Mennenga sucks. Fire Mennenga

MuFF

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Nah, the NFL expanded on the rule last year to include coordinators as well.

With that in mind I got suspicious of the Packers rumored interest in promoting Drayton because in any another scenario you do not promote a guy who been part of the coaching team who's special teams units severely underperformed in the past three years.

You just simply don't reward poor performance with a promotion regardless of skin colour.

I know someone pointed out Gizzi was promoted despite consistent injuries under McCarthy and the only explanation I have for this is LaFleur was limited by the team's financial budget to be spent on new staff. Some coaches were fired which took some money out of the budget and at the time he did have to hire a brand new offensive staff, some new defensive coaches and a new special teams coordinator so he must've been running low on funds to make any further changes so he had to be flexible and retain any staff that were still under contract to fill up the rest of the coaching positions. Its also possible the people on his original strength and conditioning coaches hire list were simply unavailable at the time so he was stuck with Gizzi but thankfully whatever the reason it all seemed to work out.

Enough time has passed for some of the financial burden of our previous firings to come off the books and free up money to add to the staff budget and without considering the impact of Covid on the team's finances it's possible this time round the budget will have opened up a little bit more to give LaFleur some flexibility for some new hirings on both defence and special teams. Another reason why I don't buy us being interested in promoting Drayton as we should have money to go out there and bring someone else in.

You’re right about the Rooney rule expansion.

How do you judge a coaching assistants performance? Can you tell me what Draytons responsibilities have been and whether they were done well or not? 

Edited by deathstar

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Why are we perpetuating an unverified rumor?

It is my theory on the MLF -Pettine pairing.

If you want to equate me as the one starting a rumor, that is fine by me.

If you want to go down that road, every opinion stated is "perpetuating" a rumor.

Glad he's gone but he wasn't all the problem. Whomever replaces him has to deal with the same major problem on ST. And that's inconsistent punting and a weak leg kicker who can't put kickoffs into the end zone. That's 50% of the problem Imo. Watching Crosby kick it to the 10 yard line was very frustrating Sunday. They need to train Scott over the off-season to do kickoffs also especially on cold weather games and let Mason just concentrate on FG.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chili said:

Nah, the NFL expanded on the rule last year to include coordinators as well.

With that in mind I got suspicious of the Packers rumored interest in promoting Drayton because in any another scenario you do not promote a guy who been part of the coaching team who's special teams units severely underperformed in the past three years.

You just simply don't reward poor performance with a promotion regardless of skin colour.

I know someone pointed out Gizzi was promoted despite consistent injuries under McCarthy and the only explanation I have for this is LaFleur was limited by the team's financial budget to be spent on new staff. Some coaches were fired which took some money out of the budget and at the time he did have to hire a brand new offensive staff, some new defensive coaches and a new special teams coordinator so he must've been running low on funds to make any further changes so he had to be flexible and retain any staff that were still under contract to fill up the rest of the coaching positions. Its also possible the people on his original strength and conditioning coaches hire list were simply unavailable at the time so he was stuck with Gizzi but thankfully whatever the reason it all seemed to work out.

Enough time has passed for some of the financial burden of our previous firings to come off the books and free up money to add to the staff budget and without considering the impact of Covid on the team's finances it's possible this time round the budget will have opened up a little bit more to give LaFleur some flexibility for some new hirings on both defence and special teams. Another reason why I don't buy us being interested in promoting Drayton as we should have money to go out there and bring someone else in.

We rewarded two OCs with bottom of the league performing offenses with HC positions in the last 15 years. The results there have been another HOF QB, 6 NFCCG's, 1 SB title and 12 winning seasons.

I don't get where the mindset that because you work underneath someone, you are just a lesser version of your superior. It's quite laughable to me. The reason Gizzi worked is because he got promoted and brought his own thoughts and ideas that he wasn't able to execute when he wasn't in charge of the S&C. 

Drayton isn't Zook and he's not Mennenga. Just like Mac and LaFleur aren't guys who command bottom level NFL offenses. 

If you read the article I posted about Drayton it's quite easy to see how that personality blends with LaFleur and why Matt would want to promote him. Drayton is detailed and meticulous from growing up as the son of a marine, full of passion, spirituality, a good teacher and has a drive to achieve more in his career. 

No problem if LaFleur doesn't want to dip into the yearly pool of recycled ST coaches and thinks Drayton will bring more to the staff than an outsider. STs isn't rocket science, half the battle of STs is getting guys fired up to want to play it. 

• Like 3

I still interview the fallen star of Coombs who was let go by the interim coach in Det. The reason he was fired was warranted, but he had been doing good things with that unit with the Lions’ roster and also knows the division well.

I’m all for promoting from within if a guy shows he’s worth it, but no loyalty just to keep familiarity and in this case continuity. The whole point is we can’t continue to do what we’ve been doing.

In my opinion, this is an important hire with how bad ST has been for so long.  As pointed out, we need a kicker who can get touchbacks automatically and a punter to be more consistent, but our coverage and return game has been a liability. For all the flack Janis deservedly caught at WR, I would love to see a back of the roster guy who can play gunner like that again.

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We rewarded two OCs with bottom of the league performing offenses with HC positions in the last 15 years. The results there have been another HOF QB, 6 NFCCG's, 1 SB title and 12 winning seasons.

I don't get where the mindset that because you work underneath someone, you are just a lesser version of your superior. It's quite laughable to me. The reason Gizzi worked is because he got promoted and brought his own thoughts and ideas that he wasn't able to execute when he wasn't in charge of the S&C. 

Drayton isn't Zook and he's not Mennenga. Just like Mac and LaFleur aren't guys who command bottom level NFL offenses. 

If you read the article I posted about Drayton it's quite easy to see how that personality blends with LaFleur and why Matt would want to promote him. Drayton is detailed and meticulous from growing up as the son of a marine, full of passion, spirituality, a good teacher and has a drive to achieve more in his career. 

No problem if LaFleur doesn't want to dip into the yearly pool of recycled ST coaches and thinks Drayton will bring more to the staff than an outsider. STs isn't rocket science, half the battle of STs is getting guys fired up to want to play it. 

Son of a marine and spirituality means absolutely nothing. It just screams narrow mindedness, rigidity and inflexibility.

Full of passion and a good teacher, based on what evidence? it certainly didn't improve our special teams play over the past three years.

I suppose he has drive because you need one to get this far in his career.

Sometimes when internal solutions aren't working you need to look to outside solutions to bring in new ideas and perspectives into the coaching staff, it really can be a breath of fresh air.

Drayton has learned NFL special teams coaching from observing Tom McMahon, Zook and Mennenga. It's a very mixed bag, more bad than good. McMahon coached Vinateri and McAfee so Drayton at least was exposed to high standard of ST play several years ago. What he learnt there should've carried over to Green Bay but clearly it hasn't.

Anyway I concede you're right about good coaches can be found in underperforming coaching staffs. I'm just not convinced at all with Drayton.

14 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

Why can’t we have nice things?

True ... Coombs & Rizzi presided over the #3 and #5 ST units according to Rick Gosselin's rankings, and the Packers went with career assistant and college ST coach Menenga.  Dear lord the Packers need to aim high for once.  Rizzi was in the building and the cheapo Packers with perennially bad special teams let him out of the building.  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

STs isn't rocket science, half the battle of STs is getting guys fired up to want to play it. 

And that was my issue with our specials this past year.  Specifically blocking on kick and punt returns.  There was little effort.

We did have effort on some coverage units.  It wasn't across the board, but some guys did give effort.

Label me very interested in a Specials coach that is detailed and meticulous.  On the plus side, he also looks like he could suit up, run down there and make a tackle.

If St. Brown continues to let guys run right by him that he should be blocking, this guy looks like he will have no problem lighting him up right away.

Guys, we need to stop with this thing about kickoffs. Crosby can kick it out of the back of the endzone with ease. It's a strategic decision not to. 

The chances of getting the ball back off a fumble on a kick off is noticeably higher than allowing a TD. 

With an even adequate coverage unit, dropping the ball on the 1 with decent hang time is going to see a worse return than a touchback.

Crosby's leg isn't the problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Guys, we need to stop with this thing about kickoffs. Crosby can kick it out of the back of the endzone with ease. It's a strategic decision not to. 

The chances of getting the ball back off a fumble on a kick off is noticeably higher than allowing a TD. 

With an even adequate coverage unit, dropping the ball on the 1 with decent hang time is going to see a worse return than a touchback.

Crosby's leg isn't the problem.

I'd kick it out if the endzone every single time if possible and keep my players healthy.  

I mean, at least they got rid of Mennenga. That was half the battle right there. No clue if Drayton will do well or not, and considering the history of GB ST for what feels like forever, I think it's ok to be skeptical

Much more interested in seeing who LaFleur tabs as his next DC.