Bengals QB Joe Burrow tears ACL, MCL and has other structural issues

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

To be fair to the Bengals, they took a 1st round C in 2018 and a 1st round LT in 2019 before their franchise QB pick in 2020. 

It's not that they haven't tried. They just perpetually suck.

Oh, they’ve definitely tried, but aside from Jonah at OT, they knew the rest of that OL was garbage. It’s essentially “involuntary manslaughter” instead of Murder 1 or 2.

Very similar to Wentz’s injury. Wentz got it a few weeks later in the season, and came back by week 3, but A) that team had SB aspirations and B) in hindsight, it was too soon since he didn’t yet trust the knee and that indirectky lead to a back injury that kept him further sidelined.

Has never been the same athlete, but nothing drastic, went from maybe 100% to 90% in terms of speed and agility in my estimation. Carson being garbage in 2020 has nothing to do w/ his knee injury, physically at least.

Sucks that his development will have to take 1 year break, and for Bengals that’s 1 less year he’s under the rookie deal, but I don’t think this is career altering. 

3 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

This sucks. I was really loving what I was seeing from him. Given a top 5 pick and them improving their OL, I was really high on his future.

So what do the Bengals do now? Say they finish in top 3 of the draft?

Take Penei Sewell and profit.

Pretty obvious imo. This isn't ideal or course but no reason to think Burrow can't come back from this. Not like he was heavily reliant on running to begin with. Just going to push back the playoff aspirations/competing a year or so.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Pretty obvious imo. This isn't ideal or course but no reason to think Burrow can't come back from this. Not like he was heavily reliant on running to begin with. Just going to push back the playoff aspirations/competing a year or so.

100% cosign. 

13 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I don't disagree that he'll bounce back - he's got the time and work ethic to bounce back from this injury. Deshaun Watson tore his knee up his rookie season, and has bounced back just fine over the past few years.

The one thing that is a concern - that's his left knee, which is a QBs "drive" leg. That leg is critical in a QB stepping into a throw and putting pop into his follow through - you plant with the back leg, but drive with the front leg when throwing on platform, and that might get impacted with this injury.

I hear "structural damage" as well, and that makes me think meniscus. Pure speculation on my part, but there is going to need to be stability work to get that drive leg back in football shape.

It's not career altering, I'm pretty positive we'll see Burrow back on top of his game in short order, but something to be mindful of...

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't disagree that he'll bounce back - he's got the time and work ethic to bounce back from this injury. Deshaun Watson tore his knee up his rookie season, and has bounced back just fine over the past few years.

The one thing that is a concern - that's his left knee, which is a QBs "drive" leg. That leg is critical in a QB stepping into a throw and putting pop into his follow through - you plant with the back leg, but drive with the front leg when throwing on platform, and that might get impacted with this injury.

I hear "structural damage" as well, and that makes me think meniscus. Pure speculation on my part, but there is going to need to be stability work to get that drive leg back in football shape.

It's not career altering, I'm pretty positive we'll see Burrow back on top of his game in short order, but something to be mindful of...

Oh no doubt. But it seems as if people think this is career ending/threatening. Far from the first time we've seen an injury like this.

It's far from ideal, and it won't be easy, but as you alluded too...I have little doubt Joe will be back at the top of his game in the he not too distant future. 

The reason Burrow got hurt/there's been worry? The porous offensive line they've sacked him with. This draft, there's what most view as a generational talent at a premium position at a massive hole/need (I know they have Jonah there, but they can figure that out). Easy decision imo. They're definitely not going with a QB (although, I would say there is a chance had they got 1st overall which just isn't happening).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

They need to go all in on the OL. It seems like Hopkins and Williams are pieces you can build around. Draft Sewell and plan on bringing in at least another starter or two (I don't know how Jordan has fared). Also, fire their god awful OL Coach.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

They need to go all in on the OL. It seems like Hopkins and Williams are pieces you can build around. Draft Sewell and plan on bringing in at least another starter or two (I don't know how Jordan has fared). Also, fire their god awful OL Coach.

Agreed. Not sure how FA looks but that should be viewed as an outlet too given the fact a legit veteran presence/someone they can count on from the get go would be ideal on that unit.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Really sucks that he couldn't even finish one season before having a major injury like this. This will pretty much tank any mobility/speed he had, I just hope he is able to recover and still be the QB he was looking to be and hopefully Cinci can get him some help on the OL moving forward.

Nah look at Teddy who had exact same, or worse if I’m not mistaken, and looks as mobile as he was prior injury. It’ll just take time.