Slingin' Sammy

14 hours ago, rich homie said:

From right now on paper it should end up

4. Titans

5. Ravens

6. Browns

7. Colts

with all four teams finishing 11-5.

The results in my opinion that could change the seeding up from most likely to least:

The Dolphins could beat the Bills, which would catapult them to 11-5 and the 5 seed while knocking the Colts out

The Ravens could lose to the Giants, dropping them to 10-6 and the 7 seed

The Colts could beat the Steelers, which would get them the 4 seed and knock Tennessee to 5

The Browns could lose to NYG, which would knock them out and push Miami into the 7th seed.

The Browns could also end up beating the Steelers Week 17, who may rest a lot of guys since they'll have the division wrapped up and are out of contention for the #1 seed, which would propel them to 5th.

(And they absolutely could lose to the NYG this week)

13 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The Browns could also end up beating the Steelers Week 17, who may rest a lot of guys since they'll have the division wrapped up and are out of contention for the #1 seed, which would propel them to 5th.

likewise if the browns cough and sputter a bit and the steelers hold the rest of the road home, we could get a browns v steelers double header in consecutive weeks

ngl that would be awesome, the storylines at play there would be unmatched in recent footballing history i would argue tbh

14 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve honestly considered the thought of how crazy it would be if the Steelers lost to the Brows in week 17 to rest their starters, only to play a 7th seed Browns team and lose to them in the wildcard round because of it.

20 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Man, if the Browns don’t make the playoffs after being 9-3 and losing to the Ravens after Lamar didn’t even wipe so that he could come in on 4th down that would be completely demoralizing.

I think they take care of business and get in though.

7 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

likewise if the browns cough and sputter a bit and the steelers hold the rest of the road home, we could get a browns v steelers double header in consecutive weeks

ngl that would be awesome, the storylines at play there would be unmatched in recent footballing history i would argue tbh

I mean, if the Browns lay an egg and lose to the NYG this week, they're in real trouble. They have the tiebreaker over both the Titans and Colts, but they lose the tiebreaker to Baltimore, who will win out down the stretch with their last 3 games. 

Browns/Pitt

Browns/Buffalo

Browns/Tennessee or Indy

...are the three possibilities here, as well as:

Browns vs. sitting at home and watching the playoffs because they lost to the Giants and Steelers and finished 10-6

15 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I do too. I'm not a fan of Baker's personality (I know he's maturing, but his aura annoys me. Don't shoot me Browns fans!), but he showed a lot on Monday. Of course, Baltimore losing some key players turned the game around for him, but still- he willed his team back over and over again on prime time. There's potential there. If he can play like a top-10 QB, which I believe he's capable of- then Cleveland will make it. The issue is their defense but they should be able to compensate on offense against weaker competition. 

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’ve honestly considered the thought of how crazy it would be if the Steelers lost to the Brows in week 17 to rest their starters, only to play a 7th seed Browns team and lose to them in the wildcard round because of it.

I'd assume that you meant a 6th seeded Browns team here? They have the tiebreakers against both Tennessee and Indianapolis, so it's likely that the Browns are 11-5 (beating the NYJ and one of NYG and Pitt per your scenario) and beat out the odd team out between the Colts and Titans for that 6th spot. Baltimore likely clinched the #5 spot with that win on Monday night, given the rest of their schedule.

20 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Man, if the Browns don’t make the playoffs after being 9-3 and losing to the Ravens after Lamar didn’t even wipe so that he could come in on 4th down that would be completely demoralizing.

55266104.jpg

20 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I'd like to think that this year is the start of a culture change and they've finally righted this thing, but then I remember that this would be the most Cleveland thing to happen in quite some time. You look good, then you lay an egg in heartbreaking fashion, only to rebound and go 10-5, then you lose to Pittsburgh Week 17 and and miss the playoffs just like 2007 at 10-6.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

55266104.jpg

I'd like to think that this year is the start of a culture change and they've finally righted this thing, but then I remember that this would be the most Cleveland thing to happen in quite some time. You look good, then you lay an egg in heartbreaking fashion, only to rebound and go 10-5, then you lose to Pittsburgh Week 17 and and miss the playoffs just like 2007 at 10-6.

Eh...I think the culture has shifted regardless of how this season turns out. You finally have competent coaching, a very good offense, and Baker has brought some swagger. Of course the defense needs work, but that can be addressed. As long as Baker continues to progress I think you're going to be a perennial playoff contender. If Baker becomes an elite QB- then watch out- the Ravens and Browns rivalry will be legit.  

6 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

wonder what the highest points differential for a non qualifying playoff team is in the last 20~ years

feels bad because there's even an extra spot this year and you won't make it with +100

There are TWO teams that could be that team, tbh - although one I think is much more likely

The twist of the knife would be that a team can go 11-5 and get in while having a negative differential

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

55266104.jpg

We thought that in Buffalo too, but the culture willed it to happen. Granted now we are gonna win the division and have a home playoff game and there won’t be any fans in the stands.

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'd assume that you meant a 6th seeded Browns team here? They have the tiebreakers against both Tennessee and Indianapolis, so it's likely that the Browns are 11-5 (beating the NYJ and one of NYG and Pitt per your scenario) and beat out the odd team out between the Colts and Titans for that 6th spot. Baltimore likely clinched the #5 spot with that win on Monday night, given the rest of their schedule.

I don’t know the seeding anymore. Last I looked at the playoff machine it had them in the 7th seed in some scenarios. It’s all too complicated for my tastes.

But my point doesn’t change. If Pitt rests starters and it turns out that the Browns win the game and only get into the playoffs because they won said game... but then they play each other the following week and the Browns win again, that prospect of being eliminated by a team that you could have prevented entry into the playoffs would be killer and very demoralizing and the media would eat that up for sure.

On 12/15/2020 at 6:02 PM, rich homie said:

From right now on paper it should end up

4. Titans

5. Ravens

6. Browns

7. Colts

with all four teams finishing 11-5.

The results in my opinion that could change the seeding up from most likely to least:

The Dolphins could beat the Bills, which would catapult them to 11-5 and the 5 seed while knocking the Colts out

The Ravens could lose to the Giants, dropping them to 10-6 and the 7 seed

The Colts could beat the Steelers, which would get them the 4 seed and knock Tennessee to 5

The Browns could lose to NYG, which would knock them out and push Miami into the 7th seed.

Why is the Colts losing to Houston next week not even a possible outcome in this?