Mennenga sucks. Fire Mennenga

25 minutes ago, Norm said:

It has to be a lot of the bodies you have and then the attitude you can get them to play with right? Is there that damn much nuance to it that I just don't understand?

Could be part of it. Another part of it is how often those guys are end of the roster guys and the turnover is a bit higher than the other groups. Sure, it effects position groups as well but position groups always have their staples, which, unless you have an all-world special teamer like Matthew Slater, the same can't really be said about ST.

• Like 1

The 3 big ST screwups this year:

Blocked punt in Houston

Lsv1x5n.gif

Dexter Williams ******* sucks

Punt return TD in Jacksonville

M43nMPe.gif

Note Ty Summers and James Burgess here.

kN4Ru5y.png

Both of these scrubs get stuck on their blocks.

7je7lUo.png

So you've kicked to the right, and you're trying to box the returner in, Blue L, except the two idiots who are supposed to be the top of the box are still at the line.

wqqRyND.png

Punt return TD in Philly:

Waiting for the All-22

Edited by AlexGreen#20
54 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The 3 big ST screwups this year:

Blocked punt in Houston

Lsv1x5n.gif

Dexter Williams ******* sucks

Punt return TD in Jacksonville

M43nMPe.gif

Note Ty Summers and James Burgess here.

kN4Ru5y.png

Both of these scrubs get stuck on their blocks.

7je7lUo.png

So you've kicked to the right, and you're trying to box the returner in, Blue L, except the two idiots who are supposed to be the top of the box are still at the line.

wqqRyND.png

Punt return TD in Philly:

Waiting for the All-22

Have we had a positive ST play this year? These were the worst, but every return we've had sucked. We've been better on KR returns I guess.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Have we had a positive ST play this year? These were the worst, but every return we've had sucked. We've been better on KR returns I guess.

Define "better".  According to the broadcast, GB is dead last in average kickoff return.

For the most part, I was accepting of ST because they're considerably better than they were pre-M4.  But hearing that statistic?  C'mon, we can do better, right?

I like Crosby (though I suspect the 4th down aggression isn't completely unrelated to potential wear and tear on Crosby), I like JK Scott (punters can take a while to put it all together).  But the rest?  I don't know what's going on, but GB has been on the poor side of those matchups for the last decade (it feels like).

• Like 1
Just now, Smidgeon said:

Define "better".  According to the broadcast, GB is dead last in average kickoff return.

For the most part, I was accepting of ST because they're considerably better than they were pre-M4.  But hearing that statistic?  C'mon, we can do better, right?

I like Crosby (though I suspect the 4th down aggression isn't completely unrelated to potential wear and tear on Crosby), I like JK Scott (punters can take a while to put it all together).  But the rest?  I don't know what's going on, but GB has been on the poor side of those matchups for the last decade (it feels like).

I meant defending kick returns. Our own returns suck, both punt and kickoff, and have been miserable for awhile.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I meant defending kick returns. Our own returns suck, both punt and kickoff, and have been miserable for awhile.

I wish we would just have a policy to boot it through the end zone on EVERY KO. Sure, they get it at the 25, but it takes away a chance for them to score. Same with punts; our coverage unit blows, so until we have role players on those units who can properly execute those roles, we have to tell Scott to punt it as far as he can and we all know he has the leg to do it.

14 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

I like JK Scott (punters can take a while to put it all together). 

Agreed. Scott took a little time to adjust to life in CFB, but Saban stuck with him and went to bat for him several times because he knew how much talent he had there. The same thing will happen for Scott in the pros and I hope we stick with him. He's having an off year IMHO and isn't being helped by his unit whatsoever. I refuse to pin the blame on him...

16 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

This JK Scott hate has gotten a bit out of hand.  Today's punt returned for a TD didn't seem particularly bad.  The one a few weeks ago was a bomb but not enough hang time for sure.  The game that he had a much-maligned game, he was still netting a not terrible 40+ yards.   We are going for it on fourth around midfield, so he hasn't had too many opportunities, but when he has, his inside-the-ten punts have looked great this year.  He is a + holder.  He's a decent punter.

You guys act likes he's shanking 20 yarders every other punt.

He can't tackle, that's for sure, but I'd rather have my punter not tackling, generally speaking.

One thing for sure, you got your wish for having a punter who doesn't/can't tackle.  My gosh, he can't even get in the way!

The Packers special teams units continue to be special because GB as an organization does not believe they are worth investing in. After years of futility, GB had a golden opportunity to take a major step toward improving the ST when Rizzi was in the building.  Instead of hiring him, they decided his asking price was too high.  A short time later, Rizzi was coaching ST for the Saints. What else do we even need to know about the value GB places on ST?  Fixing them is not seen as a priority.

Edited by Mazrimiv
15 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The Packers special teams units continue to be special because GB as an organization does not believe they are worth investing in. After years of futility, GB had a golden opportunity to take a major step toward improving the ST when Rizzi was in the building.  Instead of hiring him, they decided his asking price was too high.  A short time later, Rizzi was coaching ST for the Saints, and their ST units are now among the best in the league. What else do we even need to know about the value GB places on ST?  Fixing them is not seen as a priority.

Did Rizzi ever go on record as saying "If they'd met my price I'd have stayed" - or something to that effect?

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Could be part of it. Another part of it is how often those guys are end of the roster guys and the turnover is a bit higher than the other groups. Sure, it effects position groups as well but position groups always have their staples, which, unless you have an all-world special teamer like Matthew Slater, the same can't really be said about ST.

Not using Jarett Bush as your ST ace is inexcusable. 

But yeah, moving parts, turnover and usually working with the greenest guys on the roster is hard. It is the definition of small sample size with one down to get the job done.

No excuses, LaFleur.   We’ve seen what happens when that phase isn’t good enough. 

Edited by Refugee

The MLF offense is fine (better than fine, even)

At this point, the real question is how he will react to the deficiencies in the other two phases.  The MLF era will be capped the same way much of the MM era was if he shows the same loyalty to his staff MM did.  Pettine has been the popular target of the fans wrath, but the need for a change at ST is even more obvious.

New or new(ish) head coaches should ALWAYS revamp their coaches in years 2/3/4, more than at any other time.

When he (head coach) is hired, there are only a limited number of guys available to be taken on as Green Bay coaches. there will be options at the end of this year that were not available two years ago. In addition, Matt LaFleur's reputation is much higher now than it was two years ago (that's what winning does for you), so Green Bay, being a successful franchise, is an attractive destination. 

Maybe Pettine gets replaced at the end of the year, but at least the Packers should get a new ST coordinator and I'd guess that at least one position coach should be replaced with a better option.

I know some head coaches like to keep what staff they have, but we don't want the kind of McCarthy/Nolan cronyism that hurts the team.