.

But if you're going to make that comparison, don't you have to acknowledge that in 2014, in Linehan's first season as OC, we gave Murray 392 carries- more than any player had received in a single season since Johnson in '06. In 2013? Murray got 217 carries in 14 games. This includes a game against the Packers where he went 18 for 134 and a TD, and we lost to Matt Flynn in a game where we absolutely, unequivocally, passed too much and lost as a result. This despite having Bill Callahan, renowned offensive line coach and "running game coordinator" at OC that season.

So maybe it's just simplistic to blame the OC for not running the ball enough. Maybe there's other factors- QB, HC, god knows what else. Or maybe it's just not that valid of a criticism.

I know we had plenty of success running the ball under center in 12/21/22 personnel last year, but that just hasn't been replicated at all this year. If you want to say that's just because we're not doing it enough, then fine. Sure. No amount of 1-2 yard carries on 1st down will prove or disprove that because the team just isn't going to keep running into a brick wall. But I think the tape and the stats would strongly indicate that we're just not creating nearly as much space in those formations.

Well play calling is always easy to complain about. Everyone would do it differently, even the pros. You could line up 32 OCs in the same situation and get 32 different play types.

Also I believe 2014 and 2016 were Scott Linehan protecting his QBs. A beat to hell Romo, on his last leg, who couldn't get touched in '14, and a young rookie 4th rounder who couldnt get exposed in 2016. Neither of those years were what Linehan likes to do. He should go back to that.

I'll forget '15 because I don't think Jimmy could win with that roster.

And it's not just "commitment" to the run that is opening things up in the 2nd. They changed how they were running.  They made an adjustment. They started running out of 2 back sets, and had more success with that. It's not like the shotgun dive finally started working. 

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

And it's not just "commitment" to the run that is opening things up in the 2nd. They changed how they were running.  They made an adjustment. They started running out of 2 back sets, and had more success with that. It's not like the shotgun dive finally started working. 

I think that might not be a sustainable trend, though, seeing as it came against smaller defenses like AZ and GB. Granted, defenses get smaller every year in terms of playing CBs at safety, safeties at LB, and DEs at DT; I just think when your front 5 isn't getting it done, spreading the defense out to create space in bth the run and pass game is more logical than trying to run out of tight formations.

I reserve the right to be wrong about all of this and will be paying closer attention to how our team deploys its personnel in the run game going forward. I know we've been garbage running out of 12 personnel for a while now, but maybe a little more Keith and Rod Smith wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Expectations factored in, they've probably the two best Smiths on the team so far.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Regardless this teams issues are on defense not offense. You don't have to be a run game guru to get results from Zeke.  Linehan did enough to win yesterday. I just think he could have protected his D better at the end.  Isn't that why we drafted Zeke?

Yup. They drafted Zeke in 2016 because "our best defense is our offense" type of crap, which made no sense because they let Murray walk right out the door in 2015. But then the very next year, they let their entire secondary go in free agency and decides to draft 3 corners. Gee, I wonder how that 6'1 200+ lb. corner with (apparently) no ball skills Dallas passed on in the 16 Draft is doing right now???

15 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I find it interesting that the Cowboys have had so much success on offense by building up front along the line but seem to take the opposite approach on defense.  I know you guys just took Taco, but most of Dallas' high picks on defense have concentrated on CBs and Safeties.  The only front 7 players they seem to take high are seriously high risk picks like Gregory, Carter and the kid from ND.

You would think they would adapt an ideology that they wanted to dominate the LoS on both sides of the field, but your front office seems to be in love with defensive backs.

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, CHRIST ON HIS THRONE, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Yup. They drafted Zeke in 2016 because "our best defense is our offense" type of crap, which made no sense because they let Murray walk right out the door in 2015. But then the very next year, they let their entire secondary go in free agency and decides to draft 3 corners. Gee, I wonder how that 6'1 200+ lb. corner with (apparently) no ball skills Dallas passed on in the 16 Draft is doing right now???

Oh, you mean the one that also has Myles Jack in front of him???

Archived