2020 Week #12 GDT Steelers vs. Ravens

with all the injuries and covid, this better not turn into a trap game.  I can't see how a division clinching game could be a trap game , as it should be the opposite. I am hoping it's a statement game and want to expect it, but history has shown O.o

My mock draft:

1. Jayson Oweh    Penn State  EDGE

2. Liam Eichenberg   Notre Dame OT

3. Zamir White    Georgia RB

4a. Deommodore Lenoir    Oregon CB

4b. Phidarian Mathis    Alabama NT

6. Kevin Jarvis     Michigan State OG

7a. Ifeatu Melifonwu    Syracuse S

7b. Leonard Warner III    Florida State ILB

7c. Landon Dickerson   Alabama OC

5 hours ago, DR43 said:

My mock draft:

Not sure why youre posting a mock in this thread, but....I seriously doubt they draft an OLB early.   They will give Highsmith a chance.   OLB isnt out of the question, but it would likely have to be someone they are really high on.

The Steelers will be up and ready for this one. Let's hope the Ravens are still staggering and depleted enough that Mason gets some 4th quarter reps again. More likely, it'll be another one-score affair between these two. And Harbaugh will find something to whine about at some point before, during, and after the game.

16 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

When thinking about self scouting, I was really never concerned about having to make any big adjustment to stop their run game (or, contain is probably a better word).

The game got out of balance in the first half and the Ravens were able to take advantage of some opportunities and timing. 1. Spillane gets a pick six on the third play of the game. 2. Defense stops the Ravens on a potential four plays and out that doesn't happen because of the questionable personal foul on Cam. Instead of the Steelers offense getting the ball, the Ravens offense gets new life and takes advantage of the opportunity given. they score at the 8:48 mark (almost half the quarter the defense was on the field before the offense runs even one play). 3. Steelers offense (which typically starts slow) is pinned down inside the 2 @ 15 or 16 yard line. A few plays later Chase Claypool fumbles and the Ravens are in business at the Steelers 44 yard line @ 7:58 of the first quarter (defense back out on the field for a third time already). Bud gets a strip sack in the red zone and Vince recovers. Steelers get a great turnover/stop 5:31 of the first quarter. The offense stalls and Berry has a short punt of 34 yards that puts the Ravens near the 50. They hold the ball the remainder of the first quarter. They force a punt and pin the Steelers inside their 20 again.Steelers offense holds the ball until 12:49 and punts again. Ravens run the ball on the Steelers going 80 yards and score at the 7:28 mark of the second quarter.

Offense moves the ball a little, but the drive stalls at the Ravens 40 and Berry Pooch punts. Steelers defense back on the field at 3:44 after punt. The Ravens possess the ball the remainder of the quarter and kick a FG on the final play of the half. Ravens 17 - Steelers 7 Defense exhausted! I think they game, their rushing effectiveness and some other factors are completely different if the offense can hold onto the ball better and the defense was not out their defending the short field most of the first half. I think this is what wore down the defense and honestly the Ravens attacked our run defense and did a great job of attacking. The second half they had some success, but not to the same extent as the offense came alive later in the third quarter. Complimentary football was played a little more in the second half

We should organically get better by virtue of Tyson being available all game and Hilton being here this time. We also had 3 weeks to prepare new sub packages with guys like Allen and brought in a run and tackle guy that they played around with (even for 1 snap) in a 1-5-5 yesterday. Feels like that should be enough to address it without changing anything we did attacking wise. 

The fact that their RB room is taking a hit also helps. 

I agree with everything that you said here. I also think the Steelers need to have more offensive success.  To me the best defense is still a good, ball and time controlling offense. The Steelers need to learn to be more consistent with this as that is how you beat great QB's and teams (First quarter and a third of Tennessee was near flawless football minus some balls on the ground and some penalties). I would use the same game plan.

15 hours ago, 3rivers said:

with all the injuries and covid, this better not turn into a trap game.  I can't see how a division clinching game could be a trap game , as it should be the opposite. I am hoping it's a statement game and want to expect it, but history has shown O.o

The term "trap game" gets overused. This is a team that was 14-2 last year with an MVP at QB, great defense, strong rushing attack and effective passing game. They had only loss one game prior to our first meeting. Many say that they outplayed the Steelers game one. They put up some great numbers, but honestly some of that was not as obvious as it appears (as I explained in my response to Dcash4's post).  This is a team that is in the play-off, have dropped two games, are playing an AFC North rival, and are looking to get revenge from a game they felt that they should have won. Trap??? Only if you are foolish.  The Ravens are still a very good football team. One of the teams that I don't think anyone would want to see in the play-offs. They are a tough out!  

7 hours ago, irish11 said:

The Steelers will be up and ready for this one. Let's hope the Ravens are still staggering and depleted enough that Mason gets some 4th quarter reps again. More likely, it'll be another one-score affair between these two. And Harbaugh will find something to whine about at some point before, during, and after the game.

I like Coach Harbaugh, but you are correct, he does do his fair share of complaining.  He seemed a little chippy at the beginning and end of the Titans game with Coach Vrabel and his team. Though both played it down, it looks like he pulled a "Tom Brady" in not shaking hands at the end of the Titans game. Both claim that wasn't the case, so I will believe them.....But?

33 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The Ravens NEED this game.  They are going to come in desperate .  One small advantage is that they can't use their practice facilities. I expect a tough game like the last.

I would like to see the Steelers get up early and play a more aggressive brand of offensive football. It bodes better for our them.  Short week, the Ravens have to travel, they are short some players, they are desperate to win, and they are playing a hated, but respected rival. I'd like o see the Steelers get up and keep their foot on their throats so to speak. This team doesn't do that very often.  Many games they could have put away in the third quarter that they made mistakes (turnovers or drive stopping drops, penalties,etc.). The biggest difference in the Ravens passing game in 2020 is at times they are now passing from behind instead of from in front with the running game chugging along. This Ravens team is very similar to some teams that the Steelers had in the late 90's and early 2000's with the defense, running game and Kordell or Touchdown Tommy at QB. They both passed much better ahead than behind.  Although I was always a Tommy Maddox fan.  I think the Steelers are the better team in 2020. We will find out if I am right or not.  If the Steelers improve their run defense, clean up some missed coverage assignments, and can "contain Lamar Jackson" I like the Steelers chances to win at home. Even before the Covid news, I didn't think this one would come down to the last drive as many other contest between these two have. 

17 hours ago, DR43 said:

My mock draft:

the name jarvis doesn't step foot onto steelers property. Subway is down the road, and are hiring

21 hours ago, August4th said:

With regards to Brandon Williams: If I recall, if you are deemed a close contact, you have to self-isolate for five days, show no symptoms and  test negative each time before you can resume practice or games.  With the game on Thursday, Night (4 days) anyone deemed a close contact would be out as well.  Is this accurate? It is said there are now others although they aren't saying if they are close contacts or actually have the virus. 

Some news courtesy of Steelers Depot:

Steelers TE Vance McDonald was taken off/activate from the Covid-19 list for the Steelers. Kevin Radar was signed to the roster and Zach Gentry placed on IR, but his knee is not said to be as bad as they originally thought and he may be able to return late in the year or the play-offs. 

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/steelers-activate-te-vance-mcdonald-from-covid-19-list-te-zach-gentry-placed-on-ir/