The possibility exists, prepare for it

Big T

55 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

you see what happened to burrow?  you see what happened to dak?  no shot lawrence risks going back to college and blowing out an ankle or knee.  it's just not a smart business move.

ABSOLUTELY, he has everything to lose and nothing to gain if he goes back to Clemson. He gets his degree next month why would he go back.

12 hours ago, Big T said:

Here's the truth of the matter T Law may very well return to play another year, which would leave the Jets with the only other choice which would be Fields.

But if its not  T Law, there are other QB's which will go in the top 10. This leaves the Jets in a quandary, especially if they believe in Darnold.

Presume for a second that the Jets lose out on T Law, and they believe Darnold is the man.

They are positioned to pick up some major draft capital in 2020 and beyond, because Fields is next up,  and the Jets if they feel otherwise could still pick up a QB who is ascending in the draft.

Consider if you will what could be, if your really hyped about seeing the Jets make the playoffs and stop being a laughing stock, this is a great scenario.

The Jets still need to solidify the OL including the C position, a solid RB, 2 game changing WR's, not to mention CB's and perhaps a S.

I know, I know we could fill many of those holes in FA, but FA never works unless it is a key guy, a singular key guy, who can be a difference maker.

FA has shown, that otherwise, you build though the draft.

The possibility exists, and you should prepare for it.

But what say you, take Fields? Pass on Fields? Trade the pick, get some more draft capitol?

Heck the Jets if they don't draft well this year, make the right player personal moves, could be vying for the number one pick next year as well.

What makes you think he is going back to Clemson???   You must have been listening to STEPHEN A SMITH. and the rest of those clowns on ESPN. I do agree with the rest of your post. 

As for click bate, you could not be any further from the truth. There are to an extent lesser known QB's who are going in the first round not called Lawrence or Fields.

They likewise are highly regarded and top picks come the draft. Wilson, Trask, Lance and Mac Jones.

How is it, that QB's that fall further down are the ones who excel and the top picks for the most part are underwhelming.

This is not to say that Lawrence and Fields have their respective place, but many of the QB's mentioned are rising up the boards, who the hell was doing the evaluating

when Mahomes or Prescott came out of college?

McCagnan thought so much of the draft class that produced Darnold, Mayfield, etc. that he passed on Mahomes, Prescott before him, and Watson.

So I don't buy into the can't miss scenario, again I think that Lawrence and Fields will probably go on to have fine careers.

But lets not throw a damper on QB's taken after all the hoopla, that they actually in most cases excelled in the pro game.

10 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I strongly disagree. I think the gap is pretty wide. T Law wins big games and has done it for YEARS. Fields has better WR, OL and does not shine in big games. T Law throws a lot better deep ball and has a lot faster release on it. Then you add the size to it where T Law will have very few to 0 passes batted down where Fields will have some batted down. I honesty don't see 1 area where Fields is better than T Law or even equal to him. Having this in mind it is not even close. The media wants it to be close to get some drama like the Leaf and Manning thing. The really football people knew Manning was the easy choice just like the really football people know T Law is the choice and it is not close at all. T Law is probably a better prospect than Luck and is pushing for Elway as the best QB prospect EVER to come out of the draft. 

We’ll have to see how things shake out. I have no issues with Lawrence being QB1. He’s proving over an extended time he should be QB1. But he’s not a perfect prospect. The biggest flaw I see in his game is his deep ball accuracy. He under throws the long ball. His WRs have always been strong at the catch point. So they win those jump balls. Fields also isn’t perfect. 

22 hours ago, Big T said:

I guess your posts are all that ever REALLY matter huh?

Nope this was just an unnecessary thread here for a fan base that is suffering through this season to begin with. We are well aware of the possibilities without you creating a new thread to enlighten us all. 

On 11/23/2020 at 8:57 AM, Big T said:

As for click bate, you could not be any further from the truth. There are to an extent lesser known QB's who are going in the first round not called Lawrence or Fields.

They likewise are highly regarded and top picks come the draft. Wilson, Trask, Lance and Mac Jones.

How is it, that QB's that fall further down are the ones who excel and the top picks for the most part are underwhelming.

This is not to say that Lawrence and Fields have their respective place, but many of the QB's mentioned are rising up the boards, who the hell was doing the evaluating

when Mahomes or Prescott came out of college?

McCagnan thought so much of the draft class that produced Darnold, Mayfield, etc. that he passed on Mahomes, Prescott before him, and Watson.

So I don't buy into the can't miss scenario, again I think that Lawrence and Fields will probably go on to have fine careers.

But lets not throw a damper on QB's taken after all the hoopla, that they actually in most cases excelled in the pro game.

QB's picked in the first 5 picks usually go to crappy teams that need more than just a QB to be relevant.  QB's picked later in the draft are entering a better situation. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 7:23 AM, ekill08x said:

Nope this was just an unnecessary thread here for a fan base that is suffering through this season to begin with. We are well aware of the possibilities without you creating a new thread to enlighten us all. 

what a brain

On 11/24/2020 at 8:24 AM, xrade said:

QB's picked in the first 5 picks usually go to crappy teams that need more than just a QB to be relevant.  QB's picked later in the draft are entering a better situation. 

Exactly. It's on the GM to surround and turn the thing around with that QB. Not every GM can do that. That doesn't make the player not a can't miss player. You put Darnold on DAL and he's a franchise QB. Why? Bc they have talent around him to make him succeed. To just take out the situation the QB is going into is idiotic.

This original post just wasn't well thought out ( @Big T ). It's in essence saying that any can't miss prospect at QB is a fail. Without taking the countless others factors in... like the team they're going to, what's around them weapon wise, who's the HC, who's the OC, what happened in the seasons after they were drafted to help them, etc.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. It's on the GM to surround and turn the thing around with that QB. Not every GM can do that. That doesn't make the player not a can't miss player. You put Darnold on DAL and he's a franchise QB. Why? Bc they have talent around him to make him succeed. To just take out the situation the QB is going into is idiotic.

This original post just wasn't well thought out ( @Big T ). It's in essence saying that any can't miss prospect at QB is a fail. Without taking the countless others factors in... like the team they're going to, what's around them weapon wise, who's the HC, who's the OC, what happened in the seasons after they were drafted to help them, etc.

I have no issue agreeing with you.

1 minute ago, Big T said:

I have no issue agreeing with you.

I just think what we need to hope for is that we can land TLaw and that JD is smart enough to help him out RIGHT AWAY. This doesn't need to be a 3 year process to help him. Thats waiting too long. Go get a legit #1 option at WR in FA. There's talent that will be available in FA and available probably via trade as well. Go get an OG to help protect TLaw and help the run game. Go get a difference maker at RB to help the QB out. And don't stop with just getting 1 WR. Draft one with a quality pick as well.

And arguably bigger than any of this is getting the right HC and OC in here to get the best out of him.

I know it seems like a lot to address in 1 off season. But it's 100% doable. We "should" 100% fire Gase on Black Monday. So its on JD to get the guy he thinks can turn this thing around at HC. If we're holding the 1st pick and TLaw declares. We instantly should be a very desirable team for HCs.

With what will be over 90mill in cap space to utilize in FA... we can go hard after players. 1/2 the league doesn't have money to spend (either over the cap already or have less than 20mill to spend). So we can make a splash.

And in the draft we even after drafting TLaw (lets say) will still hold a late 1st and the 1st pick in the 2nd. Let's assume we tarde Darnold away for a late 2nd (or even a early 3rd) as well and we also hold 2 3rd. That has the potential to really change things as well. With what could be 3 picks in the top 33. And 7 picks in the top 95 or so picks

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I just think what we need to hope for is that we can land TLaw and that JD is smart enough to help him out RIGHT AWAY. This doesn't need to be a 3 year process to help him. Thats waiting too long. Go get a legit #1 option at WR in FA. There's talent that will be available in FA and available probably via trade as well. Go get an OG to help protect TLaw and help the run game. Go get a difference maker at RB to help the QB out. And don't stop with just getting 1 WR. Draft one with a quality pick as well.

And arguably bigger than any of this is getting the right HC and OC in here to get the best out of him.

I know it seems like a lot to address in 1 off season. But it's 100% doable. We "should" 100% fire Gase on Black Monday. So its on JD to get the guy he thinks can turn this thing around at HC. If we're holding the 1st pick and TLaw declares. We instantly should be a very desirable team for HCs.

With what will be over 90mill in cap space to utilize in FA... we can go hard after players. 1/2 the league doesn't have money to spend (either over the cap already or have less than 20mill to spend). So we can make a splash.

And in the draft we even after drafting TLaw (lets say) will still hold a late 1st and the 1st pick in the 2nd. Let's assume we tarde Darnold away for a late 2nd (or even a early 3rd) as well and we also hold 2 3rd. That has the potential to really change things as well. With what could be 3 picks in the top 33. And 7 picks in the top 95 or so picks

I agree with you with firing Gase, and bringing on a whole new crew. But I guess it was just a bad time to be drafted by the Jets for Darnold. Having never given him the tools to succeed.

Last year, late in the year he came on, with a worse OL if you can believe it, than this years bunch. All his wideouts from last year are gone, except for Crowder.

But now we're ready to move on with Lawrence/Fields and surround them with the very things Darnold was denied. There is no denying that Lawrence is a top prospect and future star in the league, not to mention this years QB class.

But I think Darnold has the right stuff to be a top QB in the league. Will he ever be a Mahomes, no, but give him the tools needed to excel. Then if he flops move on, the Jets can do this.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

I agree with you with firing Gase, and bringing on a whole new crew. But I guess it was just a bad time to be drafted by the Jets for Darnold. Having never given him the tools to succeed.

Last year, late in the year he came on, with a worse OL if you can believe it, than this years bunch. All his wideouts from last year are gone, except for Crowder.

But now we're ready to move on with Lawrence/Fields and surround them with the very things Darnold was denied. There is no denying that Lawrence is a top prospect and future star in the league, not to mention this years QB class.

But I think Darnold has the right stuff to be a top QB in the league. Will he ever be a Mahomes, no, but give him the tools needed to excel. Then if he flops move on, the Jets can do this.

There's certainly a good debate on if it's actually Sam that's the problem. That I 100% can listen to. Bc we haven't helped him. From coaching all the way down to weapons and protection. The guy was pissing into the wind since he was drafted. That was on Macc mostly. For not addressing these areas for years leaving whoever was at QB in an awful situation. But if we drafting 1st or 2nd... for me QB has to be the pick.

JD did though in 1 draft get a legit LT (Becton) and a legit WR (Mims). I think some other pieces still have to wait to develop or get different staff here to get the best out of them.

A concerning thing for us is that I don't think this is the offseason for JD to play hardball money wise and to try and acquire more picks. This team doesn't need quantity... it needs QUALITY. And his philosophy is pretty strict on not overpaying a guy. And I think that rule needs to be broken to get weapons and OL help still in here. 

We have to try as much as possible not to let what happened to Joe Burrow happen to our guy (hopefully Lawrence). It is a good start with Becton manning the blind side. 

Look, if Lawrence isn't our pick because we somehow manage to f&^% this situation up by actually bypassing Jacksonville, then I think we should look at all options. Fields does not inspire much confidence in me as a franchise QB on a piss-poor team. We need backup plans. Draft him, sure. But do not feed him to the Lions right away. Have a quality backup who can start the first 4-5 games, and then reassess. Someone like Cam Newton would be great, but even Joe Flacco is fine for a short-term role.

Also, if Lawrence is not the guy because we are no longer picking first, what about taking a run at Dak Prescott? Again, all cards should be on the table if we fall out of the top pick position.