Bengals QB Joe Burrow tears ACL, MCL and has other structural issues

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

They need to go all in on the OL. It seems like Hopkins and Williams are pieces you can build around. Draft Sewell and plan on bringing in at least another starter or two (I don't know how Jordan has fared). Also, fire their god awful OL Coach.

Jordan has not played well. He’s still young, but doesn’t look like a longterm starter. Spain has played pretty well, though. 

Sewell-Thuney?-Hopkins-Spain-J. Williams

Make it happen.

I think Schefter just said on the MNF halftime it is ACL, MCL, PCL and meniscus. How extensive the PCL and MCL are torn is a big determining factor on timeline. More severe means a little longer pre surgery time to allow swelling to subside and restore knee range of motion.

If multiple ligaments need to be reconstructed, it slows the early rehab a lot. Straight ACL is brace for 2-4 weeks with day 1 weight bearing as pain tolerance allows. Multiple ligants is braced for 6-8 weeks ( depending on which ligaments it is) and non or partial weight bearing for most of that. Links below

ACL adult athlete pdf Knee multiligament repair/reconstruction

https://www.uwhealth.org/sports-medicine/physical-therapy-athletic-training/sports-medicine-rehabilitation-guidelines/20398

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

the eagles followed the research - maybe there is some luck to not re-injuring as well. Will Burrow have the same results? Why not be on the safe side of this though, it seems like they want him back asap. Booger and Orlovsky  made sense saying 2022 instead of 2021. How many times has it happened when a player returns early and re-injures 

15 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

the eagles followed the research - maybe there is some luck to not re-injuring as well. Will Burrow have the same results? Why not be on the safe side of this though, it seems like they want him back asap. Booger and Orlovsky  made sense saying 2022 instead of 2021. How many times has it happened when a player returns early and re-injures 

There is more research pointing to a timeline of around 9 months being a much safer return with respect to re-injury reduction.  This is based on ACL reconstruction and likely is a bit different for multiligament injuries and surgery/rehab timelines.  

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/50/13/804

Patients who returned to level I sports had a 4.32 (p=0.048) times higher reinjury rate than those who did not. The reinjury rate was significantly reduced by 51% for each month RTS was delayed until 9 months after surgery, after which no further risk reduction was observed. 38.2% of those who failed RTS criteria suffered reinjuries versus 5.6% of those who passed (HR 0.16, p=0.075). More symmetrical quadriceps strength prior to return significantly reduced the knee reinjury rate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 3:42 PM, Kip Smithers said:

Nah look at Teddy who had exact same, or worse if I’m not mistaken, and looks as mobile as he was prior injury. It’ll just take time.

I hope it doesn't end up being as serious as Teddy's injury.  Teddy did end up coming back and being able to move around and play well, but the reason the Vikings ended up moving on from him was because their doctors told him that he only had about a 25% chance of returning to the level he was at before the injury.  I hope for the sake of Joe Burrow and the Bengals that it wasn't as serious and that he has a better chance of complete recovery.

On 11/23/2020 at 3:42 PM, Kip Smithers said:

Nah look at Teddy who had exact same, or worse if I’m not mistaken, and looks as mobile as he was prior injury. It’ll just take time.

Teddy dislocated his knee and tore all the ligaments. And to clarify, that’s his entire knee that dislocated, not his kneecap. This Burrow injury is a cakewalk compared to what Teddy went though. 

• Like 1